GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see Chevy offers a Volt watch. Wouldn't it be cool if they actually offered a sharp looking watch that also doubled as a FOB? (and had all of the features of the remote phone app) I have wondered why Tesla hasn't done this yet....maybe GM can beat them to the punch ):..........

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I see Chevy offers a Volt watch. Wouldn't it be cool if they actually offered a sharp looking watch that also doubled as a FOB? (and had all of the features of the remote phone app) I have wondered why Tesla hasn't done this yet....maybe GM can beat them to the punch ):..........
Chevrolet does offer the MyChevrolet App that works with the Apple Watch and iPhone. With the watch app you can use the fob functions but you need to be close, within BT range, to the phone to communicate between the watch app, the phone and the vehicle. You need to authenticate before you can use the remote fob functions by either entering a PIN directly on the watch or entering a PIN or using Touch ID on the iPhone.

The MyChevrolet App for the Apple Watch will also display a map showing the Volt's location when parked. When using Apple Maps the MyChevrolet App on the Apple Watch provides haptic feedback along with displaying turn instructions according to the active route.

Since Apple seems to have moved beyond Touch Id for their latest iPhones I don't hold much hope for the Apple Watch ever supporting Touch Id but maybe, if they add a camera to the Apple Watch in the future, you will be able to authenticate using facial recognition so you can use the remote fob functions in the MyChevrolet App without having to enter a PIN every time you want to remote start the Volt or else dig out the iPhone, open the MyChevrolet App and enter the PIN or authenticate using Touch Id.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In the latest MyChevrolet app, there’s a setting for the Apple Watch to save your PIN. I wish I could use my LTE watch (remote Fob) standalone without my phone nearby.

It would be awesome to be able to drive my Gen2 Volt with only my Apple Watch, no fob.

Chevrolet does offer the MyChevrolet App that works with the Apple Watch and iPhone. With the watch app you can use the fob functions but you need to be close, within BT range, to the phone to communicate between the watch app, the phone and the vehicle. You need to authenticate before you can use the remote fob functions by either entering a PIN directly on the watch or entering a PIN or using Touch ID on the iPhone.

The MyChevrolet App for the Apple Watch will also display a map showing the Volt's location when parked. When using Apple Maps the MyChevrolet App on the Apple Watch provides haptic feedback along with displaying turn instructions according to the active route.

Since Apple seems to have moved beyond Touch Id for their latest iPhones I don't hold much hope for the Apple Watch ever supporting Touch Id but maybe, if they add a camera to the Apple Watch in the future, you will be able to authenticate using facial recognition so you can use the remote fob functions in the MyChevrolet App without having to enter a PIN every time you want to remote start the Volt or else dig out the iPhone, open the MyChevrolet App and enter the PIN or authenticate using Touch Id.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I didn't even know we were this far along with a possible watch/vehicle relationship. I was just hoping and suggesting that GM could build a cool looking and reliable wearable FOB that would have functionality similar to other "smartwatches".

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Thanks guys, I didn't even know we were this far along with a possible watch/vehicle relationship. I was just hoping and suggesting that GM could build a cool looking and reliable wearable FOB that would have functionality similar to other "smartwatches".
If you already have an iPhone the Apple Watch is a nice extension of the MyChevrolet App capabilities. As noted by sosmerc, the MyChevrolet App on the Apple Watch does not currently work with the LTE wireless connection so you can skip the LTE option on the Apple Watch unless you want to use the LTE connectivity for text messaging, phone calls and Apple Pay as these all work with the LTE connection (meaning you can leave your iPhone at home, powered on and you will still be able send and receive phone calls and text messages. ApplePay works with LTE on the Apple Watch so you can also leave your wallet at home when you go for a walk/run and still pick up a latte afterwards.)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 2017 LT, an Apple Watch 3, and an iPhone X. I've been playing with the idea of leaving my iPhone and fob AND KEY in the car but that's not working as of yet. Currently, I run with the physical key. I am able to lock/unlock the car with the phone, and then, with the watch. I have saved the PIN within the My Chevrolet app / Apple Watch option.

But the watch unlock doesn't work after a couple hour run! In that instance, I stand next to my car, 2-3 feet from the phone sitting inside and still turned on. I open the watch app, and the "dead phone" icon appears on the watch. So close but yet so far! Any ideas? I was thinking it might be because Face ID is enabled within the app, and I'm not able to look at the phone from outside the car.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I have a 2017 LT, an Apple Watch 3, and an iPhone X. I've been playing with the idea of leaving my iPhone and fob AND KEY in the car but that's not working as of yet. Currently, I run with the physical key. I am able to lock/unlock the car with the phone, and then, with the watch. I have saved the PIN within the My Chevrolet app / Apple Watch option.

But the watch unlock doesn't work after a couple hour run! In that instance, I stand next to my car, 2-3 feet from the phone sitting inside and still turned on. I open the watch app, and the "dead phone" icon appears on the watch. So close but yet so far! Any ideas? I was thinking it might be because Face ID is enabled within the app, and I'm not able to look at the phone from outside the car.
I have an Apple Watch 4, also had the 3, and pondered this scenario. Have you tried closing the MyChevrolet Watch App and opening the app again? You could try turning off Face ID and using a PIN to unlock the iPhone but if the iPhone is locked you may not be able to use the MyChevrolet App until you unlock the phone. My iPhone SE only has Touch ID but the same issue would apply, I can't use Touch ID or enter a PIN to unlock the iPhone if the phone is locked inside the Volt. What would happen if you set the iPhone so it never locks? If you have an OnStar plan you should be able to use the Apple Watch to contact OnStar by phone, give the OnStar representative your PIN and the representative can unlock the Volt.

·
Registered
81 Posts
but if the iPhone is locked you may not be able to use the MyChevrolet App until you unlock the phone. My iPhone SE only has Touch ID but the same issue would apply, I can't use Touch ID or enter a PIN to unlock the iPhone if the phone is locked inside the Volt.
Yeah, I think that's the crux of the problem. Kinda dumb, considering that the Apple Watch is already secured by a PIN and if removed from the wrist it is locked. As for these ideas:

> What would happen if you set the iPhone so it never locks?
Seems like a fragile solution. Maybe the battery runs out while you're out running, maybe you press the lock button unintentionally while setting it down, etc.

> If you have an OnStar plan you should be able to use the Apple Watch to contact OnStar by phone, give the OnStar representative your PIN and the representative can unlock the Volt.

Very workable, but probably not worth the extra effort; carrying the physical key is less burdensome then calling / explaining yourself to OnStar reps. I have found that the key slices a hole into my running shorts so I now put the business end of the physical key into a plastic sleeve.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I think that's the crux of the problem. Kinda dumb, considering that the Apple Watch is already secured by a PIN and if removed from the wrist it is locked. As for these ideas:

> What would happen if you set the iPhone so it never locks?
Seems like a fragile solution. Maybe the battery runs out while you're out running, maybe you press the lock button unintentionally while setting it down, etc.

> If you have an OnStar plan you should be able to use the Apple Watch to contact OnStar by phone, give the OnStar representative your PIN and the representative can unlock the Volt.

Very workable, but probably not worth the extra effort; carrying the physical key is less burdensome then calling / explaining yourself to OnStar reps. I have found that the key slices a hole into my running shorts so I now put the business end of the physical key into a plastic sleeve.
Yea, I still think the most elegant and simple solution would be for GM to offer a FOB that you could wear that also had some smartwatch features. It would not require the presence of a phone....it would be designed to work specifically with your car.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Yea, I still think the most elegant and simple solution would be for GM to offer a FOB that you could wear that also had some smartwatch features. It would not require the presence of a phone....it would be designed to work specifically with your car.
I originally envisioned using the Apple Watch and MyChevrolet App as an option for locking the Volt while surfing, not running. Is it that big a deal to carry the key fob when you run?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I knew how to set up a pole on this forum I would. The question would be:
Would you be willing to pay extra for an optional Chevy Volt wearable FOB/Smartwatch designed specifically for your car? (no smartphone required) A fully functional replacement for the stock FOB that comes with your Volt.

·
Registered
51 Posts
By "dead phone" icon, you must be describing the red “x”, which means your watch isn’t connected by bluetooth to your iPhone. Assuming your phone has a charge and its bluetooth is on, perhaps you should wait a minute or two for your watch and phone to connect (via bluetooth). Without that connection, as you’ve seen, you can’t unlock your volt. It shouldn’t matter if you have an X, or SE, or any other compatible iPhone. This works for me, but I haven’t left my phone in my Volt for 2 hours, but the time shouldn’t matter, as long as the phone has power and Bluetooth.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I originally envisioned using the Apple Watch and MyChevrolet App as an option for locking the Volt while surfing, not running. Is it that big a deal to carry the key fob when you run?
Well certainly you've got the bigger issue, I readily concede that. But when you're running for 2-3 hours, it's just nice to be as unencumbered as possible. Seems less like a Nike ad when I have to hold a fob or shove it into my shorts!

By "dead phone" icon, you must be describing the red “x”, which means your watch isn’t connected by bluetooth to your iPhone. Assuming your phone has a charge and its bluetooth is on, perhaps you should wait a minute or two for your watch and phone to connect (via bluetooth).
Great info, I had no idea what the X meant. I will try waiting longer for re-association after my next long run and report back!

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
If your Apple Watch MyChevrolet App does not pair with the iPhone you will see an icon of the phone with an X in red. Try force closing, reopening the watch app (with the MyChevrolet App open, press and hold the Power button until the screen with the Power Off, Medical ID, Emergency SOS screen appears. Then immediately release the Power Button. (Important! If you continue to hold the Power button after the shut down screen appears you will trigger an Emergency SOS and all of the fun that entails when you find yourself connected to a 911 emergency services operator.) After you release the Power button, wait a few seconds and press and hold the Crown button for a few seconds and the MyChevrolet App should close.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts