GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
For $2499 for a brand new (with a core return) one how is this a deal? Seems like a big gamble on $1100 to me.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
For $2499 for a brand new (with a core return) one how is this a deal? Seems like a big gamble on $1100 to me.
Agreed. But what if were used for something else? Would it become more attractive? I think it might be relatively safe to say that a new Volt battery is more valuable than $2,499. Still, I would think a buyer might want some sort of certification on its state and ability to charge/discharge. Do we know enough about the battery to somehow test it?

·
Registered
867 Posts
I don't know what one would do with this other than put in a Volt. There are electronic boards that I am sure control the batteries as well as the heating/cooling system.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Agreed. But what if were used for something else? Would it become more attractive? I think it might be relatively safe to say that a new Volt battery is more valuable than $2,499. Still, I would think a buyer might want some sort of certification on its state and ability to charge/discharge. Do we know enough about the battery to somehow test it?
Carry it to the GM Battery Center and have them test it.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts

$2200 from another random OEM online parts site. I'm sure with more searching another dealership w/online parts department could beat this as well!;)

Lets just hope by the time we need new Li-ions, the price has dropped by half and the capacity is greatly improved!:cool:

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

$2200 from another random OEM online parts site. I'm sure with more searching another dealership w/online parts department could beat this as well!;)

Lets just hope by the time we need new Li-ions, the price has dropped by half and the capacity is greatly improved!:cool:
Don't discount the fact that you have to trade your battery for that price. I think THAT is significant. I suppose if it was fully functional then GM would want it, but maybe I'm wrong. I was thinking that it might be used for a home solar system back-up power supply. Of course I know nothing about that, but there are certainly members here that can tell us.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
A brand new battery is down to $2500?!!!! Outstanding. I'm willing to double up if the car could hold such a battery. The Tesla you can drop the battery and exchange all in about 10 minutes. Wouldn't that be great for the Volt. Dreamin.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
A brand new battery is down to $2500?!!!! Outstanding. I'm willing to double up if the car could hold such a battery. The Tesla you can drop the battery and exchange all in about 10 minutes. Wouldn't that be great for the Volt. Dreamin.
Currently $2200 cheapest price I could quickly find from a GM dealership in Winston Salem, NC. This price may fluctuate depending on demand, ect. As pointed out this is w/o shipping which could be steep and the core return of the exchanged battery...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I think I can count the number of potential customers for this battery on one hand. Everyone else still has a warranty to provide a free battery if it fails.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I'm an EE and won't touch this thing, Lithium need special chargers and monitoring, like what would you do with it? there aren't many uses for a high voltage DC pack ...

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
IF there were a way to control, maintain and provide the TMS life support it needs, conceptually, this would be a nice way to store excess daytime PV solar production as a component in an off-grid power solution, or as a surge buffer in areas with dirty power.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
IF there were a way to control, maintain and provide the TMS life support it needs, conceptually, this would be a nice way to store excess daytime PV solar production as a component in an off-grid power solution, or as a surge buffer in areas with dirty power.
So, it sounds like its only value is to a Volt owner (or GM), unless you invested in more components, and probably costly components at that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts