GM Volt Forum banner
181 - 185 of 185 Posts

·
Administrator
23,071 Posts
Agree, but there is another thread somewhere (might not even be this forum) that states that the TMS never runs when unplugged. I just wanted to confirm what is in this thread.
Yes, thanks for confirming. You will also find other (mistaken) claims posted here. The cabin heater heating the battery is another popular myth. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Makes sense, TMS does not run when unplugged.

What about when plugged, but not charging -

Does the peak/non-peak settings for delayed charging have an effect on the TMS warming in temps less than 25?

Does the car warm the batteries even if the batteries are not being charged?

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Makes sense, TMS does not run when unplugged.

What about when plugged, but not charging -

Does the peak/non-peak settings for delayed charging have an effect on the TMS warming in temps less than 25?

Does the car warm the batteries even if the batteries are not being charged?
It does make sense.

Yes, when plugged in, TMS will function depending on average cell temps

No, but the target temps during charging is different than when not charging

Yes, warming AND cooling whenever plugged in, depending on temps (this is why the owners manual recommends keeping it plugged in during extremes of temperature even IF it is fully charged)

This behavior is software controlled based on a number of parameters, so it's difficult to put our finger exactly on the temperature break points.
However some corroborating data has been collected and published out on the main page
http://gm-volt.com/2013/05/03/volt-battery-thermal-management-system-in-the-hot-arizona-sun/

However my advice is, as always...

JUST DRIVE AND SMILE! :D

WOT

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes, when plugged in, TMS will function depending on average cell temps

No, but the target temps during charging is different than when not charging

Yes, warming AND cooling whenever plugged in, depending on temps (this is why the owners manual recommends keeping it plugged in during extremes of temperature even IF it is fully charged)

This behavior is software controlled based on a number of parameters, so it's difficult to put our finger exactly on the temperature break points.
However some corroborating data has been collected and published out on the main page
http://gm-volt.com/2013/05/03/volt-battery-thermal-management-system-in-the-hot-arizona-sun/

However my advice is, as always...

JUST DRIVE AND SMILE! :D

WOT
Good to know. Even happier I bought and installed the LCS-20 at home.

Ill have to think further about my charge situation at work - theres 9 of us with EVs, but only 4 spots at the 240V stations, so we rotate at lunch.

I might just do 120V from an outlet all day instead of the fast charger during the cold months.

181 - 185 of 185 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.