GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I'm hope they double the range, that would be a game changer. It would push me from 55% electric to 80 or 90% electric.

·
Registered
13,660 Posts
If true, the Volt will join the 2019 Chevrolet Malibu and 2019 Chevrolet Colorado as another refreshed vehicle coming this year.
Wouldn't it be grand if they just put the Volt drivetrain into the Malibu and Colorado?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm sure the refresh will be a front and rear redo- hopefully something to make it more unique. Also the battery will get a ~3 mile bump due to battery chemistry revisions. And a couple of new colors. Much like was done for the Gen1. It would be nice if they added some of the ELR software tricks for a performance bump.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I'm hope they double the range, that would be a game changer. It would push me from 55% electric to 80 or 90% electric.
I wouldn't buy any Tesla or pure EV if they doubled the range. The Volt would make me hit the 99% EV miles without having to rent or borrow another car unlike the Tesla and Leaf owners.

·
Registered
657 Posts
If they add alot more range it is probably going to cost more. That might still be ok as long as they also add some features like power seats, moonroof, tow package, etc. It's a pretty good car as is.....but it could be a GREAT car with a few changes.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/01...h-chevrolet-volt-in-for-freshening-this-year/

Looks like the Volt is finally getting a refresh, let’s see what the future holds.
Makes sense. The mid cycle refresh was in the production plans from the start. The Gen II Volt is on a normal 6 year cycle. Likely a few styling tweaks inside and out. Possibly some powertrain and battery tweaks as well.

Personally I would like to see an even lower priced LS model as well to better compete with some of the new entries in the marketplace.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I wouldn't buy any Tesla or pure EV if they doubled the range. The Volt would make me hit the 99% EV miles without having to rent or borrow another car unlike the Tesla and Leaf owners.
I agree, I'd pick a 100 mile Volt over a Tesla given the current limitations of BEVs. A 100 miles of range makes it almost a true EV but it still can go anywhere without worrying about finding a fast charger. When BEVs exceed 400 miles of range I won't have any anxiety but I think that won't happen until 2025 for any reasonably priced car.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I'm already operating our 2017 Volt at 97.5% electric. I wouldn't gain much much from any range increase. I'd like to see more options and a significant price cut.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I would welcome the following upgrades/options, these should be relatively easy to engineer:

Power driver's seat with memory
7.2kW onboard charger
Improved audio system
Homelink
Self-sealing tires (as already provided on the Bolt)
Rear glass wiper
10 - 20% more usable battery capacity
Interior hatch release button
Lighted glovebox
Front parking camera

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/01...h-chevrolet-volt-in-for-freshening-this-year/

Looks like the Volt is finally getting a refresh, let’s see what the future holds.
Makes sense. The mid cycle refresh was in the production plans from the start. The Gen II Volt is on a normal 6 year cycle. Likely a few styling tweaks inside and out. Possibly some powertrain and battery tweaks as well.

Personally I would like to see an even lower priced LS model as well to better compete with some of the new entries in the marketplace.
Give us a Volt SS!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Here's hoping they FINALLY do at least 32A charging, or (gasp!) DCFC.
My guess is:

1) tweaked battery settings, slightly more range. Maybe not as conservative on the battery, but I don't expect a major refresh of the battery, it would be too expensive at this point.
2) possibly modified exterior styling but I doubt it
3) Additional colour options and maybe dropping existing colours that don't sell well
4) Perhaps some tweaks to HVAC system, seating (power seat option?), nothing major
5) Faster charging

·
Registered
37 Posts
I like adding more standard features and lowering the price, but a Volt SS sounds awesome.

Even better would be something more like the famed CrossVolt with AWD!

·
Registered
13,660 Posts
I like adding more standard features and lowering the price, but a Volt SS sounds awesome.

Even better would be something more like the famed CrossVolt with AWD!
I don’t want a Volt SS (volts with lowering springs, goosed up HP, and an SS sticker), but i’d kill for a Voltec SS (Chevy SS with a Voltec drivetrain). Better yet, give me the Australian Commodore wagon with a 6 speed manual tranny and the vette V8 engine... screw being green!!!!

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'm in!
Size and form factor are good

Needs to have:
Power Seat(s)
32A OBCM
RS/SS package; more all electric power, handling, tires, wheels

Nice to have (I would pay for these):
More AE range, 65-70 would be great
DCFC option, 25KW would be fine
Hybrid power sport mode, gen+battery like ELR '16
Tactile steering wheel controls like gen 1
360 deg parking view like Bolt
SuperCruise
More LED lamps (instead of the incandescent)
Fog lights

More Radical:
Dual motor AWD for performance (don't need it for winter traction in TX!)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Wishful thinking:
Better battery chemistry + deeper battery cycle providing ~70 miles of electric range.
DCFC charging.
32A level 2 charger.
If battery capacity increases - 50hp more powerful electric motor.
Sport mode - engine + 2 electric motors.

Most likely:
New color
Power seats.
Interior update - like bigger touch-screen, or HUD.
Some limited self driving capability.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree with EDK of Austin: more range (I really need 75-100 miles to avoid burning gas in shopping runs in rural east Texas). That would mean 90% of my driving would be electric instead of 55%. At least a 32-amp charge rate would really help. And a DC fast-charger option like the Bolt's -- when I go into Dallas (60 miles away), or Austin (250 miles away), or Houston (230 miles away), it would be great! This would help the Volt move from being a bit-player to much more of a mainstream "electrified" vehicle in the marketplace -- making people more relaxed and ready make the jump - capturing more of the mass market that needs to swell past the initial wave of customers. The Volt is super comfortable and nice for local and long-distance travel now -- with two people and "stuff" in the car. If we could get more people actually into the car behind the wheel to drive it, many more would be sold! The problem may be that GM is still losing money on each one and doesn't really want to expand the market for Volts. Check out this article on Autoblog today: https://www.autoblog.com/2018/01/09/gm-ev-profit-strategy/

1 - 20 of 42 Posts