GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Does the phone "beep"? If not, flip the connector end at the phone. There are so many fussy cables now, and the i6 is the fussiest version.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
#1 Make sure the latest iOS version has been installed
#2 Make sure a genuine Apple USB cable is being used. There is a bulletin for this sort of issue being traced to aftermarket, non-Apple USB cable.
HTH
WOT

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, the phone doesn't beep. There is no life in ports at all. I plugged in a zip drive and it didn't light up. Checked fuses, none were broke. Thanks for taking the time.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
No, the phone doesn't beep. There is no life in ports at all. I plugged in a zip drive and it didn't light up. Checked fuses, none were broke. Thanks for taking the time.
Did you start the car?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
car must be on to power the usb ports. and lighter plugs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Neither of the two usb ports in my new 2016 volt work. Plug in an iPhone 6. Nothing. Anybody else have this problem?
I had this problem with my 2016 Volt. Neither USB port would work. I took it back to the dealer. They changed out both USB ports. They both work fine now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have this problem. Worked fine for two weeks. Now totally dead for data and power. Tried phone and tablet same result. I am waiting for my dealer to get Android Auto update so I can kill 2 birds with one stone.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
you only get about 1/2 amp (500ma) so some items will not work for testing power out

smart phones are fine at 1/2 amp 5 volts IF you use the correct cable.

There are cables that will use a power port for power and a USB cable only for data

·
Registered
11 Posts
Neither USB port on my 2017 Premier work. Will not charge and will not recognize any USB stick. I can only USB charge by using an adapter in the 12 v. outlet. Car on or off = the same negative result.

In short, both USB outlets are dead. Car was built in February 2016.

As "Kserraserra" writes above, it should be a straightforward dealer fix. I'll try to schedule this fix with the Android Auto update.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Working on it!

My 2017 Premier (April manufacture date) was dropped off at the Chevy dealer to address this issue today - will post specifics of fix when I have them!

·
Registered
39 Posts
First time I plugged my phone into the USB ports of my new 2017 Volt, I found the same thing. The ports were both dead.

Strange thing was, when I pulled and then simply reinserted fuse #26, the ports were fine. That was a couple weeks ago and I've had no more problem from them. A flash drive is almost always installed in one. The other I use to connect my phone, for Android Auto.

The fuse panel is under the dash, near the steering wheel. The manual identifies which is fuse #26. I pulled the fuse using needlenose pliers, then just reinserted the fuse.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
The fuse panel is under the dash, near the steering wheel. The manual identifies which is fuse #26. I pulled the fuse using needlenose pliers, then just reinserted the fuse.
FYI, there is a fuse puller tool located in the fuse box under the hood.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Neither USB port on my 2017 Premier work. Will not charge and will not recognize any USB stick. I can only USB charge by using an adapter in the 12 v. outlet. Car on or off = the same negative result.

In short, both USB outlets are dead. Car was built in February 2016.

As "Kserraserra" writes above, it should be a straightforward dealer fix. I'll try to schedule this fix with the Android Auto update.
Keep us updated; it would be good if the service dept. can determine what was the cause of the failure. FWIW, my USB outlets perform just fine on my 2017 Premier, which was built in early April. So clearly, there may be some build issues, and I'm curious if these are occurring primarily on the earliest batch of vehicles...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fixed!

Dealer replaced the USB port under warranty - part number 13510854 (N-Recepticle). But if it happens again, I'll try MarkMessinger's fuse trick!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the tip! Same thing just happened with my 2017 yesterday, so I pulled and re-inserted fuse 26, and the ports are working normally again. Hopefully it won't happen again, but at least now I know what to do! I hope that GM comes up with a better, permanent fix soon.

First time I plugged my phone into the USB ports of my new 2017 Volt, I found the same thing. The ports were both dead.

Strange thing was, when I pulled and then simply reinserted fuse #26, the ports were fine. That was a couple weeks ago and I've had no more problem from them. A flash drive is almost always installed in one. The other I use to connect my phone, for Android Auto.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the tip! Same thing just happened with my 2017 yesterday, so I pulled and re-inserted fuse 26, and the ports are working normally again. Hopefully it won't happen again, but at least now I know what to do! I hope that GM comes up with a better, permanent fix soon.
After I that that pull-and-reinsert of fuse #26 once, I've never had to do it again.

Now the only complaint I have is about the system failing to reconnect the flash drive, when the car is re-started. Oftentimes, when I'm listing to music streaming off the USB stick, I find it doesn't reconnect nicely, after I turn the engine off. When I turn the engine back on, the infotainment system sometimes doesn't re-connect the USB stick. I have to pull the stick from the USB port and then reinsert it. The infotainment system always re-establishes the connection and always picks the music up right where it left off (when I shut the car off). However, I find the "shuffle" setting - which I almost always have "on" - is now turned off.

It all sounds like something a firmware fix could address.

Anyway, for as odd as that bit with the fuse was, I've not had to repeat the maneuver.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
After I that that pull-and-reinsert of fuse #26 once, I've never had to do it again.

Now the only complaint I have is about the system failing to reconnect the flash drive, when the car is re-started. Oftentimes, when I'm listing to music streaming off the USB stick, I find it doesn't reconnect nicely, after I turn the engine off. When I turn the engine back on, the infotainment system sometimes doesn't re-connect the USB stick. I have to pull the stick from the USB port and then reinsert it. The infotainment system always re-establishes the connection and always picks the music up right where it left off (when I shut the car off). However, I find the "shuffle" setting - which I almost always have "on" - is now turned off.

It all sounds like something a firmware fix could address.

Anyway, for as odd as that bit with the fuse was, I've not had to repeat the maneuver.
Just a thought. Are you using a name brand flash drive? I have found a couple of off brand drives that sometimes work, sometimes not. When they do work, sometimes a message will come up about the aux media has been unplugged even though it has not. My Sandisk drives work every time all the time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Whoops. A little less than four months since the first time I did the pull-and-reinsert of the fuse, I found I needed to do it again.

The USB stick was running fine, when I parked the car. Next morning, the ports were dead; no power was getting to them. Pull-and-reinsert and voila! the ports again are getting power. Little ghost in the machine kind of stuff. . .

Yeah, and the fact the sound system often turns off the shuffle play remains an unwelcome, although very minor, recurring behavior.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts