GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 volt 87k miles. I was traveling from one work location to another where without warning the volt which was on generator began lurching like a teenager just learning to drive. It was normal speed then suddenly halting like the breaks were applied. Then would lurch forward again. Was completely scary experience as I was in traffic. Thankfully I was able to narrowly avoid several accidents and get into lighter traffic and off to the side of the road. There were no error codes and any indication of issues. I turned the car off and popped the hood, nothing seemed overtly wrong, though a beeping sound could be heard. I closed the hood and entered the car, the dash would power up by the enginge would do nothing and the car was completely inoperable, the energy menu indicated no power and service stabilitrak was showing. I got the vehicle towed, while dealing with chevy on the issue there was no obvious clue. At the dealership it took three days to diagnose, I was initially told it was a sensor for a high voltage system a $600 fix. Then later it turned out to be two sensor, and the drive motor. None of which surprise was under warranty any more... and $1570 to fix. I began contact with chevy over the issue, neither the dealer nor the rep at chevy could give me a clue as why this part spontaneously failed. Im extremely irate at the shoulder shrugs, the car is only 5 years old these are parts i'd expect to last the life of the vehicle but baring that no warning of failure and the vehicles response would have been deadly had I been on the freeway which I often am. 70+ miles per hour and the jolting stops. I've had too numerous of issues with this vehicle in the last several months, from the power cable failing which clearly states voltec but isn't covered, to a wire harness they was damaged unexplained by the cooling fan. This $1500 fix is incredibly expensive for a car of this age, spontaneous failure of this drive motor on a vehicle thats service record demonstrates it has been maintained is unacceptable to me. It happens of course just outside warranty, and if by chance a defect part could affect others with lethal consequences... I've had to escalate the issue through the customer service rep who kept trying to push it back on the dealership, this is a manufacturer issues. The chevy rep wanted me to sit down with the dealer service department to explain why it was so expensive. I told the rep... are you not concerned this is a defective part, this is a manufacturer issue its not the dealers fault they didn't make it they just fixed it. I'm highly concerned this part can fail again without warning or cause.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm still getting the run around, supposedly a district manager is supposed to contact me. Its extremely iritating that this failed with no warning, and without explanation. The tech did say there was some play in the drive motor ... but why there was play and exactly what caused that to fail as well as the sensors.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts