GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The below bold underlined text about the Volt TMS only working for about 1 week was news to me and I'd guess to many. I've left my Volts longer than a week plugged in and thought the battery temps were being managed.

I would have started our unused 2011 Volt as an example while our kid was away for college weekly if I knew this. (Coincidental or not we have had to have one section of the battery replaced this year)

https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?325273-Away-for-3-weeks-no-longer-charging-250K-miles&p=4600625#post4600625

stephenm,

The Volt’s thermal management system will keep the battery cool while plugged in for about a week. After this point, it no longer runs up the electricity costs for essentially wasted energy. It is possible that the extended time in the heat caused the P0AA6 diagnostic code on your older battery. The P0AA6 code is not a part of the diagnostics for the coolant sensor. Your local dealer has a potentially cost-effective solution. As your vehicle is out of warranty coverage, we unfortunately cannot cover it for you. Ask your local Chevrolet dealer to quote you the cost for applying bulletin PIC5920G. This is an inspection and software remedy for your situation.

Philip J.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
It seems odd that with over 2.8 billion miles driven by Volt owners over that past 7 years this has never been communicated by GM.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 80k+ Miles
570 Posts
The manual states that for storage up to 4 weeks, to leave the car plugged in if temperatures will exceed 95F. This is for thermal management, so it wouldn't make sense for the TMS to stop after 7 days. For longer storage periods you need to discharge the battery to 2-3 bars, and disconnect or trickle the 12v in place.

This is only one data point, so I wouldn't jump to accept it fully as truth without some corroboration. It's not unheard of for low level employees to make a mistake now and then.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Agree with Off Oil, I’ll go with the manual over a social media employee post. I don’t believe they have technicians operating this GM Cust Svc account on this forum. IIRC, they are in the social media department.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
#PIC5920G - Vehicle Will Not Charge And Hybrid Loss Of Isolation With DTC P0AA6 And/Or P1FFF P1F0E P0DAA - (Jul 6, 2017)

see
http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=8089

says :eek:r a loss of high voltage isolation within the battery

( can this be caused by not having a cooling flush or just the float sensor/cable problem ? )

DTC P0AA6 signals a loss of isolation detected within the battery pack itself. This is fundamentally different from the P1AF0, P1AF2, or P1E22 loss of isolation DTCs for the larger high voltage system.

-----------
If a coolant leak is not observed, update the HPCM2 and BECM with the latest calibrations in TIS2Web. The revised calibrations are designed to improve the measurement accuracy of the internal loss of isolation DTC P0AA6. This is the more common repair for this DTC. The HPCM2 and the BECM work in conjunction to monitor and control the battery pack.

The BECM programming procedure is unique. It’s important to wait for service programming to fully complete with the checkered flag, as each of the four Battery Interface Control Modules (BICMs) are subsequently flashed once the status bar reaches 100%. Remain patient as this programming could take an additional ten minutes.

If DTC P1FFF does not clear after programming, attempt a secured high voltage code clear, as a function of the HPCM2.

The special labor operation listed in PIC5920G as well as normal programming updates for the HPCM2 and BECM are covered under the Voltec warranty period (8 years/100,000 miles, U.S., or 160,000 kilometers, Canada).

----------

this was listed in a research of Bulletin Title: #PIC5920G

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=198921

-----edit to add --------------
Today -sunday- the temp went to 110 F - I too just got the same errors after unplugging after a 30 min charge I stopped to run to the store. cooling tanks tanks full --

1 - 5 of 5 Posts