GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are considering a 2018 Volt to replace her A4.

When I took a test drive, the car was close to fully charged (surprisingly). The sales guy went and got the car from the back and brought it out to the front where I got in. When he parked the car (and left the ignition on) the ICE was running. I asked him why and he said some mumbo jumbo about "maybe it hadn't been run for a while and it needed to do some maintenance to warm the fluids, etc."

What's the real reason? It was around 80F and it was a black car. Could it have been to do something to cool the batteries?

Shortly into the test drive, the ICE seemed to shut down, and the rest of the test drive was EV only.

--Jim--

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
The engine normally would not run in that circumstance, so it must have been something unusual. One of the most likely reasons would be the engine maintenance mode. If the engine has not turned on in about 6 weeks for other reasons, then the car will automatically run the engine while you are driving as a way of circulating the oil and coolant. It runs for several minutes to fully warm up, then shuts down. Sounds like that is most likely what it was. Just part of normal operation. There is a message on the screen about that, but it was probably cleared before you got into the car.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
In this case your sales guy was actually mostly right. If it wasn't run for a long time, the engine would need to run in maintenance mode, but would shut off in 5 minutes or so.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
There is usually a quick message on the screen advising that EMM or FMM is occurring. However, it's a quick notification and you wouldn't notice it if not looking for it, especially for the first time starting up a brand new car.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Seems like the sales rep. knew more about the Volt than most reps. The engine will also run when in electric and parked when you open the hood to inspect the engine as well.

Some reps. still probably think that the Volt is nothing more than a blended hybrid much like the regular Prius...

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
There is usually a quick message on the screen advising that EMM or FMM is occurring. However, it's a quick notification and you wouldn't notice it if not looking for it, especially for the first time starting up a brand new car.
And if the salesman had to bring the car around from the back-forty lot then the EMM message would be long gone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Could it of been the cooling system? I know when those fans run on mine it's quite loud like an engine.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
When I fist saw the Volt I wanted at the dealership, I got in and it started the EMM. Luckily, I knew what it was ahead of time.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
635 Posts
Did anyone open the hood while you were checking the car out? Engine comes on automatically ;-)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did anyone open the hood while you were checking the car out? Engine comes on automatically ;-)
Not at that point -- I opened the hood of the one they had in the showroom, not the test drive car. I wonder what the reasoning is to start the ICE when you open the hood?

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Not at that point -- I opened the hood of the one they had in the showroom, not the test drive car. I wonder what the reasoning is to start the ICE when you open the hood?
The ICE will run for maintenance diagnostics, I presume, when you raise the hood; only when you start or have already started the Volt.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
This may not be the reason for the hood open feature, but without it, it would be impossible to idle the engine for an emission inspection test.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
This may not be the reason for the hood open feature, but without it, it would be impossible to idle the engine for an emission inspection test.
In most cases, with modern vehicles, the emissions test no longer requires sampling the vehicle exhaust. The vehicle's recent historical emissions data is read from the vehicles OBD-2 port.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
In most cases, with modern vehicles, the emissions test no longer requires sampling the vehicle exhaust. The vehicle's recent historical emissions data is read from the vehicles OBD-2 port.
Enhanced emissions testing for pure ICE cars still monitor the tailpipe. Basic testing doesn't.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Enhanced emissions testing for pure ICE cars still monitor the tailpipe. Basic testing doesn't.
What determines whether the emissions test station uses enhanced testing or basic testing? When my 2011 Ford Fusion ICE vehicle was tested all that needed to be done was plug a cable into the OBD2 port.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
What determines whether the emissions test station uses enhanced testing or basic testing? When my 2011 Ford Fusion ICE vehicle was tested all that needed to be done was plug a cable into the OBD2 port.
Location. For instance Colorado has a statewide emissions program, but if you live on the Front Range (Colorado Springs to Ft Collins) you have to get an enhanced test that includes tailpipe measurements over a preprogrammed RPM run.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts