GM Volt Forum banner

141 - 160 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
With roadside assistance, a flat is just an inconvenience.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Unless you are 100 miles from the nearest town with a tow truck in the middle of the California desert on the way to Phoenix. Get ready for a 4 hour wait.

2014 Volt Premium - Safety pkg 1 and 2, Navigation

·
Registered
140 Posts

Just a heads up. I purchased a jack for a 2012 Cruze based on information gathered from this thread. Probably should have asked the seller for photos of the critical mating area. My bad. Anyway, be sure to check that since apparently not all 2012 Cruze jacks are compatible with the Gen 1 Volt.

Update 2/19/2018 - The 1.5 Ton Scissor Jack from Harbor Freight works well. At $21.99 minus the 20% off coupon it is a bargain. Also worth mentioning is the 17” aluminum temporary spare from a first gen Caddy DTS/CTS is a good fit for the Gen 1 Volt. It is only about a half inch smaller in diameter than the OEM Goodyear Assurance tires. Total investment is just under $100 bucks. (Not counting the purchase of the 2012 Cruze jack).

Update 3/10/2018 - Modified 2012 Cruze jack. Not pretty but it is functional.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Update 3/10/2018 - Modified 2012 Cruze jack. Not pretty but it is functional.

Yup, looks a lot like one I got from the junk yard. I would file the rough edges, give it a coat of paint and call it done.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
P.S. I use two jacks so I can lift up a whole side when rotating tires.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Isn't a set of jackstands cheaper than a whole second jack?
My two scissor's jacks cost me a total of $20 at the local auto pick and pull. :)

I did the same for my Bolt (it needs an "outie" bump on the top), got two for $20.

L

·
0 Posts
Search with
# 95948072014 for 2006 CADILLAC STS SPARE WHEEL TIRE and
#25769878 for Cadillac DTS Chevrolet Impala Wheel Tire Jack Assembly w/Tool will fit for 2014 volt

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
We have owned 2 Volts, our first 2014 Volt Premier, and our current Volt for which we traded in our 2014, a 2016 Volt Premier model. The 2016 Volt is my wife's daily driver and I have our old 2010 Prius. We plan on going on vacation this summer with our Volt to the extreme Northeastern area of Oregon, near Enterprise Oregon. My wife was under the impression that the Volt tires were run flat type so we would not get stranded 50 miles from nowhere. I told her that is not the case. She told me without hesitation to get a spare tire.

I went on ebay and found a new spare tire with the entire kit, jack tools etc, for $170.00 shipping free. I did not want to go to Portland Oregon to hunt in a junkyard for a spare tire kit, and maybe save a few bucks, and maybe get the wrong one etc.

So I ordered the spare tire kit from ebay made for the 2016 Volt and it arrived a few days later. The tire was already mounted and inflated with the tools in sytrofoam looking material and the jack which went into the under area of the trunk and fit perfectly on the right side out of sight.

The tools fit in the center area of the tire. I then put the tire in a heavy duty black plastic bag and placed it behind the drivers seat With the rear headrest removed the rear seat still folds flat. I still have plenty of driving room, and I don't even know its there.

In the event we have passengers for the back seat, we can just remove the tire and place it in the back area, and its not that heavy.

It will be a piece of mind and worth every penny if we have a side wall blowout miles from the nearest town, and no cell coverage, and be possibly stuck in the middle of the wilderness for the night or maybe even longer....

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a spare tire in my garage that I'd like to use it as a spare for my 2018 volt. It is a new spare sitting my garage for a while but never been used. But I am having a hard time trying to figure out the offset number from the engraved information from the tire or rim.

It is a firestone spare tire. These are the texts engraved:

On the Tire:
T115/70R16 92M
Tubeless radial
3116 UU BM30431-2
Dot wbp3 h5u 3305

On the rim:
16x4 T K4 31 021606 USA DOT T

But I don't know which number is the offset or how do I know the offset for this spare from this information? Can I measure it myself?

I saw MilliVolt post where he used Compact tire: Maxxis T115/70R16 92M tire on 16x4 wheel with 5x105mm lug pattern and 42mm offset.

Is my firestone spare close enough for this? Please let me know if you need pics of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I researched this info some time ago and the best I could come up with was an offset of 38mm. There was some conflicting info that indicated it could be a range of 35-45.

I misread your post originally. You need to know the offset of the rim you already have. My guess would be it is 31 mm but I would hope a good tire shop could interpret the numbers for you accurately. Possibly some web searches for sites selling rims would list examples to give you an idea of the correct way to read the specs.

I need to find/purchase a compact wheel/spare myself but other then asking at Discount Tire I haven't chased one down. Suggestions on where to purchase at a reasonable cost are welcome.

For reference, here are the specs I arrived at from this group and elsewhere for my 2015 Volt:

PCD (Pitch Circle Diameter) Bolt pattern: 5 x 115 (115 mm is the diameter of a circle drawn through the center of the bolt holes).
Lug spacing (or is this 2016 PCD?): 105 mm
Offset: 38 mm. (or a range 35 - 45?)
Rim: 7J x 17 ET35 (Rim width (in) x rim diameter (in). J is mounting flange type. (ET35 is a positive offset of 35mm.)
Thread Size: M12 x 1.5 (ISO Standard. Diameter (mm) x Pitch (mm))
Center Bore: 70.3 mm
Tire: 215/55R17 (Width (mm) / Aspect Ratio (%), Rim diameter (in))
Spare: 125/70R17 - 145/70/R17 - 125/70R16 ?

·
Registered
170 Posts
The body to jack interface is different in 2018 and requires a different jack then the 2017.
See attached owners manual illustrations from 2017 and 2018 owner's manuals.

View attachment 147930

Do you know if its possible to use a jack with a slot cut in the middle (see post 135) on the 2018 volt or does it need the offset slot as shown in the manual? I assume that jack would have to be special ordered from GM

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Do you know if its possible to use a jack with a slot cut in the middle (see post 135) on the 2018 volt or does it need the offset slot as shown in the manual? I assume that jack would have to be special ordered from GM
Always best to go with what's recommended if in doubt. If the leg and rail are equally supported with a slotted scissors jack like they are with the offset version, then I might be willing to give it a try.

I assume the jack would be the same as what is sold for the Cruze

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The body to jack interface is different in 2018 and requires a different jack then the 2017.
See attached owners manual illustrations from 2017 and 2018 owner's manuals.
The 2018 model actually has a large raised area (bump in the floor pan) next to the pinch weld that's intended to hold the weight of the car. Cutting a slot into the jack head makes it fit over the pinch weld, but I worry it won't rest far enough on the raised area to support the car without damaging it or causing an injury.
View attachment 154653
I wish I had found the previous post before I ordered a jack based on MilliVolt's recommendation. Now I have a jack like Rickoshay's, and I won't be using it.

Steverino, maybe you can update the first post so others with a 2018 don't make the same mistake I did. Thanks!

This is the style of jack needed for the 2018 Volt, allegedly from a 2015-2018 Cruze. But I see the old-style jack listed for the same Cruze model years. Haven't found the part number for it yet. The ebay listing for this jack is $69, so I didn't bite.
Capture.jpg

·
Registered
1,886 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Found what looks like the correct jack for the 2018 Volt, part number 39064618. Unfortunately, it seems to only be available in Europe, as it belongs to the Opel/Vauxhall Astra. I've seen some Saturn Astras with the same jack, but the same year might have different jack styles.
https://www.doopla.cz/dily/zvedak-hever-opel-astra-k-39064618-2777.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 17" diameter version of the 16" aluminum spare discussed above has an interchange number is 560-08058. Overall diameter of the 145/70R17 tire that is typically on this wheel is 25" which is about 5% (-1.3") smaller than the standard issue 215/55R17. Overall diameter of the typical 16" compact spare tire 120/70R16 is 22.9" which is about 13% (-3.42") smaller than the 215/55R17.
The tire size mentioned on the first page of this forum for the 16" compact spare is incorrect. It is not 120/70R16 but rather 125/70R16. I confirmed this with what's being sold on ebay and a call to Discount Tire.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sorry if someone already published this, but I can't find it. What are the specifications for a donut spare/wheel for the Gen 2 Volt, and does GM sell the tire/wheel combo?

Thanks.

141 - 160 of 194 Posts