GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all! I'm a 2013 Volt owner and frankly I love the damn thing. 3 years I've owned it with little to no cost besides a set of tires to replace the cheap Chinese ones I got it with.

What I do is screen print. I've been doing it for about 9 years now and I had a bit of an idea so I took a chance on it.

Being Volt fans, I hope you'll find these at least worth looking at if nothing else. I appreciate it.

·
Administrator
21,115 Posts
Nice work. I moved your duplicated post to the For Sale area and this one to general news.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Very nice but I have a question. Do you have to have a license agreement to use these copyrighted images and trademarked logos?

If so how did you go about acquiring those licenses?

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
If you draw them yourself, no problem. If copied from another source you would need permission as you are making money from them. Which brings up the question, didn't see how you could buy them despite shopping cart icon. What am I missing?

Edit post: just figured it out on other post.

What's shipping to Canada, (post etc.).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh i drew my own :)

Very nice but I have a question. Do you have to have a license agreement to use these copyrighted images and trademarked logos?

If so how did you go about acquiring those licenses?

i actually drew my own. i looked into that specific design and i didnt like the accuracy of it so i started it from scratch tracing over my own volts photos as well as volts photos i found on their website.

as far as the volt logo goes ive been trying to find contact information to find who i need to be in contact with. The GM website does not provide any contact information for royalties.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Chevrolet volt Automotive design
Automotive design Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Mid-size car

pure pita...but but at least this way i can say i made my own and im at least happy with their accuracy

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
i actually drew my own. i looked into that specific design and i didnt like the accuracy of it so i started it from scratch tracing over my own volts photos as well as volts photos i found on their website.
See that could be a problem. I've done a number of portraits from photos I didn't take. I can never sell them because I used copyrighted material as my source. Technically they're copies.

as far as the volt logo goes ive been trying to find contact information to find who i need to be in contact with. The GM website does not provide any contact information for royalties.
So you know why I asked. I've had the same problem.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
P.S. You may still get away with selling these without any issues. A lot depends on how they're used, and how much money you make from it. GM is reticent to spend a lot of money on attorneys to chase down someone making less money than the cost of the legal fees, so long as the materials aren't used to put them in a bad light.

More likely you might get a cease and desist order if anything.

Disclaimer: Never take legal advice from strangers on the internet. Comments in this post are for entertainment purposes only.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I absolutely love the "Home is where the charging cord is" poster. A nice accessory to put next to the charger in the garage, and a conversation starter for sure!

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
See that could be a problem. I've done a number of portraits from photos I didn't take. I can never sell them because I used copyrighted material as my source. Technically they're copies.

So you know why I asked. I've had the same problem.
So would a solution be to go outside, take a picture and trace that? I would think an angled shot would be better than front/back/side.

P.S. You may still get away with selling these without any issues. A lot depends on how they're used, and how much money you make from it. GM is reticent to spend a lot of money on attorneys to chase down someone making less money than the cost of the legal fees, so long as the materials aren't used to put them in a bad light.

More likely you might get a cease and desist order if anything.

Disclaimer: Never take legal advice from strangers on the internet. Comments in this post are for entertainment purposes only.
I know the attorney who works for the NHL. He travels around, attending hockey games on his organizations dime, then slaps cease and desist orders on vendors selling unlicensed NHL stuff. This type of stuff can get nasty, fast.

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
side note, the schematic t-shirt might look more distinctive with black tires and the black portion under the windows darkened.

Plus, the front/side/back views seems like they accuse you of copying. Why not trace some strange angle like this

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
So would a solution be to go outside, take a picture and trace that? I would think an angled shot would be better than front/back/side.
A photo you take can be used. A photo someone else takes, not without permission.

Used in advertising is a different thing. You'll notice when you see an ad that uses a car which is not an ad for that car company, the logos are blocked out.

I know the attorney who works for the NHL. He travels around, attending hockey games on his organizations dime, then slaps cease and desist orders on vendors selling unlicensed NHL stuff. This type of stuff can get nasty, fast.
Cease and desist orders are harmless. Failing to cease and desist doesn't always lead to litigation, but the consequences can be severe. It's a gamble.

as far as royalties go i havent been able to find anything or anyone i could reach...so far.
I had an idea that might help. Verticalscope (the owner of this site) has numerous car fan sites that use trademarked logos. You might try contacting them to see if they have any GM contact information.

There is a caveat with copyright. If it isn't registered with the USPTO copyright office the owner has no standing to sue for its use. It's still poor form to take another person's work for profit.

Here's a guide on copyright basics:

https://www.uspto.gov/learning-and-resources/ip-policy/copyright/copyright-basics

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry for the slow reply. ive actually been printing. the angled approach is a much better representation as it portrays an object in 3d space as opposed to a simplified depth-less side view which is flat. Here is the issue. i wanted this to be a blueprint...and thats more technical and flat than it is a 3d representation of the volt. the other issue is the HARD work was the side view...where you have to trace the entire car. with the front and back images you only trace HALF the car. (left or right) and then you mirror it which cuts your symmetry issues as well as well awkward angles . unless i park my volt in a warehouse. draw a grid under it and then a triangle from each side which indicates exactly where tripod placement needs to be as well as lens correction stuff on top...then it just creates an unsymmetrical mess. so thankfully cars are not like faces and you can just mirror half and cut your workload in half as well.

tracing from an angled view...eliminates any symmetry issues but its also a crap-load more work...well not MUCH more than the side view but even there i got away with some easy parallel lines.

·
Registered
637 Posts
In order for something to go through the courts, there has to be actual harm/damage. Let's see if GM steps up to the plate and actually does something with the Voltec drive train and then we can talk. lol

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
In order for something to go through the courts, there has to be actual harm/damage.
The term for that is "standing".

It's presumed in these cases that the seller of unlicensed trademark materials is stealing income from the owner of that trademark.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
The term for that is "standing".

It's presumed in these cases that the seller of unlicensed trademark materials is stealing income from the owner of that trademark.
Now we're going from copyright to trademark. Not the same thing.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Now we're going from copyright to trademark. Not the same thing.
The images have copyright. The logos are trademarked. Both are the subject of this thread. The law as it relates to each can be found at the USPTO site linked.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well i suppose i should have just made up a car that doesnt exist, made a blueprint that advertises it. and offered that for sale. just so everyone is much happier?

this was more about sharing something i make with my own hands, themed to a common subject we are all part of the forum because of but it turned into a technicalities debate that led to nothing. thank you all for the views at least!

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
well i suppose i should have just made up a car that doesnt exist, made a blueprint that advertises it. and offered that for sale. just so everyone is much happier?

this was more about sharing something i make with my own hands, themed to a common subject we are all part of the forum because of but it turned into a technicalities debate that led to nothing. thank you all for the views at least!
I think what you did was cool, but as an artist you do have to worry about copyrights and trademarks. GM probably won't notice or sue, but Disney certainly will get you with anything that has mouse ears, Yoda, etc. There's big money and expensive attorneys involved, something you can't afford to defend. So Mr. Dave was just trying to be helpful in his own way.

Side note, how are you with making up digital cartoon characters? I've got an internet site that I need to populate, I can create the content and the HTML, but was looking for a starving, talented artist to create something to make this site unique and memorable (similar to the way Geico has their gecko). PM me if you are interested and have some prior work samples to show me.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts

I hold both a registered copyright and a trademark. Guess how I'd deal with you if you used any part of them in commerce Alex.

I asked a proper question that anyone purchasing them should ask about these things. When you revealed that you didn't have the proper permission, I tried to give you a nudge in the right direction.

Don't play the victim now. What you're selling are both derivatives of copyrighted work, and registered trademarks. That you traced them yourself does not give you license to use them to make money. For that you will need written permission from the owners.

There are Chevy Volt shirts and posters being sold in a number of places on the web. You can be sure that if they're not licensed, they'll be talking to GM's attorneys. Attorneys don't care about your feelings.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts