GM Volt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
something is making noise from the front right corner under the hood and getting louder, it sounds a lot like a vacuum cleaner and is about that loud. I can't locate it, but it is on when the car is running and will stay on when you park the car and exit, until the lights go off when the car auto locks or you lock it with the remote. I figured it might have come up before but couldn't turn anything up. It's a bit vague, but that's about the best description I can come up with. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
something is making noise from the front right corner under the hood and getting louder, it sounds a lot like a vacuum cleaner and is about that loud. I can't locate it, but it is on when the car is running and will stay on when you park the car and exit, until the lights go off when the car auto locks or you lock it with the remote. I figured it might have come up before but couldn't turn anything up. It's a bit vague, but that's about the best description I can come up with. Any ideas?
It really helps other forum members to understand your issue when you provide information such as the model year/ model of your Volt (I realize you posted in a Gen 1 Volt forum but that does not provide enough information), your location, mileage on the vehicle, how long you have owned the Volt.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Engine mode? Are your idle RPMs steady? Sounds like a vacuum leak. Look for unplugged hoses. Like PVC, brake vacuum, fuel vacuum hoses, etc. Any codes?

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
Pedestrian alert? Year and other details would be helpful when someone posts a problem.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Pedestrian alert? Year and other details would be helpful when someone posts a problem.
We think it could be a Volt but then again it could be a 1960 VW Beetle.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It really helps other forum members to understand your issue when you provide information such as the model year/ model of your Volt (I realize you posted in a Gen 1 Volt forum but that does not provide enough information), your location, mileage on the vehicle, how long you have owned the Volt.
We think it could be a Volt but then again it could be a 1960 VW Beetle.
I can already see how this is going to go, so lets have some fun.
Which exact mechanical differences exist between a 2011 and a 2015, and every year in between, gen 1 volt would make the slightest difference to the diagnosis of this? The larger battery? Right. The change in stereo? That must be it.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Yes, but I hardly see the point.
Ok, so now we know you have a Gen 1 Volt, year TBD and that you live in CO. What is the history of the vehicle, i.e. mileage, any major repairs? Knowing the model year could help determine the problem.

Some of the readers of this forum are certified Volt technicians. With any other vehicle, would you expect a technician to be able diagnose a problem with your vehicle without knowing anything more about the vehicle than, i.e. it's a Chevy Cruze and it is making a strange noise under the right side of the hood?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Yes, but I hardly see the point.
You vacuum cleaner might not sound like my vacuum cleaner. When you aren't there every little bit of information helps. When I was fixing computers and a customer would phone me up and I would ask "What's wrong with it?" the most I could get was "It doesn't work." Even then I could rarely get enough information and had to be there to touch, see, hear to get to the problem (always did). So out with it. :p:).

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
I can already see how this is going to go, so lets have some fun.
Which exact mechanical differences exist between a 2011 and a 2015, and every year in between, gen 1 volt would make the slightest difference to the diagnosis of this? The larger battery? Right. The change in stereo? That must be it.
Thread closed.

When you decide to help us help you instead of being an...obstacle, stop back and start over. My patience for people who fail to provide basic details like car year, mileage and the like is worn thin, especially after you were asked several times.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.