GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes they are both PHEV. And I am torn. Opinions ?

Pros for the Volt: 53 miles EV range (27 on the Sonata). And I like the hatchback style and the split folding rear seats - convenient for my dog!

Pros for the Sonata: it's so much roomier on the inside. And the interior feels and looks much nicer.

Price is close. TrueCar says 35k for the volt and 33k for the Sonata in Northern California. But 9k in rebates for volt and 7k for Sonata. So it's almost the same for price.

Opinions ? Has anybody else cross-shopped these cars ?

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I doubt anyone has cross shopped because they are so different. The difference in electric range and electric performance is so great.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
You will have to drive both. Make sure you include uphill onramps with 2 people (or better).

Unlike most PHEV's the Volt is primarily an EV. It's power comes from the electric motor. Most PHEVs have small, weak electric motors, so they have laggy response until the gas engine kicks in to help give it power. The Volt has instant max power with no lag at all times.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Yes they are both PHEV. And I am torn. Opinions ?

Pros for the Volt: 53 miles EV range (27 on the Sonata). And I like the hatchback style and the split folding rear seats - convenient for my dog!

Pros for the Sonata: it's so much roomier on the inside. And the interior feels and looks much nicer.

Price is close. TrueCar says 35k for the volt and 33k for the Sonata in Northern California. But 9k in rebates for volt and 7k for Sonata. So it's almost the same for price.

Opinions ? Has anybody else cross-shopped these cars ?
I have cross shopped. You are pretty much on par with the differences. The Hyundai is a very nice, plush car and offers amenities the Volt simply does not, particularly like power seats with memory and a sunroof along with a garage door opener among others. The Hyundai is MUCH larger inside and has air vents in the back (the Volt now has them in the floor, but that is simply not the same). Depending on distance you need to travel, the Hyundai may work out extremely well. The Volt destroys the Hyundai in EV acceleration and distance; however, the Hyundai is a good compromise for a person that needs more family room. I live in Kentucky, so new Volts are rare and Hyundai plug ins are even rarer. I have yet to drive either one but I do currently own a 2012 Volt.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I wish to add that the Chevy Volt is proven technology, having the second generation Volt and siblings (Chevy Malibu, Cadillac CT6 PHEV, and Buick LaCrosse Hybrid) being sold, too. The Hyundai Sonata Hybrid is brand new and can have "infant symptoms" for unproven technology and little real-life experience. So don't let price or confort be the final decision.

Personally I will buy the Chevy Volt instead of the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I wish to add that the Chevy Volt is proven technology, having the second generation Volt and siblings (Chevy Malibu, Cadillac CT6 PHEV, and Buick LaCrosse Hybrid) being sold, too. The Hyundai Sonata Hybrid is brand new and can have "infant symptoms" for unproven technology and little real-life experience. So don't let price or confort be the final decision.

Personally I will buy the Chevy Volt.
No you won't.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The Sonata is another example of how all other PHEV's are different from the Volt.

The Sonata is one more PHEV that will not run exclusively on electric. The gasoline engine will assist under acceleration.

The Volt continues to be the only vehicle that runs exclusively on electric at all speeds until the battery is depleted. It is the only vehicle in this class that will let the typical driver do his daily commute without using a single drop of gas, or emitting a single gram of CO2.

This is why GM branded the Volt an EREV, and why there truly is no comparison between a Volt and all PHEV's.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I think the important thing for the OP to consider carefully is the intended use.
If it's going to be something like your primary "commuter car" and if the commute is within the Volt's range, and even better if you get free charging at work... then it's a no-brainer for the Volt.

If the OP is going to be making long trips and using a lot of ICE/REX time then the calculations are not quite so clear and the creature comforts may come more into play.

It seems like Hyundai has a habit of starting new projects a little late, and then going like gangbusters on it. I'm not sure I'd buy a first year PEHV from them, but I'd probably look seriously at a second or third year if for no other reason than to see what they've cooked up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The sonata 2017 is second year (2016 was first year, I see 2017 now).

Replacing my 2013 Leaf (lease is up end-Nov). My commute is ~20 miles. And I have charging at work. With my Leaf (and with the Volt) I can get by with ONLY charging at work on weekdays (I only charge at home on weekends). With the Hyundai, I will have to charge at both work and home everyday.

20 miles takes ~50 minutes here (each way) - so a "plush interior" adds value!

Starting serious shopping now. I guess one step will be to see if Nissan will give me a huge discount to buy out my lease. Then I will test drive Volt, Sonata, and maybe I3. Will come back here in a month and tell you what I decided...

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The sonata 2017 is second year (2016 was first year, I see 2017 now).

Replacing my 2013 Leaf (lease is up end-Nov). My commute is ~20 miles. And I have charging at work. With my Leaf (and with the Volt) I can get by with ONLY charging at work on weekdays (I only charge at home on weekends). With the Hyundai, I will have to charge at both work and home everyday.

20 miles takes ~50 minutes here (each way) - so a "plush interior" adds value!

Starting serious shopping now. I guess one step will be to see if Nissan will give me a huge discount to buy out my lease. Then I will test drive Volt, Sonata, and maybe I3. Will come back here in a month and tell you what I decided...
Would love to hear your thoughts after driving each. Be sure to post back. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked at the Fords a couple of weeks ago. Very disappointed with the trunk design on both. Unusable.

The sonata trunk is way better designed. Twice as much usable space as the Fusion. And the c-max trunk is useless - Volt is way better

·
Registered
224 Posts
I looked at the Fords a couple of weeks ago. Very disappointed with the trunk design on both. Unusable.
I initially thought the same thing but the CMax has worked fine for me for years including bring home a 60 inch TV and weekly grocery shopping for a family of four+dogs/cats. BTW, CMax Energi and Volt hatches are both EPA rated at 19 cuft; just packaged differently. My dog, a tall greyhound, wouldn't fit in either hatch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts