GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volt Auto Pro is a place that specialize in fixing electric cars including my 2012 Chevrolet Volt. My car needed a new 12-Volt Battery from freezing up when not plugged in every night and a new Charge Port that both stopped working after 10 years of driving over 160,000 km. Those 2 parts are currently being shipped from Toronto, Ontario and arriving in 3 to 5 days. The mechanic also gave my car an Oil Change and new Wipers. The total cost including labor and taxes will be $910 and change. If I had brought it to a Dealership, where I normally did before, they would fix other things they feel SHOULD be fixed and charge far more than usual. If the car needs other repairs in the future, I plan to go back to Volt Auto Pro and get them to fix it.

·
Administrator
21,485 Posts
Thanks, good info for others in your area, Ed O.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
886 Posts
I think you would have saved money going to the dealership.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I understand why the battery froze as it's been REALLY cold out there lately.

·
Administrator
21,485 Posts
I think you would have saved money going to the dealership.
Maybe, or not. 12V battery ~$200, new charge port ~$200, wipers ~$30, oil ~$10. Maybe $440 parts plus labor. Did they markup the parts like some dealers do? Might be a push.

Of course the battery, charge port and wipers can be DIY as well. So can an oil change. But I hate working on cars in cold weather...

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Maybe, or not. 12V battery ~$200, new charge port ~$200, wipers ~$30, oil ~$10. Maybe $440 parts plus labor. Did they markup the parts like some dealers do? Might be a push.

Of course the battery, charge port and wipers can be DIY as well. So can an oil change. But I hate working on cars in cold weather...
And that's with US prices. Canadian parts are more expensive here than south of the border.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I'm not a mechanic, I'd rather have a professional do it and I've paid for repairs on the car at a dealership that they did not really have to fix at that time. Apparently having an oil change and new wipers put on is not enough money for them ( In Ontario, Canada at the dealership service center I paid around $150 for an oil change and $45 for 2 wipers, plus 13% tax ) so they find other things on the car that needs fixing, so they say. By the time the car is finished, I'm paying over $2000 to get it fixed. Plus it's way too cold for my liking to be out here in Edmonton changing oil and figuring out how to replace the wipers. A friend of mine that is a mechanic in Ontario told me those repairs did not need to be fixed at that time.

·
Administrator
21,485 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Hint: do your oil change in the summer. The engine isn't used that much. At the 2 year mark the oil life "times" out, even if the engine has hardly been used. When the oil life meter reaches near 0% you can reset it by holding in the "select button" when you are on the oil life display. That's what I did for an extra year till I got around to making my double plank ramp for the extra weight of the car. People worry about the age of the oil too much. There isn't going to much aging of it if the engine isn't used that much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I understand why the battery froze as it's been REALLY cold out there lately.
That 12 volt battery was also the original battery when the car was purchased in October 2011
It lasted 10 years in Ontario's winters that do not get as cold as here in Edmonton. Plus the Charge Port was also not working that would usually keep that battery warm when plugged in. The car is now back and all fixed, my new problem I have is that our landlord has been having problems with his electricity upstairs and seems to think it's from having my car plugged in. His home is old and not updated with better and stronger voltage. I have to plug the car in somewhere else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts