Yesterday, the Volt received yet another honor, this time from north of the American border by the Automobile Journalists Association of Canada (AJAC), which named the Voltec propulsion system as the winner of the “2012 Best New Technology” award.

The occasion was the Canadian International Auto Show, and following "rigorous" judging of 10 new technology entries by AJAC’s Technology Jury made up of 12 of Canada’s leading automotive journalists, the Voltec system came out on top.

“We are very proud to receive AJAC’s 2012 Best New Technology award for the Voltec propulsion system,” said Kevin Williams, president and managing director at GM of Canada. “The Voltec propulsion system is the heart of the Chevrolet Volt, which combines pure electric drive and an efficient range-extending engine to create the only electric vehicle on the market today that does not require a customer to make compromises on when and where they can travel.”

This is now the second major award won in Canada by the extended-range electric Volt this year. The car was also recognized not long ago as Motoring TV’s “2012 Best New Green Car of the Year.”

The budding Canadian list of acknowledgments also adds to a long list of awards and accolades won by the Volt in 2011, and yesterday's honor won’t likely be the last.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Changes ahead at GM-Volt

Friends and readers of GM-Volt’s home page,

Today will mark the beginning of a transition for me, where I will be taking on some additional responsibilities here at VerticalScope.

As many of you know there is less in the way of Volt news coming directly from GM than there was in the earlier years. GM is now in process of ramping up acceptance for the E-REV while not saying when exactly the next Voltec model will be built. After the last year of writing daily for GM-Volt, I will be adding some new responsibilities to my plate in the form of also writing for the HybridCars.com site. I will continue to post on GM-Volt, but with fewer topics to write about, and the forum tending to "break news" far quicker than I can, I felt I would be better utilized to spread out my writing across both sites.

HybridCars.com is actually about all advanced vehicle technologies, and we will of course also cover the Volt. If you haven't visited the site yet, I encourage you to do so.

This was my first time behind the wheel of a Volt when I traveled to Washington, D.C. for the annual EDTA conference last April.

As for GM-Volt’s home page, the offer has always been open, and now is repeated: If anyone is interested in writing, either from time to time, or if you’re able to commit to a certain number of posts per week, please contact me at [email protected]

Naturally, the central focus is Volt news, and related topics. These could include GM advanced-tech news, other advanced-tech vehicles, battery tech, infrastructural issues, Volt owner stories and anecdotes, etc. If you think you’d be interested, please first email me with the idea. Odds are story ideas will be fine, but we’d like to keep content within certain guidelines.

It has been my privilege to write for you thus far and look forward to your support as I add some additional responsibilities to my plate.

Thank you,

Jeff Cobb
Editor-In-Chief
GM-Volt.com and HybridCars.com