GM Volt Forum banner

121 - 140 of 202 Posts

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Where did you get the donut spare? Is it from a Chevy Cruze? Dimensions?
Please read post #1 in this thread for your answers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
can confirm the cadillac alu fits a 2014 volt:

WHEEL 17X4 COMPACT SPARE ALUMINUM FITS 2006-2011 DTS OEM WITH JACK KIT

were i travelling great distances i would put this in the rear and put the regular wheel from the rear to the front. also, the jack that came with this has the slot in it, but doesn't compact down far enough to fit perfectly in the under floor cubby. it's close, but no cigar.

it comes with this handy dandy storage caddy that fits inside the wheel however.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
In looking for this thread today, I could not find it as a sticky thread. I was thinking this should be a sticky. Mods, if appropriate, please sticky this. My apologies if I am just not finding it correctly.

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Will a 2014 Cruze full size wheel work on a Gen2 Volt.
I have a CTS spare for my old Gen1 Volt and a spare steel wheel for Gen1 volt.
I guess I will have to sell them.
Please read post #1 in this thread for wheel specs and your answer.

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 2016 and I am confused. It is stated The 2016 bolt pattern is 5x105xm12, rim size is 17x7 Offset is 41 mm, center bore is 56.6. So any wheel for a 2016+ needs to fit these dimensions, whether spare tire or not. It is then stated For a spare, the 2011-2015 Chevy Cruze Spare kit will work Compact Spare Tire T115/70R16. If the original wheel has a 17 inch diameter how does the Chevy Cruz spare tire wheel with a 16 diameter clear the calipers either in the front or rear axle or am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I have a 2016 and I am confused. It is stated The 2016 bolt pattern is 5x105xm12, rim size is 17x7 Offset is 41 mm, center bore is 56.6. So any wheel for a 2016+ needs to fit these dimensions, whether spare tire or not. It is then stated For a spare, the 2011-2015 Chevy Cruze Spare kit will work Compact Spare Tire T115/70R16. If the original wheel has a 17 inch diameter how does the Chevy Cruz spare tire wheel with a 16 diameter clear the calipers either in the front or rear axle or am I missing something?
I have the Volt Spare Tire Kit from GM. It is a 16 inch rim and it fits. My 2011 Malibu also came with an included compact spare. The spare was a 16 and the original rims are 17.

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
If the original wheel has a 17 inch diameter how does the Chevy Cruz spare tire wheel with a 16 diameter clear the calipers either in the front or rear axle or am I missing something?
The 17" wheel size is for the standard wheels and tires for 2016+ Volt and Bolt 2017.

Some 16" emergency spares can fit as long as they clear the calipers. You would not normally use 16" wheels for regular driving, though at least one member is doing that for his snow tires (?) as I recall. He had some 16" wheels from another GM car that otherwise fit the specs and mounted tires on them. The final diameter is close to the OEM 17" wheels/tire.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The 17" wheel size is for the standard wheels and tires for 2016+ Volt and Bolt 2017.

Some 16" emergency spares can fit as long as they clear the calipers. You would not normally use 16" wheels for regular driving, though at least one member is doing that for his snow tires (?) as I recall. He had some 16" wheels from another GM car that otherwise fit the specs and mounted tires on them. The final diameter is close to the OEM 17" wheels/tire.
I use mine for normal driving.
I have two gen 1 Volts, one of them has Eldorado wheels that need a 1/8" spacer to keep the front calipers from scraping the wheel web. There is plenty of clearance for the stick on weights on the rim of the wheel .
The other one is outfitted with Deville wheels and they clear the calipers with plenty of space.
Both are fitted with 225-60-16 tires and there is good clearance body wise.
I had just put new tires on my Cadillacs and didn't want to wast them.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Just a heads up. I purchased a jack for a 2012 Cruze based on information gathered from this thread. Probably should have asked the seller for photos of the critical mating area. My bad. Anyway, be sure to check that since apparently not all 2012 Cruze jacks are compatible with the Gen 1 Volt.

Update 2/19/2018 - The 1.5 Ton Scissor Jack from Harbor Freight works well. At $21.99 minus the 20% off coupon it is a bargain. Also worth mentioning is the 17” aluminum temporary spare from a first gen Caddy DTS/CTS is a good fit for the Gen 1 Volt. It is only about a half inch smaller in diameter than the OEM Goodyear Assurance tires. Total investment is just under $100 bucks. (Not counting the purchase of the 2012 Cruze jack).

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I use mine for normal driving.
I have two gen 1 Volts, one of them has Eldorado wheels that need a 1/8" spacer to keep the front calipers from scraping the wheel web. There is plenty of clearance for the stick on weights on the rim of the wheel .
The other one is outfitted with Deville wheels and they clear the calipers with plenty of space.
Both are fitted with 225-60-16 tires and there is good clearance body wise.
I had just put new tires on my Cadillacs and didn't want to wast them.
What is your range with 16” tires VRS the original 17”?

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·

Probably should have asked the seller for photos of the critical mating area. My bad. Anyway, be sure to check that since apparently not all 2012 Cruze jacks are compatible with the Gen 1 Volt.
If you cut that hump out of the middle of the head so there is an open slot all the way across it would likely work for the Volt if that valley is deep enough.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you cut that hump out of the middle of the head so there is an open slot all the way across it would likely work for the Volt if that valley is deep enough.
I did think of that. May end up doing that anyway since the HF jack is not nearly as stout. I realized that while test lifting the car to test fit the spare. That Caddy spare is perfect though!

Edit: If I end up cutting a slot in this I will post a pic.

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
I did think of that. May end up doing that anyway since the HF jack is not nearly as stout. I realized that while test lifting the car to test fit the spare. That Caddy spare is perfect though!
Yes, I tried out the HF jack. It felt wobbly compared to the ones that come from GM. And the crank seemed to bind. I returned it and went to the local auto-salvage yard. $10 later, I had a "like new" jack.

·
Registered
174 Posts
There is nothing noticeable, of course the weather has changed for winter and wouldn't be able to tell anyhow.
The diameter of the tires is slightly larger so the range would show less miles than I travel. The car has no way to sense that it is traveling farther per wheel rotation than the stock wheels.

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
The body to jack interface is different in 2018 and requires a different jack then the 2017.
See attached owners manual illustrations from 2017 and 2018 owner's manuals.

Volt scissors jack 2017 vs. 2018.jpg

121 - 140 of 202 Posts