GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marco Andretti, 2006 Indianapolis 500 Rookie of the Year, liked the electric motor's strong acceleration from Woodward's also famous stoplights:

"This is the future," Andretti said. He expects IndyCars also soon will be powered by combination gas/electric drive systems. "This car's performance isn't measured by horsepower, but it is so smooth and has so much torque at the bottom that it really accelerates. I am looking forward to this in my racing future."
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120815/AUTO02/208150340/Volt-speed-wins-Andretti-approval?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Finally someone with some credibility says what Volt owners have come to love about these cars, the ultra smooth almost turbine like pull of 273 ft lbs of instant torque that any muscle car guy would recognize and appreciate. My last three cars were:

2008 4.2L V8 Jaguar XK
2007 7.0L V8 Corvette Z06
2006 6.2L V8 Corvette Z51

I know something about TORQUE

·
Registered
26 Posts
Speaking of which, are there any examples of EREV sport/racing cars that actually perform close to (or better than!) the competition? The only car I can think of is the Fisker and that's hardly a powerhouse. My gut feeling is that the combination of the battery and the heavy engine needed to generate enough power to drive a powerful electric motor might be very detrimental to the overall performance of a potential vehicle in that category.

I think Toyota has a hybrid race car in the works but IIRC it's a parallel hybrid rather than a series hybrid/EREV.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Nice thread..we need more spokespersons like this....

·
Registered
486 Posts
Speaking of which, are there any examples of EREV sport/racing cars that actually perform close to (or better than!) the competition? The only car I can think of is the Fisker and that's hardly a powerhouse. My gut feeling is that the combination of the battery and the heavy engine needed to generate enough power to drive a powerful electric motor might be very detrimental to the overall performance of a potential vehicle in that category.

I think Toyota has a hybrid race car in the works but IIRC it's a parallel hybrid rather than a series hybrid/EREV.
Although it does not have an ICE, the Tesla Model S performance version weighs over 4,600 pounds and accelerates 0-60 in 4.4 seconds. Electric motors and inverters can produce incredible performance. We're only beginning to see what's possible. In another 10-15 years electric race cars will be smoking ICE's big time.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The video is worth watching. Andretti is not a hyper-miler type of driver on the Woodward Avenue Cruise.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Although it does not have an ICE, the Tesla Model S performance version weighs over 4,600 pounds and accelerates 0-60 in 4.4 seconds. Electric motors and inverters can produce incredible performance. We're only beginning to see what's possible. In another 10-15 years electric race cars will be smoking ICE's big time.
If Model X ever gets built, it'll have AWD via a 2nd motor as an option..

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
As an old ex racer - where I think adding electric would be good is in an even-more-than-prius mode. There are those times when a bunch of extra horsepower is needed, but only for a very short time - to pass. If this could be done, then gasoline engines wouldn't need as much peak power, and could be run a good bit more efficiently - and saving just one pit stop is a huge deal in racing.

·
Registered
486 Posts
As an old ex racer - where I think adding electric would be good is in an even-more-than-prius mode. There are those times when a bunch of extra horsepower is needed, but only for a very short time - to pass. If this could be done, then gasoline engines wouldn't need as much peak power, and could be run a good bit more efficiently - and saving just one pit stop is a huge deal in racing.
I'm envisioning a day when pit stops include a 10 -15 second battery change with all of the other usual stuff.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Electric Racers

Check out the White Zombie electric drag racer (Youtube). He absolutely smokes everyone he races....'vettes, Camaros, you name it. The races aren't even close!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts