GM Volt Forum banner

161 - 180 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
4,672 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Sorry if someone already published this, but I can't find it. What are the specifications for a donut spare/wheel for the Gen 2 Volt, and does GM sell the tire/wheel combo?

Thanks.
Yes, GM sells a Volt Spare Tire. It comes with a donut spare tire and wheel, jack, and the threaded rod that attaches thru the carpet in the back so that the spare is attached firmly to the rear deck floor. It also comes with a nice tire cover. I can't remember now, but I think the cost was somewhere between $300 and $400.

IMG_2118.jpg

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'm trying to reconcile what this thread states vs what my 2014 owners manual states. The manual states a 4 point hoist, or a service jack at points not mentioned anywhere in this thread. And do not use any other kind of jack. 2012 owners manual is the same. Lifting with a scissors jack at the hoist points appears to be expressly forbidden.

I'm planning a long drive this Thanksgiving. Bought the spare (full size), have the scissors jack with notch, was going to test everything out today, but what's up with the manual? Has the GM legal team never had a flat on the road! :)

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
I'm trying to reconcile what this thread states vs what my 2014 owners manual states. The manual states a 4 point hoist, or a service jack at points not mentioned anywhere in this thread. And do not use any other kind of jack. 2012 owners manual is the same. Lifting with a scissors jack at the hoist points appears to be expressly forbidden.
I use my scissors jacks (I have two) on the lifting points, on level pavement. I also use wheel chocks on the other two tires. If you prefer a hydraulic jack use it. I have one of those as well. The Chevy spare tire kit optional equipment includes a Cruise spare and scissors jack.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I tried my (one) scissors jack today.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D8BN16W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can understand your TWO scissors jack recommendation. With one at the jack/hoist point, it feels like you're really lifting half the car. The front lifted fine. The back lifted too, and groaned in the process. I did not get the front wheel loose from the driveway. Yeah, probably could of, but frankly, the jack seemed like it wasn't going to make it. I'll get another jack and try again.

Included some pics. Oddly enough, the scissors jack I got looks like it was modified by a previous purchaser and returned. Someone cut a deeper notch on one side. Oddly enough too, that might actually work ok with g1 Volt. I dunno, might return it and ding the seller on not inspecting returns.

I'll just note too that while I'm not normally a "car guy" that works much on my vehicles, I have changed flat tires on the side of the road before with no big issue. Always good to know the tradeoffs, for sure. Be prepared!

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry if someone already published this, but I can't find it. What are the specifications for a donut spare/wheel for the Gen 2 Volt, and does GM sell the tire/wheel combo?

Thanks.
Volt OEM spec is 115/70R16 for a compact spare tire. If you are going for a full size spare, match it to whatever your vehicle has right now.

This has a good compilation of data: http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/wiki/build-your-own-spare-tire-kit-with-quality-chevrolet-oem-parts-for-around-150/

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #168

Thanks.
Post #1 in this thread has the details :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
OMG; my apologies for being so dumb. When I first went to this thread, my browser took me to the first unread post. My lesson learned...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi new to form.
Question is I have a 2019 Chevy Volt and I got a Chevy Cruse spare that is 115/70R16 and when I put it up to my 215/50R17it is about 3 inches shorter than my tire I have on it now. So with that being said I be leave all the tire spin freely but not sure on front tires.
So thinking that the spare tire will be spinning faster than the normal tires because it is shorter. Do you think that will cause a problem?
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Full Size Spare Options (because I hate donuts)

I have a 2017 Volt Premier

These are options I found what are your thoughts?

I am in search of full size wheel options without spending a fortune.

I found this to be the cheapest wheel option (everything matches perfectly except the offset is 42mm instead of 41mm) (also seller says that OEM lug nuts will work fine):

Also found options here in the aluminum in the $150 range

I am not sure how to go, will the steel one be okay as a spare to drive on for a few days if needed or go with the aluminum option? Also, are the OEM lug nuts really compatible with the steel wheel?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for your post. I came looking for "Volt with flat" info because my son and his gf, dog, and cat were just east of Evanston, WY
with an approaching winter storm when their 2013 Volt TPMS reported a flat in the back right tire: a screw was in the tire. The (discontinued) GM Tire Sealant and Compressor they had wouldn't start. Their AAA card got them back to town, into Walmart, the tire plugged, and on their way back (in about 3 hours) for $10.

My 2013 Volt's manual says, "lift the vehicle with a hoist or service jack only". It has a tiny picture of the jack points. There is more useful information about where to lift the car with a service jack on pages 10-4 and 10-5 in the Volt manual. Before reading the manual I looked for a scissor jack with a notch, found one on AMZN, but they looked flimsy and did not seem at all appropriate/adequate for lifting a Volt.

My plan is to: a) carry a 24 oz bottle of pressure sensor safe Slime, b) a metal valve core tool, and c) a 12 V compressor I'm familiar with. That should get me home (or to a shop). At home I would use the Arcan 3 Ton service jack I picked up at Costo.com for $99 to "lift the car", remove the tire, plug the hole, and reverse the process. The manual sure seems to want people to not try to "lift" the vehicle with about anything short of a shop hoist.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
The manual shows jack points for scissor jack but needs to be a slot one so sheet metal edge isn't taking the whole weight. It also shows the jack points for a hydraulic jack (not usually carried because they are bulky and heavy) which are the "Mickey Mouse ears" in the front and the lower seats of the rear springs in the rear. While the rear has plenty of room, the front is too low (for my jack) and car needs to be up on 2x6. Fine for working in the driveway but not so much for at the side of the road that might be gravel.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
GM Tire Sealant and Compressor
Car need to be ON to get power to the power ports
double check the units switch selection before running

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Thanks for your post. I came looking for "Volt with flat" info because my son and his gf, dog, and cat were just east of Evanston, WY
with an approaching winter storm when their 2013 Volt TPMS reported a flat in the back right tire: a screw was in the tire. The (discontinued) GM Tire Sealant and Compressor they had wouldn't start. Their AAA card got them back to town, into Walmart, the tire plugged, and on their way back (in about 3 hours) for $10.

My 2013 Volt's manual says, "lift the vehicle with a hoist or service jack only". It has a tiny picture of the jack points. There is more useful information about where to lift the car with a service jack on pages 10-4 and 10-5 in the Volt manual. Before reading the manual I looked for a scissor jack with a notch, found one on AMZN, but they looked flimsy and did not seem at all appropriate/adequate for lifting a Volt.

My plan is to: a) carry a 24 oz bottle of pressure sensor safe Slime, b) a metal valve core tool, and c) a 12 V compressor I'm familiar with. That should get me home (or to a shop). At home I would use the Arcan 3 Ton service jack I picked up at Costo.com for $99 to "lift the car", remove the tire, plug the hole, and reverse the process. The manual sure seems to want people to not try to "lift" the vehicle with about anything short of a shop hoist.
I have two scissors jack that have a slot in the head where the body pinch weld slips into. Even though I can lift with one jack, I feel two is safer, and helps lift the whole side equally. I got mine at an auto junk yard, $10 each. They are heavy duty, not like the Harbor Freight one.

I also carry a $5 plug kit and a plastic ground sheet in the car. At home I keep foldable wheel chocks to keep the car stable, a lug wrench, torque wrench, the donut spare, the jacks.

I have the same setup for my Bolt, but those jacks have a bump on their head that fits in the "mickey mouse ear" holes in the frame. With the Bolt, I can cary all (including donut spare), and warning triangles, boots, and a collapsable plastic shovel in the cargo area under the floor. The Bolt's tires are self sealing. In the lowest level storage area I have my spare 120V EVSE, the tow eye bolt and a small air compressor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just broke down and bought a spare off of Ebay for $100 plus another $20 for a junkyard jack kit after wasting almost a whole day getting a shredded tire replaced. Part number 9594807 fit just fine on the front and rear. Seems like there are many years/models that you can pull this spare from...

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I just broke down and bought a spare off of Ebay for $100 plus another $20 for a junkyard jack kit after wasting almost a whole day getting a shredded tire replaced. Part number 9594807 fit just fine on the front and rear. Seems like there are many years/models that you can pull this spare from...
I did the same thing. A fellow Volt owner gave me the spare. He said it came off a Cadillac DTS and he made sure it fit front and back. I got the Cruze jack with tools off Ebay for $40:

Attachments

161 - 180 of 194 Posts