GM Volt Forum banner

81 - 100 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think we are seeing more blowouts from these type OEM tires for a couple reasons.
The sidewalls aren't as robust as a standard tire.
The other significant thing is the way the sidewall flexes compared to a standard tire.
When the car is parked, there is less than a fingers width between the start of the sidewall and the pavement due to the way the sidewall bulges. Higher pressure doesn't change it much. I'll bet that in motion the sidewall is almost riding the road over bumps.
Feel the side of the tire where it meets the pavement and you'll see what I mean.
Personally, I think they could have been designed so that the sidewall flex occurs further up the sidewall like most other tires.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You should be able to buy a new, mounted spare tire like the one I got from a junkyard.

It came from a 2007 Cadillac DTS and can be used in any position on the Volt.
Hi CSS28,

I just purchased a 2007 Cadillac DTS 17x4 spare but came without the tire, would you be able to get the tire size on your spare for me?

·
Registered
247 Posts
This is a great thread, terrific resource!

Any recommendations on a good third party jack? Or the right keywords for an ebay/amazon search for such a thing?

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
This is a great thread, terrific resource!

Any recommendations on a good third party jack? Or the right keywords for an ebay/amazon search for such a thing?
chevy cruze scissor jack? You'd save money visiting a local auto salvage yard where they typically have a crate of scissor's jacks to sort through and sell for about $10. Just don't get one from Harbor Freight, those really are junk, I tried one and returned it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What Types of Flats Occur?
25% are blow-outs; sudden loss of pressure with dramatic damage to the tire.
25% slow leaks that happen when driving; often result in a ruined tire from driving on it.
50% discovered when the car is parked; inconvenient but not normally ruinous.

That 25% blow-out statistic is REALLY hard to believe. I've been driving for 30 years and every flat or leak I've had (bar one) has been a nail or something. The one exception was a defective tire on my 2011 Volt that Goodyear replaced under warranty (the tire sidewall started fraying/shearing right at the wheel bead). And I've never heard of any of my friends report blowouts - they are largely a thing of the past (think - when tires still had inner tubes).
Well, I have had 2 blow out of the 5 flats I can think of in my 32 years of driving. Sidewall had a slight bulge that I did not see as it was on the inside of the tire and I have no clue on the 2nd. So I guess I am making up for you. Both happened in the last 15 years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What are the options for donut spare, lug wrench, jack etc for a 2016 Volt? I searched, but couldn't find an equivalent list for this year. Thanks !

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
My choice for spare tire solution is a full-size extra wheel and tire in the garage. If I get a slow leak the tire monitor will highlight it, and I'll use the compressor (without the goop, since it costs $50-70 to replace the goop canister) to get the car home.

Then I fix the puncture with a cheap $5 plug. Those plugs work GREAT as a permanent solution - probably 90% of the plugs I've installed over the last 30 years have never leaked ever.
My intention for our 2016 Volt is to have a full-size wheel for a spare. I bought a wheel (stock LTZ stye) from a local forum member. Will buy a Michelin stock tire from tirerack and have them mounted at a shop. The local tire shop thought I didn't need a TPMS in the tire since it was only for a spare. Does this sound like a good strategy? I don't want to mess around with another sensor and a relearning tool.

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
What are the options for donut spare, lug wrench, jack etc for a 2016 Volt? I searched, but couldn't find an equivalent list for this year. Thanks !
You'd need one that matches the 2016 lug pattern, center bore and offset specs listed in this FAQ. Or, you can buy the spare tire kit that Chevy sells for the 2016 Volt.

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Great thread. I'm looking for a kit I can take when we travel.

I just posted a 2008-2014 CTS spare tire/wheel/jack kit for sale on craigslist this week.
It appears my 2012 Volt would need the CTS spare from an earlier model (03-07) based on this thread. I'll measure it when I get home tonight.

Too bad as this is a nice kit and I already have it :(

The 2016 kit posted above is nice. No such animal for the Gen 1 cars?

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I just posted a 2008-2014 CTS spare tire/wheel/jack kit for sale on craigslist this week.
It appears my 2012 Volt would need the CTS spare from an earlier model (03-07) based on this thread. I'll measure it when I get home tonight.

Too bad as this is a nice kit and I already have it :(

The 2016 kit posted above is nice. No such animal for the Gen 1 cars?
So the specs match except its a smaller diameter?
My spare steely is strictly for limp mode so I'm not at the mercy of a tow truck driver.
No, there isn't a kit like the Gen 2 for the Gen 1.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
2016 Spare Tire Kit(s)

There are two part numbers:

84034699 - $502
23315255 - $330
From user reports, they are the same kit. Click Image #4 for the Install Instructions.

View attachment 94610 View attachment 94618 View attachment 94626 View attachment 94634
Install Instructions:

Reference thread: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?208561-2016-Spare-Tire-kit-part-number.
Does the kit come with a valve stem? I couldn't tell from the photos. I already have the stock LTZ wheel and Michelin tire. All I need is the valve stem and someone to put everything together.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Does the kit come with a valve stem? I couldn't tell from the photos. I already have the stock LTZ wheel and Michelin tire. All I need is the valve stem and someone to put everything together.
Your local tire shop should be able to assemble and provide a valve stem

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
You didn't look at the PDF install guide I take it. It lists the kit contents. Yes, valve stem is included among other things. You can also see it in a bag in some of the photos, as it has somewhat of a thick Eiffel Tower profile.

·
Registered
86 Posts
In Canada, according to my dealer, it seems that GM "can" not sell this kit.

Any thoughts? Could it be the tire doesn't meet Canadian standards?

Surely I could get everything set up properly when I'm in the US

·
Registered
156 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Could you post a picture of the assembled tire and cover on the car. I'd like to see how much room it takes up. I might try and use my $200 of coupon to get it.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I ended up buying a spare tire from a 2006 Buick Lacrosse a few weeks ago and finally got around to test fitting it.
It was a 16" steel rim, and it came with the jack and lug wrench. I tried it out on the front as a worst case, and it just barely clears the calipers.
Conveniently the jack and lug wrench fit in some of the compartments under the trunk floor. I have a patch kit, so the spare tire will probably stay in the garage unless I go on a long trip.

·
Super Moderator
6,380 Posts
I bought a cruze spare tire kit (tire, jack, etc) off ebay for our 2016. The jack had a place for the indentation to go on the car. There is an indentation on my 2011 car body but not on our 2016 car body.

The 2016 manual also shows an indentation.

The 2016 body

I ended up swapping jacks and wheel lug wrench (with built in slot for rod to connect to jack) with my 2011s.

I found this 1/2 priced lug wrench on Amazon (Prime) so wanted to share it.

http://www.amazon.com/Cartman-Telescoping-Lug-Wrench-Wheel/dp/B00RF95TDC

81 - 100 of 202 Posts