GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Potential Transmission Replacement, Volt stopped moving, got "Shift to Park"...Gen 2.

2016. 17k miles, running engine, got 3 gallons gas after tank low, car stopped moving, reset car 3 times, wouldn't move, onstar said these two codes: P0AC4 and P0C04. Car at dealer. 5 codes at dealer point to transmission replacement. Drove about 400 miles on the engine, 17,000 on battery. Is there an alternative to replacing the transmission? What would be different about the transmission going in versus the one coming out (was produced Oct 2015)?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
"STP" is a blanket statement for a variety of problems...Having been through this myself, just bring it to a dealer...

·
4,851 Posts
Keep us posted on what you find out Mr. Energy Czar!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Bummer, I hear about too many of the "shift to park" failures on here. I don't think gen1 had anything that regular that would strand you, did it?

IIRC, it can be many things, but the common ones I remember are loose connections on the 12V positive terminal (there are many sub-connectors there), and some special fuse on the traction pack that was never expected to fail but seems to for some weird reason. Would be interested in what yours is...

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Bummer, I hear about too many of the "shift to park" failures on here. I don't think gen1 had anything that regular that would strand you, did it?

IIRC, it can be many things, but the common ones I remember are loose connections on the 12V positive terminal (there are many sub-connectors there), and some special fuse on the traction pack that was never expected to fail but seems to for some weird reason. Would be interested in what yours is...
Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing earlier when he posted this. It is hard to say about the 2016 & 17s, but they do seem to have these issues (how prevalent is anyone's guess, but seems to be a higher % of leaving you stranded than the older design.

My 2012 has been a very solid machine. I want a 2017, but just haven't gotten myself to do it yet. My wife and kids are really wanting the new Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, and yes, I like it very much as well ;)

·
Registered
871 Posts
I used that Service Manual I found a while ago and found this:

I'm not sure what that means for you, but you definitely need to take your car into the dealer if the motors are drawing too much current. You may end up getting a warranty-covered transmission replacement like a couple other members have gotten.

3,600 Posts
2016. 17k miles, running engine, got 3 gallons gas after tank low, car stopped, reset car 3 times, move, onstar said these two codes: P0AC4 and P0C04. Car at dealer. What's the proper fix for this? I didn't get the latest fix yet that just came out about 2 months ago. I forgot what it was for. Thanks.
We're so sorry to hear this happened, MrEnergyCzar. We would like to connect with you to gather some information so we can reach out to your dealership to discuss this further. At your earliest convenience, please send us a private message with your VIN, contact information and dealership.

To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Lauren E.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Oh yes. Many low coolant related issues. And don't forget all the heating related issues when the heater was changed. And how about "all those" failed bearing cages? Memory is a fragile thing .... :D

The one thing I can say is that I've been surprised at how few issues we've seen reported about the Bolt EV.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Oh yes. Many low coolant related issues. And don't forget all the heating related issues when the heater was changed. And how about "all those" failed bearing cages? Memory is a fragile thing .... :D

The one thing I can say is that I've been surprised at how few issues we've seen reported about the Bolt EV.
Sure, I know there were issues, but I don't think all of the ones you listed would strand you on the side of the road, correct? It's one thing to get a CEL or be without heat... it's another to be stuck somewhere. IIRC, even the bearing was just noisy at first (though could fail horribly later, I think). Obviously any failure sucks, but I'd much rather limp home and then to the dealer than have to get a lift and arrange a tow, etc.

I'm with you on the Bolt... so far so good, glad to hear it (but could be due to the low numbers sold, who knows).

·
Registered
871 Posts
The dealer is showing 5 codes that, when combined, point to replacing transmission.
If possible, could you have them give you the codes and post them here? We like to keep track of the codes thrown on people's cars to see possible trends.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If possible, could you have them give you the codes and post them here? We like to keep track of the codes thrown on people's cars to see possible trends.
I knew I should have taken a picture of the sheet. I'll try and get them. I was told that when all 5 of these codes come up, the transmission replacement is the recommendation. The bulletin or whatever they call it is dated Jan 9th, 2017. The tech is doing other tests of other things first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts