GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After two years in a Plug-in Prius, I got tired of compulsively managing its 11 miles of EV range and bought a new 2014 Volt.

Naturally, I've spend the following two weeks compulsively comparing the vehicles 1. My conclusions:

• The Plug-in Prius is a far better vehicle.
  • The Volt is a far better electric vehicle.
  • The Volt is a neater toy.
My detailed comparison table is in this link. I'll update it as people point out my errors (or at least the ones I agree are errors :) ).

Be gentle. ;)

Update a year later: Having driven the Volt for a year now, I can't believe I ever thought the Prius was better. It is roomier, has better fit and finish, and better visibility front and side. Other than that, the Volt has it beat every way. We still own both cars and I hate it when I have to drive the Prius.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The pip isn't for everyone and neither is the Volt. But for me, i'll never go pip (to much work to be pure EV). Glad to have you and your opinions on board. Enjoy 40 miles of care-free EV.

Toolworker can you help me out in one area please? I have never seen a comparison of Volt and PIP handling, ride comfort or just general enjoyment of driving with the PIP even close to the Volt much less winning. Can you provide a Edmunds, Consumer Reports or like article or review with that information? I really don't care because it is only what my opinion is that matters to me, but, again, like I said, I've never seen one.

Sorry, one more thing Toolworker...I asked my kids (16 and 19 -- 19 is home from college) if they prefer the old Prius or any car back seats to the Volt. They like the 2 individual seats configuration. It's a lot better ride and comfortable when cornering and stuff, they prefer it. I wonder if it is a hold over from the younger days of "my side, your side." :)

Dang it, they just keep on coming to me. OnStar. Can you when driving work the navigation? Can your passenger? I know the answer in my Prius was "No." But I can press a button and a very good OnStar representative will ask to help me. I can say, where's is the closet McDonalds, or is there a Chevy dealership OPEN nearby (they will check this kind of stuff), or can you send to my car the directions to Lucy and Ricky Dance Studio in Somewhere, USA. They look it up and send to my car the directions. I do love it and I really needed it once and it was fantastic.

Here is another OnStar If you have the bad luck of someone stealing your Volt OnStar will notify the Police, find the car, tell the police where it is and when they follow the thieves OnStar will power the car down safely and lock the doors.

American made, by an American company supporting American workers -- Can't put points to that, "priceless."

Face it. The Volt is a lot better looking...the Prius is a substitute for birth-control.

Volt Advisor. Many issues can be resolved easily with your dealership. When in doubt about something, you can depend on a knowledgable "Volt Advisor" to be an ombudsman on your behalf.

Oh snap, i forgot.... I like the Volt more. :)

I like this post, it is reminding me of how good a decision the Volt is. :)

·
4,887 Posts
To unlock all the doors with the Volt's keyless entry, I usually just press a button on any of the passenger doors. On those, one button press unlocks all doors.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If PiP only charges at 12A on 120V, that would be a negative from my perspective. On some circuits it 8A is good to avoid tripping breakers.

Default to 8A in the Volt is a big negative if you charge on 120V every day. In my opinion, it's not a bad thing if 120V is only done when traveling.

·
Registered
14,036 Posts
For me, the 11 miles of range for the Plug-in Prius is the killer. My weekday commute is 50 miles round trip. Of plug-in hybrids, the Volt is still the king of EV range. If I could afford a Tesla, I'd go get one, but the price is just a little more than I really want to spend on one car.

I have yet to pay more than $23K on any vehicle and I hope to continue this streak as long as possible.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
To unlock all the doors with the Volt's keyless entry, I usually just press a button on any of the passenger doors. On those, one button press unlocks all doors.
I believe this requires a "passive locking" configuration selection but it's easy enough to set.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I keep seeing 11 miles, if you are careful and slow, but I found this recently: Official EPA figures state an 11-mile "blended" electric range (mostly electric, but some combustion power) and six miles all-electric.

And as for your 'Handling' what metric did you use?
I came from a '10 Prius that I added the TRD rear anti-sway bar and 17" wheels and sticky summer tires.
I claim there is no comparison.
The Volt is much better handling and more comfortable. I'm not sure how those two can work together.
Of course I'm running my tires at a higher than stock pressure.
A simple phone app could measure lateral G's. But anyone could see and feel the listing at sea feel of a Prius being pushed.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
The EPA rated all electric rated range of the PIP is 6 miles, not 11. You have to look closely at the sticker. The 11 mile rating involves using gas. Common error people make. Surprising a PIP owner wouldn't know that.

This video clearly shows the sticker and explains it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cetRkwUg7Q8

MrEnergyCzar

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
The EPA rated all electric rated range of the PIP is 6 miles, not 11. You have to look closely at the sticker. The 11 mile rating involves using gas. Common error people make. Surprising a PIP owner wouldn't know that.

This video clearly shows the sticker and explains it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cetRkwUg7Q8

MrEnergyCzar
It actually is not very accurate. The only reason the PiP got 6 miles is that was the point in the test where a 62mph speed was hit which turns on the ICE.
A persons AEV range could be one half mile or it could be 11 miles, all depends upon the driving and road conditions.

While I certainly preferred the Volt's handling to the Prius, the more room available in the Prius does make it more practice if you need more space for cargo or passengers.
However, that is highly dependent upon the individual and doesn't really make one car categorically better or worse than the other.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Basic Onstar is $199 per year after the first 3 years are free.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I'm also very surprised at your rating of the handling.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Basic Onstar is $199 per year after the first 3 years are free.
I did not buy my car with Navigation so in the long run I'll save money on the price of replacement map DVDs. Plus OnStar is up-to-date with the most recent map changes. So, I plan to buy OnStar and the Navigation package too. I wish I had it on more cars.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I appreciate your candid review, however I disagree with several of your assessments about the Volt, and in general the items you have chosen to assess unweighted numeric value to.

I find the front seats as comfortable as the Prius, however the Prius deserves a couple of points for adjustable lumbar support.

I find the Volt storage to be more than adequate, the size of the glovebox to be fine and the fact that it opens downward to be irrelevant. The amount door storage is copious (with two umbrella holders!) and goes unmentioned.

I find the dash height of the Volt to be no different than the Prius, with the design of the Prius giving the illusion of space vs the design of the Volt giving the illusion of cockpit. I find headlights on my Volt to be as good as the Prius. You might want to have your Volt's headlight alignment checked.

I strongly disagree with your assessment around handling. The Volt has better steering weight, more road feel, is quicker to respond, and will outperform the Prius all day long. The Prius has a softer, less controlled ride.

Your opinion around the shifter represents a preference. I find the Prius' shifter inconvenient and confusing to use. I find the comparison of 'Traditional' vs 'Convenient' unbalanced. Your statement around having to shift to park to turn off is incorrect.

Your numerical assessment against the Volt for its 120V charging is unfair. You're comparing apples to oranges when you don't factor in capacity along with charge times.

I find nothing about the Volt's remote entry unintuitive. You push the button on the door you want to unlock once, and open it. Push the button twice and all doors unlock. The hatch opens when you push the pad.

I would be interested to see if your opinions change after becoming more acclimated to the Volt.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the interest.

11 miles is what I've been getting for two years. Who's the EPA? :)

And as for your 'Handling' what metric did you use?
(and all the other comments disagreeing with my handling score - and remember I only thought they were 1 point out of 10 different)

Entirely subjective. But given the feedback, I checked Consumer Reports, which gave the PiP a 71 road test score. The Volt got a 68 in 2011.

However the Volt is rated above average in both routine and emergency handling while the PiP is average. I will change the assessment.

You can turn off the Volt without shifting to park.
By golly, you can. It displays a message "Shift to Park" and as far as I can tell, leaves the car in neutral. Am I mistaken here? This would not be a good thing unless parked on an absolutely flat surface.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Toolworker can you help me out in one area please? I have never seen a comparison of Volt and PIP handling, ride comfort or just general enjoyment of driving with the PIP even close to the Volt much less winning. Can you provide a Edmunds, Consumer Reports or like article or review with that information?
I checked Consumer Reports, which pretty much agrees with everyone else although not as enthusiastically, and I changed the assessment.

Dang it, they just keep on coming to me. OnStar. Can you when driving work the navigation? Can your passenger? I know the answer in my Prius was "No."
That's part of why Volt gets a +8 under Personal Connectivity.

American made, by an American company supporting American workers -- Can't put points to that, "priceless."
Don't know if you're still talking to me after my other post, but you're absolutely right. I'll add that at the bottom. Can't assign a point value because it's so subjective, but it was a big plus for me.

Face it. The Volt is a lot better looking...the Prius is a substitute for birth-control.
Again, highly subjective. That might be the take in Virginia, but here in the S. F. Bay Area it's a status symbol. That's why I left the point score at 0.

Oh snap, i forgot.... I like the Volt
Me too! Glad we agree on something. :)

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
...By golly, you can. It displays a message "Shift to Park" and as far as I can tell, leaves the car in neutral. Am I mistaken here? This would not be a good thing unless parked on an absolutely flat surface.
Ah! So you want the Volt to put itself into Park when you turn it off.

Should have said that!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I like this post, it is reminding me of how good a decision the Volt is. :)

Toolworker, you can leave everything as is, don't change it on my account. I figured you just wanted to start a lively debate so I took the bait is all. After all you did UPGRADE to the Volt from a Prius so I think it is safe to assume you would agree with a lot of my comments.

1 - 20 of 227 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.