GM Volt Forum banner

Volt vs 2016 ELR

7K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Loboc 
#1 ·
This has probably been asked before

But after some reading online it seems that the 2016 ELR got a significant boost and a sports mode with proper dual motor operation for quick 0-60mph times

I donk know if there's any mechanical differences, we don't get caddies here in Australia

But gee I'd love it if it was available as a software tune etc...

I'd settle for a gen 2 Volt

But never going to happen here either :(

#2 ·
I'm sad the GM abandoned the ELR after obviously overpricing the 2014 model then significantly limiting the 2016 production numbers. I was ready to pay $50-55k in 2013 for and ELR, and when the $75k MSRP was announced, I had a new volt in my driveway about a week later. But I should have known that steep discounts would be coming, just as they did for the volt. I've heard of some folks on this forum able to get a new one for just under $40k with GM, dealer. state, and fed incentives.

It's not just the two electric motors, but I think to boost the 0-60 times they put the two electric motors and gas engine into service to provide a quick burst of power. But I agree, we're smoking something if we believe a software patch is coming to give all volt owners this performance. Maybe someday there will be an aftermarket tune, but we have yet to see it, and I'm not holding my breath. My only hope is that someone tboned my volt and I'm in the market for a new car again.

#3 ·
I had a 2011 (first week of production) and a 2014 Volt, and loved them. But I'm significantly more in love with my 2016 ELR. Performance is a big part of that equation. I'm not sure if Cadillac had to boost any of the hardware to support it, but in sport mode the '16 ELR peaks at 373 lb-ft of torque, compared to the original Volt's 273 and new Volt's 294. The biggest trick there is it uses the engine to make even more power than can be drawn from the battery alone, to yield a 0-60 time of 6.4 seconds. I made a video of my IP while making a couple of 0-60 runs, holding my cell phone (as such, quality isn't the best): https://youtu.be/WvnKVBdSWcA

But even without sport mode, using only electricity, it does 0-60 in 7 seconds. Top speed is 130 in sport mode and 106 without. More info at http://tinyurl.com/zgyornx. The suspension is significantly different than on the Volt, and in most respects it feels like a completely different (better) car. The main downside to the ELR is the back seat is objectionable to most people, despite it being very luxuriously trimmed. Lack of headroom is the main problem.

I believe someday the ELR will be mildly collectible, especially the greatly improved 2016, of which less than 600 were made. The number with the performance package (like mine) was significantly less, making that even more potentially collectible.

#5 · (Edited)
Had I known a 2016 was coming out, I might have waited. However, there are not that many differences between an 'R' code 2014 and a 2016. I don't regret getting my ELR @ $43k with incentives! Been two years + of driving my show car!

It might be more than a tune. However, a tune couldn't hurt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.