GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my 7th new Volt today, a blue 2019 with leather. That's 7 x 7500. I am going to hate paying Federal Taxes again after 2019. The car is great , much as the previous ones have been. The new HVAC and entertainment controls are markedly better. The power seat is ok but really doesn't mean that much to me. Also new, the car makes a sort of soft Star Trek sound when you back up ( seems to be through the radio speakers). It's kind of cool but not sure why they added this. My 2018 had 10k trouble free miles on it. It's at Lee Chevrolet in Washington, NC if anyone is interested. I paid after the 7500 tax credit and my GM card money a grand total of $1000 to swap. That's cheap riding folks!
Sorry to think this will be last Volt! It is a great car!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Do you finance each time, lease, or buy out in cash? Is there any particular reason you went from an '18 (w/10k miles) to a '19 aside from the newer amenities?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My car is paid for, the old one and the new one. Just pay the difference when you swap. Just like horse trading in the Old West. I got a brand new horse , new tires, another year of full warranty. And i effectively paid $1000. Who wouldn't take a deal like that. Cost per month to ride was $83.33. It's hard to lease anything at a cost per month in that range. Financing would add interest charges to the cost per so it's best to dig yourself out of that hole. If you are carrying a 30k loan at 4% that would cost you 1200 or an extra 100 per month. You be the bank! Get your car paid for and pay cash when you swap.
As for the buy it and drive the wheels off crowd ....they still have a cost per year to ride. No such thing as a free lunch. Ex. Pay 30k . drive it 10 years, sell it for about 5k and then minus what you spent on tires batteries brakes oil changed ..maybe 3k.
Net cost 27k to ride 10 years..2700 per year.
Then walk to the dealership and start over.
Isn't my way better?????

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
My car is paid for, the old one and the new one. Just pay the difference when you swap. Just like horse trading in the Old West. I got a brand new horse , new tires, another year of full warranty. And i effectively paid $1000. Who wouldn't take a deal like that. Cost per month to ride was $83.33. It's hard to lease anything at a cost per month in that range. Financing would add interest charges to the cost per so it's best to dig yourself out of that hole. If you are carrying a 30k loan at 4% that would cost you 1200 or an extra 100 per month. You be the bank! Get your car paid for and pay cash when you swap.
As for the buy it and drive the wheels off crowd ....they still have a cost per year to ride. No such thing as a free lunch. Ex. Pay 30k . drive it 10 years, sell it for about 5k and then minus what you spent on tires batteries brakes oil changed ..maybe 3k.
Isn't my way better?????
It was — but the tax credit will now soon be gone.

Since I buy and hold my cars I never considered doing that, although it would’ve made sense retrospectively, I guess, while the tax credit lasted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
You can't go wrong with that deal. Now you will have to swap to another manufacturer and take the hit probably on the change over. Wonder if you can get a similar deal on other makes (ie. good trade ins.)

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
You can keep your streak alive by starting to buy from a company that still has credits. Like the Honda Clarity. When you eventually trade the Clarity in, let me know. I may be interested in a used one.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not sure which direction I will go next January,,,,,but I am unlikely to leave $7500 on the table. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Isn't my way better?????
If you get the first one for free....

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I resort that implication! LOL
I have yet to have a free one. I did pay off the first two after a couple of years. Daddy was the bank. My first new one that I had to finance was 1979. BUT in the 1980's I was able to get new cars and pay for them when I swapped. My Dad deserves the credit for showing me how to play the game. Here is the cliche and it really is true....It's not how much you make...It's how you spend it.
We all ride, we all spend

BUT back to the OP..... has anyone else noticed the sound when you are in reverse??
LOL

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And BTW....I just don't think I can stomach the Clarity next Jan.
It's so far beyond ugly that I call it "fugly"
I might try the Kona from Hyundai. I think it may work....
I have a year to figure it out!
I welcome any ideas.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sorry to think this will be last Volt! It is a great car!
We bought our 'last Volt' as well as our first Volt A '19 Premier with ACC. We tend to keep our cars for the long term. THAT's how to make them 'cheap' transportation.

I'm glad you're benefitting from the tax credits rather than leasing and letting GM hog them.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is a little disappointing that number 7 is my last Volt!
2019 The Current ride!
2020 ...who knows? But I want the $7500!!!!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
We had planned to flip our 2017 Volt for a '19, and take delivery sometime toward the end of the first quarter of the year. With the amazing Colorado $5000 credit, we have made money every time when trading up our '15 Volt for a '17, and our '17 Bolt for our '19. Unhappily, my dealer was advised by GM yesterday that there are no more Volt allotments and no new orders are being accepted. He also advised that the dealers who have Volts in the production system either have special orders or are reluctant to do dealer trades without getting a similar vehicle in return. Strangely, the GM web page that allows prospective customers to "build" their ideal car was still operational last night.

So I guess we'll have to wait and see what's available out there in March. I'm guessing that the price levels then will either be higher ("This is your last chance ever to get a new Volt, and the last month for the $7500 credit!") or lower ("Who would pay sticker price for an orphaned car that's no longer in production?"). Well see.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
We had planned to flip our 2017 Volt for a '19, and take delivery sometime toward the end of the first quarter of the year. With the amazing Colorado $5000 credit, we have made money every time when trading up our '15 Volt for a '17, and our '17 Bolt for our '19. Unhappily, my dealer was advised by GM yesterday that there are no more Volt allotments and no new orders are being accepted. He also advised that the dealers who have Volts in the production system either have special orders or are reluctant to do dealer trades without getting a similar vehicle in return. Strangely, the GM web page that allows prospective customers to "build" their ideal car was still operational last night.

So I guess we'll have to wait and see what's available out there in March. I'm guessing that the price levels then will either be higher ("This is your last chance ever to get a new Volt, and the last month for the $7500 credit!") or lower ("Who would pay sticker price for an orphaned car that's no longer in production?"). Well see.
Give Ed Bozarth up in Grand Junction a call. They may do a dealership to dealership swap with their Aurora or Lone Tree location, both of which still have Volts on the lot.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Give Ed Bozarth up in Grand Junction a call. They may do a dealership to dealership swap with their Aurora or Lone Tree location, both of which still have Volts on the lot.
That's my dealer!

·
Registered
468 Posts

Got the same dilemma: The 2017 Volt lease is up April 16th, 2019.
I had planned to give it back, buy a -19 and get the full tax credit just before April rolls around.
If the the supply is limited and the prices at sticker, I may not..
Question: If we keep the -17, will GM play ball with offers and counter offers below the residual value?
Wife’s Volt, might as well keep it with only 15,500 miles (today) if a good deal pops up. (Residual $21xxx)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Got the same dilemma: The 2017 Volt lease is up April 16th, 2019.
I had planned to give it back, buy a -19 and get the full tax credit just before April rolls around.
If the the supply is limited and the prices at sticker, I may not..
Question: If we keep the -17, will GM play ball with offers and counter offers below the residual value?
Wife’s Volt, might as well keep it with only 15,500 miles (today) if a good deal pops up. (Residual $21xxx)
Every 2019 I've found nationwide is listed for MSRP, and that's a nonstarter with us. In an earlier post somewhere here, I opined that the price of used and new 2019s would either be very high or very low. Looks like the first prediction is coming true, and if so, ot doesn't seem logical that GM would give you a skinny deal on a lease buyout!

I'm looking at a Honda HPEV Clarity for a possible Fall purchase. Due to a sparse charging infrastructure in my region at the moment, we really need a PHEV, and I've got an irrational dislike of the Toyota Pious (spelling intended) models. Pretty uncool for GM not to be forthcoming on the line shutdown and that they wouldn't be accepting orders after late November!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow! Went to look at Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine, Tx website. Just two days ago they had 9 new 2019 volts with several thousand off on them. Now all are listed at MSRP.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In NC they are still discounting from 3 to 5k off 2019's. I ordered my 19 last October so it would be on the ground Jan 1. It is going to be interesting to see what happens to Volt prices as I plan on swapping mine Jan 2020. BTW I did my taxes and I am even more committed to giving that $7500 to an EV manufacture next January instead of the Federal Government. I would prefer that it was GM but I am not going to leave that much money on the table. If I can't hold my nose and get the Clarity i make look at the new EVs from Hyundai.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts