GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gm-volt exerts, I need your help:

Driving today I depleted my ev range and the ICE attempted to turn on. A propulsion power reduced message and the CEL came on. Jumping the volt had no effect. The initializing please wait to shift message takes a long time to cycle when turning on the car. I got a tow home and plugged the volt into my 240V charger. The car displayed a not able to charge message and the CIL stayed yellow. I have not had a chance to get the codes but will update tomorrow.

·
Administrator
20,346 Posts
This issue is common with Volts that have no model year.

Get the codes.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

I see a trip to your GM Service Center...:(

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I think we've seen reports of similar behavior before. IIRC a few times it just went away and never returned. I'm thinking it's not a 12v but that's always a possibility.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,508 Posts
KJ, have you tried disconnecting the 12v battery for 30 seconds and reconnecting to force all systems to reboot? Assume you know that all you have to do to get the codes is push the blue OnStar button and ask for them.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Gm-volt exerts, I need your help:

Driving today I depleted my ev range and the ICE attempted to turn on. A propulsion power reduced message and the CEL came on. Jumping the volt had no effect.
'Jumping the Volt' had no effect on what? The car wouldn't come on? The engine wouldn't start? What did you do, when and why?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your help so far. Some updates:

Model Year: 2012
DTCs: P0AFA, P1E00, P0BBE

I can get the car to power on, but the dash shows 0 mi on the battery and 252 mi on my gas tank. The gas tank is grey like I am running on EV mode.

I pulled the 12v battery out over lunch and it read 12.1v and when I hooked it up to a battery charger, it read as 100% charged. I called OnStar to try and get my DTCs but they were unable to communicate with the car.

By has no effect I meant that the ICE would still not turn on when hooked up through jumper cables, both in the engine compartment and then directly to the battery.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have already been to a Chevy dealership twice and they told me it was a dead 12v battery. Replaced it and sent me on my way only to have the problem repeat.

View of dash attached
uploadfromtaptalk1445294250988.jpg

Interesting note, the obdii reader says for trouble code p0afa my hybrid battery pack remaining life is 18.0%

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
By has no effect I meant that the ICE would still not turn on when hooked up through jumper cables, both in the engine compartment and then directly to the battery.
How are you trying to 'turn it'? Your complaint is that it did not run when you hit end of battery, but that's not the same thing, then, to connecting the 12V battery up?

I'm sure you are trying the right things, I'm just confused over what you mean.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried to jump start the volt since the last time i had this issue with propusion power reduced message and the generator not kicking in, they told me it was a dead 12v battery, which a jump would fix i would think. Well maybe not fix but aleast getting it running again. I am getting in the car and pushing the power button. The Initializing.... Wait to shift screen takes a lot longer than usual and then my center screen turns on and I can listen to the radio, turn on the A/c fan to blow but no heat or cool. I can't charge the volt battery for some reason and the generator will not kick on even though the volt battery is depleted. My car cannot go anywhere since I can't generate power or charge my volt battery. Thank you again for all the help, its so frustrating not knowing what the issue is or how to fix it.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Did you get the jump in the proper place on the Volt?

Have you contactacted the Volt advisors yet?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1)Yes
2)Volt advisor? Do you mean OnStar? I tried to talk to what they called a technical advisor but couldnt help since they couldn't communicate with the vehicle

Update when I plug in the volt I get this message
uploadfromtaptalk1445296361591.jpg

·
Registered
261 Posts
Keep in mind the 12V battery only powers the computers and the accessoies devices. It does not "crank" the engine like a standard car. The big battery acutually rotates the ICE to make it run. With the car ON, when you raise the hood, the engine should start.

18% is near the standard lower SOC for the big battery.

Sounds like you have some basic electrical issues.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
1)Yes
2)Volt advisor? Do you mean OnStar? I tried to talk to what they called a technical advisor but couldnt help since they couldn't communicate with the vehicle

Update when I plug in the volt I get this message
View attachment 89650

The Volt Advisors are here...

If you have any further questions feel free to contact the
Chevrolet Volt & Spark EV Advisor Team:
(877) 486-5846
Chevrolet Volt & Spark EV Advisor Hours:
Monday - Friday 9AM to 9PM EST.
Closed on Saturday and Sunday.
[email protected]
https://twitter.com/ChevyVolt
http://https://www.facebook.com/chevroletvolt

·
Administrator
20,346 Posts
Model Year: 2012
DTCs: P0AFA, P1E00, P0BBE
P0AFA = High Voltage Battery Pack Voltage too low
P0BBE = Hybrid Battery Pack Voltage Variation
P1E00 is generic "there is a problem"

Here is a thread with the same codes. It seems it is possible to be a 12V issue such as a bad 12V cell or it may be the battery terminal connections are not tight. See http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...AY!-P0BBE-P0AFA-and-P1E00&p=967762#post967762

The other option is something is wrong with the main battery.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I've still not idea what you mean 'jump start' if you are expecting the engine to start up.

The engine is cranked over by the traction battery, not the 12V battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the 12volt battery and then pulling the main power disconnect for big battery that sits inside the center console? Worth a shot I suppose...

·
Administrator
20,346 Posts
then pulling the main power disconnect for big battery that sits inside the center console
My understanding is doing that will brick the car, requiring a flatbed tow to the dealer to repair it. Now maybe that's just an internet rumor, but if you try this, do it at the dealer in case plugging in the disconnect again does not unbrick the car.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts