GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to GM-Volt would like anyone’s input to my issue
2013 with 55K check engine light came on and my monthly diagnostics report from Onstar said to see a dealer as I have a lithium battery issue. First visit said Charger software needed updated? Ok $140.00. Next day light on again took it back and did the software update again at no charge. Next day check engine light on again? Went back and left it. they came back and said my ac had lost its charge and that the problem is the condenser. I questioned why the check engine light would be on but was told that light will come on for almost any issue? They quoted me the repair but I said that I believe this should be covered under the Voltec 8 year 100,000 mile warranty as the ac is an integral part of the battery cooling, they didn’t seem to understand what I was talking about but said they would check with GM. Came back and said the condenser is not covered? Argued a bit with them but that is all they would tell me is no it is not covered. On warm nights the charger will shut off in the middle of charging now as I believe the battery is getting too warm. Have been using the 110 volt charger on the low setting and seems to be charging ok but it is not right. Contacted GM customer service and went on to one of the supervisors but they also told me no go on the condenser repair as it is only covered under the 3 year 36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, argued with the person about this and tried to explain the thermal management system to them but they did not have clue what I was talking about and said they would not be fixing my ac. Any idea where I can go now? I believe this should be covered.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I was under the impression that only the A/C compressor is covered under the Voltec warranty. It seems to me however that it would make sense from an application aspect that any portion of the A/C system should be covered since any leak/failure also impacts the ability of the battery to cool itself due to the "side effect" of losing refrigerant.

On the other side of the token, are you dealing with a service department that has a lot of experience with the Volt? I know my local dealership, although Volt certified, plain and simply sucks when it comes to servicing. Fortunately I've not had to take it in for any significant repairs aside from a failed heater coolant valve, which still isn't right (no heat in EV mode, even though K10 is working). They're also the only service department in town so I'm limited in what I am willing to put up with without driving 2 hours. If you have another dealership that you can use, perhaps try them, but I'm inclined to believe you may receive the same "not covered" explanation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts