GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to try letting everyone know about this one more time, and if no one's interested I'll let it die. :) I've got my Volt stats website up and running here:

http://www.voltstats.net

I haven't had as much time lately to work on it as I'd like, but it's functional and I've been tracking my Volt's stats for a couple weeks now. I'm interfacing with the webservice that the mobile apps use, but I'm really curious to see what the enhancements are to myvolt.com that are "coming soon", and hopefully I can interface there if the data's a lot better.

Anyway, my goal is to get a leaderboard together where we can compare everyone's stats. Yes, this means you have to register your Onstar login/password with the site, but without your Onstar PIN I don't think there's any way I could send any commands to the car. I've also published the source code to github in case it'll make anyone feel any better about registering their car on the site:

https://github.com/mrosack/VoltInterface

It's an ASP.NET MVC 2/MonoBuilder project, although it could easily be converted to VS 2010 format. If anyone would like to contribute, or even rip it off, feel free.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Volt stats website... good info

Good idea... I've been waiting for a place that has volt owners stats that are updated....

So far all we can get is bits and pieces....

So far it looks like to me that the Volt is far exceeding the sticker MPGs.

Especially for the the daily commuter.

I've seen from 100 to 400 mpg for daily commutes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I added my car, it hasn't shown up yet but fingers crossed!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for adding your cars, guys - unfortunately, I'm having trouble syncing any cars except mine. I'll look at it more first thing in the morning, hopefully it's not a showstopper!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I added mine as well. It told me I was on but couldn't do anything. I don't have a smart phone though. I can only estimate my EV miles. Take Care, TED Volt #1506

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
Thanks for adding your cars, guys - unfortunately, I'm having trouble syncing any cars except mine. I'll look at it more first thing in the morning, hopefully it's not a showstopper!
Let us know. I'd be willing to add mine as well. Love to see this stuff happen automatically. You'd expect GM to offer something like this as an opt-in feature in the future.

"Similar Threads" showed your other/1st thread for those interested: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?7499-Volt-Stats-Website

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you added your car before this message, you'll have to add it again, there was a bug in the registration code. I think it's all working, now - if you don't get asked to enter a confirmation code from your email (similar to what happens when you register a mobile device), it didn't work, please let me know. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
What data are you going to obtain/track/graph for comparison purposes? It is not a security question but a functionality question.

Maintenance Vehicle Systems History

On the onstar site there is a 'history' page where you can view mileage info and even download it in CSV, etc.
Here is what my data currently looks like.

View as table most recent data Download: CSV | XLS | PDF Print
Email Date | Odometer Reading | Distance Since Last Reading | Average Daily Driving
03/01/2011 | 1002 | --|--
03/31/2011 | 2303 | 1301 | 43
05/01/2011 | 3395 | 1092 | 36

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
If you added your car before this message, you'll have to add it again, there was a bug in the registration code. I think it's all working, now - if you don't get asked to enter a confirmation code from your email (similar to what happens when you register a mobile device), it didn't work, please let me know. Thanks!
Format of email you should get:
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2011 10:10 AM
To: <snip>
Subject: OnStar MyLink Mobile App Registration -
You are receiving this email based on your request to register a mobile device for use with the OnStar MyLink mobile app. For security purposes, any mobile device that you intend to use with this app must be registered.
After launching the mobile app and logging in with your OnStar Username and Password, please enter the following code to complete the registration process:
<snip>
Once registered, you will have complete access to the mobile application, bringing unmatched vehicle connectivity into the palm of your hand.
Please note this code will expire in 24 hours. After this time, a new code must be requested to complete the registration process.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you have questions or concerns? Please contact us at: http://www.onstar.com or 1.888.4.ONSTAR
You can contact OnStar at the following address:
Attn: OnStar Subscriber Services, P.O. Box 1027, Warren, MI 48090-1027.
(C) 2010 OnStar. All Rights Reserved.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Scott,

I was able to get your car synchronized with the app, thanks! I ran into a bug because you hadn't set a nickname for your car, but it's good to find things like that!

As for the data, right now I'm tracking:

Lifetime EV Miles/Total Miles/MPG
Last trip EV Miles/Total Miles/MPG

And that's about it. There's not a lot more I can get from the phone interface, other than tire pressure and oil life, if people want to see their tire stats we can surely track them. :)

Going forward, I'm not sure what else I'll be tracking/graphing. Once we have enough data I might do a monthly graph showing a bar per month or something. If anyone has any ideas I'd be glad to hear them. Mostly my goal over the next week or so is to clean the site up and hopefully make it not quite so ugly - if anyone's good with graphic design I could definitely use the help since I'm artistically challenged. :)

I'm hoping going forward that the upgrade to myvolt.com will give us better data (like raw kw*hrs or something) - we'll have to see what happens there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I re-registered this morning and was prompted for an activation code this time. Will my car show up during your next data refresh?

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
Hey Scott, I was able to get your car synchronized with the app, thanks! I ran into a bug because you hadn't set a nickname for your car, but it's good to find things like that!
Where do you set the nickname. I don't have a smartphone. Set it on the onstar site? ( https://www.onstar.com/web/portal/home ). I did not see where you did that.

So if I understand you are using the "phone" app interface/api to get the data and you can only get what it offers? True?

That means you can't get all the data that the https://www.onstar.com site offers (see table in previous post) *or* all the data that myvolt.com offers?

P.S. you site prompts a login all the time so people even going to look at your stats via your signature hyperlink get that login prompt. It should probably not do that by default. Actually I'm not sure why there is a login except to register?!?!? Perhaps I'm confused.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where do you set the nickname. I don't have a smartphone. Set it on the onstar site? ( https://www.onstar.com/web/portal/home ). I did not see where you did that.
I set the nickname through my phone - maybe there's a way to set it on myvolt.com, but I can't find it right now, either. Anyone else?

So if I understand you are using the "phone" app interface/api to get the data and you can only get what it offers? True?

That means you can't get all the data that the https://www.onstar.com site offers (see table in previous post) *or* all the data that myvolt.com offers?
Yup, I'm talking to the phone API. It's probably possible to talk to onstar.com/myvolt.com, but that hasn't been implemented yet.

I think the data at onstar.com only updates once a month, and since I haven't had my Volt for a month I don't see anything there. I think I'm tracking similar information, though - is there something specific from that CSV file you'd like to see?

If you're asking about historical data, I can't get that through the phone API - I can only get current readings. Maybe I can figure out a way for users to import their historical use CSV files into the site, though.

P.S. you site prompts a login all the time so people even going to look at your stats via your signature hyperlink get that login prompt. It should probably not do that by default. Actually I'm not sure why there is a login except to register?!?!? Perhaps I'm confused.
Hmm... you shouldn't need to login to the site unless you're registering your car. Can you send me a screenshot of what you're seeing?

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
Hey Scott,

I was able to get your car synchronized with the app, thanks! I ran into a bug because you hadn't set a nickname for your car, but it's good to find things like that!

As for the data, right now I'm tracking:

Lifetime EV Miles/Total Miles/MPG
Last trip EV Miles/Total Miles/MPG

And that's about it. There's not a lot more I can get from the phone interface, other than tire pressure and oil life, if people want to see their tire stats we can surely track them. :)
Yes tracking the average tire pressure (from the 4 tires for a data point) would be good. A factor in good EV mileage perhaps. Mine is probably 39.5 as an example.

Oil % could be interesting to see if it corresponds to gas miles driven. Supposedly it is more than just the number of miles driven and we could see that (ie. how "hard" of miles were driven - higher reving on hills, or just sports driving, etc).

From the onstar 'history' page per my previous post I'd like you to be able to see your information.

Mileage CSV format is as follows:
Code:
Email Date,Odometer Reading(Miles),Distance Since Last Reading (Miles),Average Daily Driving (Miles/Day)
03/01/2011,1002,0,0
03/31/2011,2303,1301,43
05/01/2011,3395,1092,36
Oil CSV format is as follows:
Code:
Email Date,% Remaining Oil Life,Odometer (Miles)
03/01/2011,95,1002
03/31/2011,93,2303
05/01/2011,91,3395

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I'll try to start tracking tire pressure/oil life tonight - I probably won't have time to get it to display anywhere, but at least we'll have it when I have time to get that in. Also, I'm having a problem syncing your Volt, and I'm not sure why - I thought I had fixed the bug with your account since you don't have a nickname, but maybe there's something else. I'll try to get it fixed tonight as well.

I'm not sure why you're getting the login prompt, I thought it might be a Chrome bug but I installed Chrome and couldn't duplicate it. I'll try duplicating it from work tomorrow, maybe I'm not getting it because I'm inside my network. Anyone else seeing the login prompt problem?

UPDATE: I've changed the site so you can go to it in normal HTTP mode and it will redirect to HTTPS for login. That login prompt has to be related to some restricted areas I have on my HTTPS site, so while I still don't know why you're getting it if you go to the non-HTTPS links it shouldn't happen. I've updated the links in my signature, if you click on them I don't think you'll get the prompt anymore.

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
UPDATE: I've changed the site so you can go to it in normal HTTP mode and it will redirect to HTTPS for login. That login prompt has to be related to some restricted areas I have on my HTTPS site, so while I still don't know why you're getting it if you go to the non-HTTPS links it shouldn't happen. I've updated the links in my signature, if you click on them I don't think you'll get the prompt anymore.
That worked. I no longer get the prompt. You can email me off line or we can talk on the phone if you want some help testing that may work well when we are on the phone. gm-v0lt (atsign) fauque (d0t) c0m

1 - 20 of 269 Posts