GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached FYI is a link to a PDF I downloaded showing the new class action lawsuit against GM (Volt steering system sticking on center, etc.)

Does anyone have an educated idea of what actually could be causing the problem? The suit itself is rather unclear, although there are a large number of people cited who complained of experiencing the problem.

I am worried because while I don't recall our Volt having sticking steering per se, there have been a few times where I have noticed an occasional odd feedback in the steering. Also, I have noticed, and regularly when the car is cold, a squeaking noise under the dash and inside the car when turning the wheel, especially when parking. I am worried this may be the start of something worse. My Volt is out of warranty and a rack replacement would be extremely costly without help from GM.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B53E8F6801EEC0A9!36642&authkey=!AO4ZmExVETUONjQ&ithint=file,pdf

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Attached FYI is a link to a PDF I downloaded showing the new class action lawsuit against GM (Volt steering system sticking on center, etc.)

Does anyone have an educated idea of what actually could be causing the problem? The suit itself is rather unclear, although there are a large number of people cited who complained of experiencing the problem.

I am worried because while I don't recall our Volt having sticking steering per se, there have been a few times where I have noticed an occasional odd feedback in the steering. Also, I have noticed, and regularly when the car is cold, a squeaking noise under the dash and inside the car when turning the wheel, especially when parking. I am worried this may be the start of something worse. My Volt is out of warranty and a rack replacement would be extremely costly without help from GM.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B53E8F6801EEC0A9!36642&authkey=!AO4ZmExVETUONjQ&ithint=file,pdf
Don't sweat the warranty side of this. You should have received a letter stating that the warranty for this, if it ever comes up, is 10 years or 150k.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
My Volt is out of warranty and a rack replacement would be extremely costly without help from GM.
You may want to check that you've received the special warranty extension for this issue. Login to OnStar.com and drill down to your warranty page to see if this one is in place.

Special Warranty.JPG

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Phew, thank Goodness.... Well at least that's one thing I have 7 years and 50 k left on LOL.... Now if only they would boost my Voltec warranty up the same, lol....

·
Registered
232 Posts
Other GM models have received the same warranty extension.

From what I've seen the condition appears to occur from limited use of the steering range built into the vehicle. Cycling the steering thru more of its full range (parallel parking as opposed to freeway driving) and most likely you will never encounter any issue. Can't parallel park? Do a figure 8 in a parking lot once in a while. I'm thinking as the miles accumulate the less likely this condition will occur.

·
Registered
13,562 Posts
Phew, thank Goodness.... Well at least that's one thing I have 7 years and 50 k left on LOL.... Now if only they would boost my Voltec warranty up the same, lol....
The 3 year 36K mile warrantee is the bumper to bumper portion. The powertrain is much longer, like with most vehicles.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Also, I have noticed, and regularly when the car is cold, a squeaking noise under the dash and inside the car when turning the wheel, especially when parking.
Last time I looked under there I noticed a few u-joints from the steering column. Could be one of them is squeaking a bit when cold. Not sure what to do about it. I'd say WD40, but that might not be right.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I just got something in the mail from GM saying the steering rack's warranty has been extended and if I see the issue, bring it in and they'll replace the rack at no charge.

So far I haven't seen the issue crop up, and since the lease is up in about 8 months, hopefully Volt 2.0 will be readily available and perhaps they will have solved this issue in version 2.0

·
Registered
383 Posts
The press on the class action suggests it's 2011-2014 Volts affected, but we have had neither letter from GM or see the warranty noted in the Warranty page for our car at Onstar.com. Should we be concerned, or is the report of 2013-14 Volts potentially being affected erroneous?

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Sure, let me explain how this works.

The lawyers make Millions.

You get a $5.00 credit on the purcahse of a new Gm product.

Those millions get past back to the consumer in the cost of the product.

Hip hip hurray for class action suits.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Sure, let me explain how this works.

The lawyers make Millions.

You get a $5.00 credit on the purcahse of a new Gm product.

Those millions get past back to the consumer in the cost of the product.

Hip hip hurray for class action suits.
A complete waste of time and money.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I heard it's a case of having to use two fingers to turn the wheel instead of one... Some people figure it may be related to the steering system helping the vehicle stay centered now of course if your alignment is off you would constantly be drifting so then it might be a pain..

In either case it sounds like people complaining for the sake of complaining and there is no real safety issue.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I heard it's a case of having to use two fingers to turn the wheel instead of one...
Sounds like a fun weekend!

·
Administrator
20,150 Posts
No safety issue, more of a minor annoyance if anything. Might as well initiate a class action lawsuit about the popping noise the rear spoiler can sometimes make as it expands and contracts. I put it in that league. I had the steering issue and then it went away. I also get a letter from GM that extends my 2011 warranty for this.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Interestingly, i noticed that phenomenon on my last 750 mile round trip.
About a half way there, the steering would "stick" in one position. Each "correction" one typically makes at highway speeds due to road surface changes, wind etc. felt seriously odd. I was concern at first, then attributed it to outside temperature gradually getting colder and the fact that it was a straight line driving ( someone here mentioned that prolonged driving at highway speeds may cause that )

Either way - i feel this is a serious problem and should be addressed. From a mechanical stand point it can not be a good or normal behavior.

·
Registered
104 Posts
How much effort did it take to unstick it and could it not be considered part of

straight line control system to stop the vehicle from drifting as much when driving straight for long periods of time?

·
Registered
846 Posts
I wonder what the fix is, has anyone had the fix installed, did it work?

I have noticed the problem occosinaly mostly on long trips when for a fraction of a second it takes a little more effort to turn the wheel, while very noticable it is more of an issue of being startled by the issue then being a serious problem turning the wheel.

·
Registered
800 Posts
How much effort did it take to unstick it and could it not be considered part of

straight line control system to stop the vehicle from drifting as much when driving straight for long periods of time?
It took enough effort to make the driving experience slightly erratic - the steering would "jump" enough, a correction was needed every time. I got used to it after a while,

·
Registered
800 Posts
I wonder what the fix is, has anyone had the fix installed, did it work?

I have noticed the problem occosinaly mostly on long trips when for a fraction of a second it takes a little more effort to turn the wheel, while very noticable it is more of an issue of being startled by the issue then being a serious problem turning the wheel.
Yes... that is a good assessment... for me it wasn't that it was hard to turn the wheel, but rather that my brain would go "WTF!, what just happened? "

3,600 Posts
Originally Posted by marlowI wonder what the fix is, has anyone had the fix installed, did it work?

Hello marlow,

I can understand how concerning this must be. Even though this has been an intermittent issue, please let me know if you're interested in having the dealership take a look at the vehicle.

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 20 of 48 Posts