GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daily commute consists of a 52 mile commute to work 5 days a week. For the past month I've been able to charge at work with the stock EVSE. Depending on temperature, I don't always get a full charge. Usually nothing less than 38 miles charge however.

Some of the more recent morning are a little on the cool side with later and later sunrises. Last week I was playing around using Mountain Mode. Thinking if I used it more in the middle of my commute I could take advantage of using the generated heat. Other things going through my mind are the coming winter and the perceived notion that I'd be using the ICE more.

I've been so used to these longer commutes and my previous ICE vehicles running at extended lengths driving at operating temperatures, that I am wondering what effects these little stints of engine use will potentially have? We've all heard how highway mileage benefit long term life vs equal city driving with the conventional ICEs. It had me wondering.

Anyhow, I found it interesting to see that though my MPGcs rates went down with the usage of MM, my overal MPG went up. Not to mention, MPGe went up as well.

Images were taken from my voltstats page with the Reading History tab and the moving average set at 15 days. If you look in the middle of the last column, you can see where last week's info starts.

MPGcs.JPG mpg.JPG MPGe.JPG

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
The engine will help warm the battery and bump up the overall mpg a little. Cold mornings for a 2013 could be best started in hold mode versus driving down the battery in CD mode and then having the engine start. My 70 mile morning commute, when I do it, is to use MM in the middle and end the drive with battery. I have hit 50 miles CD in the summer and 40 miles when it is 40*F out.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I have come to the similar conclusions. The Volt is more efficient in CD mode in around town stop and go below 45 MPH and more efficient in CS mode on limited access roads 55 MPH and above. In stop and go I only get about 25 MPG in CS mode with the inefficiencies of the engine starting and stopping over and over but get ~40 miles per 10kW. Contrarily, on the highway I get about 27 miles per 10kW in CD and 37 MPG in CS. All the more reason I wish my 2012 had a hold mode.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts