GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install a sunroof in my Volt. The car is leased so I do not know if this is a problem or not ? Also is there anything in the roof that could be a problem ? At a minimum the Garage door buttons will need to be relocated. Any comments ?

·
Registered
513 Posts
My wife loves her sunroof. She has had one on her last 3 cars. I am going to check on that as soon as our Volt arrives. (currently 4B00). The lease thing won't matter. We had a Lincoln Continental leased about 10 years ago. We had a sunroof installed in that car.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The Lease will be a problem... You are going to have someon cut a hole in the roof of the car. Most Sunroofs do develop leaks after a while (usually not for 8+ years though). If you are leasing a car you do not own it and are expected to return the car in the same condition as recieved, or you will be charged for the repairs. In this case they would probably charge you huge for the sunroof, then resell the car at a markup due to having a Sunroof. I would reccomend contacting the Car owner (dealer) before getting it done.

Most interior headliners can be removed fairly easily. You should pull it off and take a look at the roof. If there are any reinforcement beams on the roof where your sunroof would be its probably a nogo. Most cars are designed with aftermarket sunroofs in mind and have the structral beams in convienient locations. A good installer can relocate any buttons, wires etc. I moved an interior light in My XB when i cut the hole in my roof. Installing the sunroof is pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I would think that cutting a hole on the top of a leased vehicle is a definite no-no. :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
All I can say is that we did that with my wife's 1999 Lincoln Continental and had no problems. In fact, the dealer arranged the whole thing and the sunroof was in when we picked up the car new from the dealer. We had a 2 year lease and there was never a mention of the sunroof at turn in time.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I think that is a completely different situation if the dealer helped arrange the install of the sunroof. That means they were ok with it. I don't think it would be ok to install one without the dealership knowing. They'll get it at turn in and say "Um...why did you put a gaping hole in our car?".

·
Registered
990 Posts
Leases are based on an agreed upon set of assumptions, like how many miles you plan to drive per year, or more importantly to have accumulated when the lease is up. The idea being that the lessor has some notion of what to expect back and from that, develop a residual value number.

Typically if you do anything to the vehicle that could adversely affect it's resale value at term, you might be on the hook for difference. Some things, like high mileing it, have known consequences, a sunroof, who knows? My gut tells me all they do is a walk around to make sure the metal looks age-appropriate and check the odometer, but if the inspector on that day happens to be Nosey Parker...

I'd fully disclose my plans, in writing.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Well we are not leasing so that is a non issue. I just wondered if any other Volt buyers are considering an after market sunroof installation?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Doesn't the Volt have a glass roof. I would think it would be hard to put a sun roof in that glass top.
Cliff P.S. I received a 3400 this morning on my Volt order . Can't wait to get it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Curious to see where this topic goes. As I am a stickler for sunroofs, and may just hold off till the Volt officially has a sunroof. I'll sacrifice a few tenths of range for the open air roof drive.

Webasto makes some of the best aftermarket sunroofs. Wonder if maybe the Webasto Hollandia 700 series would fit the Volt? It fits in the Prius.

Here's their main page: http://webastoshowroom.com/

Keep us informed, I'm curious.

I only hope GM makes it a factory option soon.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Doesn't the Volt have a glass roof. I would think it would be hard to put a sun roof in that glass top.
The Volt's roof is black-painted steel. While I love the idea of a sunroof, there's not a lot of room to install one--only 42" front to back.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Plus the lack of headroom. Most sunroofs drop the headliner some for the mechanical stuff so that would make it even lower.

·
Registered
915 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
I suspect that a sunroof will negatively affect the overall Cd, and could knock a bit off the CD range, as well as reduce the already anemic CS fuel efficiency. (But Cd probably won't be as bad as the original concept design. B-)

Of course you could always try driving backwards, maybe that would improve the CD range after a sunroof is installed. LOL

WVhybrid

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Cliff P.S. I received a 3400 this morning on my Volt order . Can't wait to get it.
Um NO. The roof on a Volt is high strength steel painted black.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
You need to discuss a sunroof with the BANK that owns your Volt. If you have an Ally lease... You need to ask Ally BEFORE you modify the car. The Dealer is NOT Ally. Your written contract is with the leasing company. Nobody else's opinion matters.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
There's quite a bit of head room any way with the seat adjusted all of the way down. I'm 6'4" and have plenty of room. I don't think it would have been an issue for 99% of the folks out there.

But, yeah, that does look very well done. Very slick.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The Volt with sunroof in the Webasto catalog opens outward. Aside from the shade, it appears headroom won't be an issue. Closed, the Cd is the same as a normal Volt. You just have to carry more weight...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts