GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a member of this site since the Volt was just a concept and I've waited through the 1st generation and am now considering the purchase of a new 2017 Volt. The problem is, what I really want is the Bolt. I would really like to cut the oil cord completely. For those of you that already own the gen 2, why did you jump into the Volt vs. waiting for the Bolt?

Please don't tell me "I just needed a new car"!

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have been a member of this site since the Volt was just a concept and I've waited through the 1st generation and am now considering the purchase of a new 2017 Volt. The problem is, what I really want is the Bolt. I would really like to cut the oil cord completely. For those of you that already own the gen 2, why did you jump into the Volt vs. waiting for the Bolt?

Thanks for your input!
It all depends on how many cars you own. If you have a single car, a full electric still carries serious range limitation or constraints. The Volt lets you be all electric 90% of the time, yet, never be limited on how far you can go or have to worry about chargers along the way.

But if you have more than one car, then a full electric makes perfect sense for the second car.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Two reasons: Infrastructure and Infrastructure.

Volt has the existing gas infrastructure available for long trips.

Bolt needs a fast charging infrastructure to do long trips.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Even infrastructure has limitations. Fast charging is still much slower than gassing up. I don't know that I will ever feel comfortable with an EV as my only vehicle.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
The Volts we have were originally multi-driver cars. Having the safety blanket of a gas generator made it the superior choice. I can look at either car using my cellphone and tell if they have gasoline in the them. They are great cars for my kids.

But I'm back to using ICE vehicles when a Volt is not available for me.

The Bolt interests me as I have other ICE vehicles to use. My wife refuses to drive a BEV as her primary. I want to exchange one of the Vettes for a Model S, but wifey isn't good with that.

Note: Something about Model S's that isn't advertised a bunch. The insurance is brutal. Twice that of some other cars in the $100k area. The service centers are backlogged, and spares are an issue.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
When I take vacation I usually drive about 500 miles before stopping for the night. A BEV can't do that. Plus when I reach my destination the next day after another 200 miles, I still have a nearly full charge.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
To OP: It all depends on where you live and what your driving habits are. If you are in California or Texas and don't regularly take long trips outside those states, the Bolt is a very good option. I am planning to get the Bolt, and I regularly take 1,000 plus mile road trips. Will I be able to drive across the United States in my Bolt? Sure, but not in a timely manner. However, if that is my intent, I'm going to be flying anyway.

In the greater scheme of things, stopping twice for 30 to 45 minutes each over the course of a 500 mile trip is not that different than stopping for 15 minutes. And to me, that sacrifice is well worth completely divesting myself from fossil fuels.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wanted to drive electric and didn't want to wait for an unknown period. Bolt looks like it will cost more. So far, in 800 miles I've used 1.6 gals of gas, so that's pretty clean driving. Waiting on new technology is a never ending wait.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Like you I have been on the site since the concept car was shown. I wanted a Gen 2 but when I was moving back to the states in Dec. it was not available in my state (FL). So I either had to do something temporary for 3-4 months or buy a used Gen 1. I went that route (found a fully loaded 2013 with 3,700 miles) and absolutely love the car. I thought I might trade it in on a Gen 2 but now my thoughts are to hold onto it (paid cash) and use it as a long distance car and probably get a Bolt when they are available. Thought about the Model 3 but I know if I get the Bolt I will get the full tax credit and I trust GM to build a solid battery pack that will last longer than the car.

Unless you only do local driving a 200 mile range car is not really a long distance car for that you need to be in the 250 - 300 range. A 200 EPA rating will probably equate to 150 or so at highway speeds with A/C or heat running. I think a lot of model 3 owners will not be happy when they discover that. Heck on the Gen 1 volt in city driving and no A/C and 70F I can get between 47-50 miles range get on the highway go 65-70 and run the A/C you are looking at low 30's. To me it all comes down to if you can only have one car go with the Volt!

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
For those of you that already own the gen 2, why did you jump into the Volt vs. waiting for the Bolt?
I bought my Volt in 2011, so Gen 2 or Bolt were not even an option. That said, I'd do it again. The Volt is my primary car. It can go anywhere, any time, no need for charging stations, super or otherwise. The Volt is a no-compromise car for those that drive long trips in addition to normal commutes.

I plan to add the Bolt as our second car as it will be a great complement to the Volt. It's CUV form-factor will provide more hauling space than a sedan, while its 200+ mile range will be plenty for driving around the greater Chicago metro area, even in winter.

So my answer is, I'll have one of each, please! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a volt because I wanted good electric range for around-town with occasional anxiety-free road-trips. I've almost reached 4k miles and have yet to refill my dealer-supplied tank of gas. The Volt is the best option currently available that offers full electric operation for gas-less local driving, plus the flexibility to live the american road-tripping dream.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have been a member of this site since the Volt was just a concept and I've waited through the 1st generation and am now considering the purchase of a new 2017 Volt. The problem is, what I really want is the Bolt. I would really like to cut the oil cord completely.
I'm right there with you. In theory the Volt would ideal for me since I'm single and would have a hard time justifying multiple cars. But I waited for the Gen 2 and when I went for a test drive I was more disappointed than I expected to be with the form factor - bad rear seat, terrible rear visibility, long cumbersome hatch and no spare tire stowage.

So now I'm waiting for the Bolt, which looks like it will be a lot closer to the hatchback style I much prefer. The 300km range will be enough for all but multi-day trips. For those I'll hang on to my Prius C until I decide whether or not I'm willing to rent a car for those longer trips or whether some real-world experience with public charging is favourable enough.

·
Registered
13,560 Posts

Thanks for your input!
I once new an engineer who was much like you, but with computers. He had a really old pentium3 and was always waiting for the next generation claiming that he would buy that next one that a hot new CPU. But when that CPU was finally released, he'd look at the next one in the pipeline and yearn for that one. Meanwhile his gamer friends would pwn him at LAN parties as his ancient CPU I could never keep up.

That said, the longer you hold out, the more money you have in the bank and the more bang for the buck you will get. I feel sorry for the poor souls who always pay nearly full price for the latest new toy, only to repeat every few years.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It does, of course, depend on your usage patterns and other values.
For my wife and I, we rarely drive more than 40 miles a day around town so our 2014 Volt gets most of the usage most days. But two or 3 days a week we need two cars so then she drives her ICE for 10 or 15 miles.
3 or 4 times a month we take 250 mile trips to locations N or S from us, usually using the Volt for its better mileage unless we are carrying others or need more capacity for carrying stuff. With the 14 our overall MPG is 72 or so.

When the Gen 2 came out, improved in most ways including ACC and other safety features, it was an easy decision to get rid of the 14 after only one year (bought it in 15) and get the 17. Driving the 17 really sold both of us on it. This was pretty radical for me as I've usually kept cars and trucks for at least 10 years with the longest being 25 years, but I love the Volt and the 17 really improves on the formula in a lot of ways that are important to us. And my wife likes the styling a lot better.

We never considered the Bolt for reasons of style and infrastructure. We don't need the 200 miles for our local trips and it isn't enough for our longer trips. On the other hand, there are Tesla superchargers roughly half way along each of the longer routes. So we decided to keep the ICE and loan Elon Musk $1K in the hopes of replacing the ICE with the TM3. But there may well be other good choices by the time the 3 is available. The Bolt doesn't have the style my wife wants for her ride and it doesn't have the range or infrastructure for our longer trips.

Unless you just do local driving, I'd think long and hard before getting a Bolt at this point. And if most of your driving is less than 50 miles a day, you have essentially cut the cord to oil with a volt.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
363 days a year, the Bolt would work for me. 2 days a year, I'd need the added range of a Volt. I like both cars and will be adding another Bolt or Volt soon. I own 2 cars right now and am giving my Volt to my daughter when she starts college - no gas bill for daddy that way.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
bad rear seat, terrible rear visibility, long cumbersome hatch and no spare tire stowage.
All valid critiques, unfortunately. Although I don't think Bolt is getting a spare standard either.

Re: rear visibility, I'm hoping GM makes the Bolt's rear-camera-displaying rear view mirror available on 2018 Volts. That won't totally negate the problem, since I'm pretty sure it would be an extra-cost option or up-level trim... And it remains to be seen just how effective the rear camera mirror contraption is in real life... But if it works well it could be a big benefit to the Volt's visibility issues.

·
Registered
968 Posts
In theory the Volt would ideal for me since I'm single and would have a hard time justifying multiple cars. But I waited for the Gen 2 and when I went for a test drive I was more disappointed than I expected to be with the form factor - bad rear seat, terrible rear visibility, long cumbersome hatch and no spare tire stowage.
As stated, the rear seat comfort for adults or adult sized kids has been shown to be tough on these passengers for longer trips (2+ hours). The rear visiability is tough unless you have Drivers Safety Packages then it is ok.

I bought my G2 Volt as a commuter to help me with my 60 mile roundtrip commute and to help eliminate my $200 gasoline bill that I was racking up when gas was near $4/gallon. The Volt is also my family of four "go-to" car for local trips on the weekends. It's a fun, peppy car and I enjoy it everyday. But for long trips, we use our aging SUV's.

In the next year or two, we will need a new vehicle for my wife and we may consider a Bolt but it depends on the fast charging infrastructure at the time of purchase. My kids won't be out of the house for another 5 years (Crossing my fingers), so we'll need a car that can carry all four of us comfortably for longer trips. Luckily, we have some time to evaluate our options when that time comes.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'll be asking myself the same question in another year or two. Bolt or Volt.
I'm hoping I'll have a 3rd option by then, Volt-based CUV. Would love to replace my wife's Mazda CX-5 with a PHEV CUV and that would allow me to own a BEV as "my" primary car.

In fact, I really think I could get by with 100 miles of range...so I might just suck up my pride and try to find a used Spark EV if they ever trickle into the mid-West as used cars. If a Spark doesn't make sense, I'll probably go with a Bolt as my primary and hope GM does something about a PHEV CUV in the near future.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I have a 2017 Volt. Sold my 2013 Volt for it.

My wife has a 2013 Sonic Hatch. We are seriously considering a Bolt EV as a replacement for this car.

With Ontario adding 213 DC fast charging stations in the next year the Bolt EV should work for 99% of our driving and will likely become our primary vehicle. However I like having the Volt as our second car for those situations were a BEV is too inconvenient or not possible for use.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The Volt fit our daily driving and giving the extra range... We are even having reconsideration over whether or not to pick up a Bolt in a couple years when we (hopefully) hand off/sell the Volt to our daughter. While the 200 mi is nice... we would probably be just as happy with 125 ish miles. Since the longer trip location we do take will often take us off any reasonable charging network... so why pay to haul the bigger battery around daily and not really be able to use the larger capacity.. where as the EREV can literally take me anywhere the few times I need to.

So looking for bang for the buck... next purchase for the wife might be a 50-60Kw EV vehicle, but more likely will be a 30-40ish. and the next after that for myself... perhaps leap to 100kW when they come around (Tesla/VW... ) yeah I'm actually watching to see how the VW Budd-e develops :)

1 - 20 of 86 Posts