GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

I was driving in the NJ turnpike today and as cars started swerving what looked like a number of 2x4s were on the road... anyways, at about 60mph I went over one. Surprisingly enough, I did not pop a tire, but hit something under my car. I made it home without much trouble and didn’t think twice of it (Sh1+ happens). Anyways, as I went out to get a pizza for the family, my car gave me the “Volt Service High Voltage Charging System” error, and the check engine light turned on. I am unsure if these events are correlated, but sure as heck serendipitous...

Anyways, here are my questions: is there a way to check the battery level for a mechanically challenged individual like me? If so, any of you could point me to the gauge?
I have not seen a puddle of fluid anywhere (I could have lost it while driving), but I am assuming the hit could have punctured something that leaked out the liquid; if that is the case, is it safe to drive the car as is? Or should I have it towed?
I assume I won’t be able to have this covered under the voltec warranty, will I?
Last but not least, any idea on how much I should expect to pay for something like this?

Thanks as always!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Open the hood, there should be two tanks right there up front. As you are looking at them from the front, the one on YOUR left will be the battery coolant, is that empty? the one on the right is for other various electronics like the inverter. There is also another tank further to your left above the passenger tire is for the engine coolant. The one most likely to give that message is the battery coolant. But, are any of those tanks empty or very low?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
hitting a bump with too low fluid may trigger the battery tank level switch
get the codes from onstar

sent us a picture of the front left tank from the side.

you may more that just a code reset by dealer

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. It’s downpouring here now, but as soon as I can I will go out and take a pic of the tank.

Any thoughts on driving the car with the indicator or if the tank is low? What liquid is recommended to put in the reservoir? I could go to an autozone and refill it to see if it got punctured (by refilling and waiting)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Open the hood, there should be two tanks right there up front. As you are looking at them from the front, the one on YOUR left will be the battery coolant, is that empty? the one on the right is for other various electronics like the inverter. There is also another tank further to your left above the passenger tire is for the engine coolant. The one most likely to give that message is the battery coolant. But, are any of those tanks empty or very low?
Tank is basically empty...

Attachments

·
1,027 Posts
Tank is basically empty...
Take a look at the "radiators" at the front. Look at the hoses and look for a leak or dent there, follow the pipes along the passenger side and look for one dented or broken. prepare your wallet. It is probably not going to be a cheap fix.

Look just to the right of the gap from where the battery was here. Not the fuel lines, that run all along the bottom. It's all the way up near the front and the coolant goes into the front of the battery.

The two large "holes" are the coolant lines.

·
Registered
263 Posts
As Tsquare mentioned, I would contact yor insurance company. I would not drive it, have it towed to a dealer, hopefully after insurance says they will cover it. From the looks of that tank, it doesn't look to promising for an inexpensive fix. Anyway, keep us updated.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Out Volt has sprung a leak - battery coolant

Dealer called just now and told me there was a hole in the radiator and it was being covered under the "hybrid warranty" and they would provide a car if we needed one while ours is there.
FWIW: In the past, some folks were able to get battery coolant leaks repaired by GM under warranty as reported by the OP in the thread linked above...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dear all,
What is worst case scenario here? Is going through my insurance really worth it? My family's premium increasing can be a lot worse than covering this (once you account for deductible).
Also, any ideas on how to have this covered under the "hybrid warranty" mentioned above? (I am assuming this is the 10-100k battery warranty) - Car is a 2014 with 42k so I am ok here.
Aseras, I appreciate the detailed info, but between the massive rain we have here today, my lack of mechanic inclination, and the pressing situation, I am unsure I can do much more than going to an auto zone, refilling the tank and following a leak...

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Dear all,
What is worst case scenario here? Is going through my insurance really worth it? My family's premium increasing can be a lot worse than covering this (once you account for deductible).
Also, any ideas on how to have this covered under the "hybrid warranty" mentioned above? (I am assuming this is the 10-100k battery warranty) - Car is a 2014 with 42k so I am ok here.
Aseras, I appreciate the detailed info, but between the massive rain we have here today, my lack of mechanic inclination, and the pressing situation, I am unsure I can do much more than going to an auto zone, refilling the tank and following a leak...
If you use any other coolant than GM Premix Dex-Cool (specifically pre-mixed with de-ionized water) you will cause further damage to your Volt. Consult your owner's manual. The only coolant that is safe to use in the Volt is GM Part # 12378390. Your dealer should have this in stock or can order.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
If you use any other coolant than GM Premix Dex-Cool (specifically pre-mixed with de-ionized water) you will cause further damage to your Volt. Consult your owner's manual. The only coolant that is safe to use in the Volt is GM Part # 12378390. Your dealer should have this in stock or can order.

As jcanoe pointed out, refilling lost battery coolant and not using the correct premix pictured above could be about the worst thing to do...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Your best bet would be to get it to a dealer and have them give you an estimate. Depending on the cost and your situation, then you can decide to get insurance involved. If the damage was caused by the 2X4 you ran over, I really doubt GM will cover that under any kind of warranty.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I cannot say I am overly optimistic, but I appreciate the help.

Any thoughts on whether I can engage my insurance after the fact? Or what is the best way to go about this (considering the moving parts at this point)? I am intending on contacting GM roadside assistance on Monday am, and have the car towed. At that point, the dealer can evaluate.

·
1,027 Posts
Take it in for an estimate. As usual with GM, play dumb. If they call and say it's some kind of road hazard damage, call your insurance or ask the dealer if they can contact them for you and arrange the repair.

There's a funny old post here about someone with a charging error who went in for service on their volt and it turns out a possum got up under the hood and ate all the HV wiring and got cooked. Insurance took care of it, and it was not cheap.
https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?264977-WOW-EXPENSIVE-RODENT

It happens and it should be comprehensive, but again, be careful what you say. If you saw the debris ON the road your insurance will consider it a collision sometimes.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts

As jcanoe pointed out, refilling lost battery coolant and not using the correct premix pictured above could be about the worst thing to do...
I just ordered a gallon of this Dex-Cool premix on ~zon. Paid $25 for 1 gallon with free shipping (not Prime shipping.) I don't know when I will need to top up my Volt's coolant reservoirs but when I do I won't have to search for the correct coolant.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I just ordered a gallon of this Dex-Cool premix on ~zon. Paid $25 for 1 gallon with free shipping (not Prime shipping.) I don't know when I will need to top up my Volt's coolant reservoirs but when I do I won't have to search for the correct coolant.
I bought some a month ago from nearest Volt dealer, it was supposed to be $20 Cdn but when the learned how far I had driven (I didn't tell them I was there for monthly car club meeting) they reduced it to $14 Cdn. Local Chevy dealer isn't a Volt dealer yet but with new owners they say they are getting Volt/Bolt certified.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Autozone might have Prestone, GM-approved pre-mix Dex-Cool in-stock. $19. I know my local O'Reilly's has it.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Autozone might have Prestone, GM-approved pre-mix Dex-Cool in-stock. $19. I know my local O'Reilly's has it.
There are different specification Dex-Cool products. Only Dex-Cool premix made with de-ionized water is safe for GM hybrid/EV vehicles. Only use only genuine GM/Delco Dex-Cool Premix Part #12378390 in your Volt's cooling system (use in all three overflow tanks/cooling system loops.)

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
There are different specification Dex-Cool products. Only Dex-Cool premix made with de-ionized water is safe for GM hybrid/EV vehicles. Only use only genuine GM/Delco Dex-Cool Premix Part #12378390 in your Volt's cooling system (use in all three overflow tanks/cooling system loops.)
Also be aware, the part numbers in Canada are different.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts