1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Read Only
0 Posts
At the beginning of the year I looked into buying a Bolt. Chevy didn't seem too interested in selling me one. Inventory was almost non-existent despite the fact I have numerous Chevy dealers available (I live in the Denver metro area). Dealers didn't seem interested in making any deals on the few that were in inventory. This appears to be reinforced by the article where Chevy states they're shifting production to overseas markets.

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Which is mainly one place South Korea where most of the Bolt is from (54% there and 26% USA). They are not serious about markets with an 's' it does not seem. Ref: https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?324713-Monroney-sticker-Part-Content-Info-for-low-mid-EVs
It's not that they don't want to sell them here but they offer WAY more incentives there. That's why they send more over there.

https://www.wardsauto.com/miscellaneous/generous-subsidies-generate-ev-appeal-south-korea
https://electrek.co/2017/07/19/tesla-south-koreas-ev-incentive/

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At the beginning of the year I looked into buying a Bolt. Chevy didn't seem too interested in selling me one. Inventory was almost non-existent despite the fact I have numerous Chevy dealers available (I live in the Denver metro area). Dealers didn't seem interested in making any deals on the few that were in inventory. This appears to be reinforced by the article where Chevy states they're shifting production to overseas markets.
Exactly what I've found here, Chevy dealers just aren't interested in selling them. Recently I searched just out of curiosity, and of all the Chevy dealers in Louisiana, only ONE had a Bolt in stock. That was 1 dealer in the NO area. Pathetic. And Volts are quite rare as well.

Fun fact: when looking for charging stations using PlugShare or ChargePoint, you will find stations at ALL the Nissan dealers, ALL the BMW dealers, and NONE at the Chevy dealers. That says a lot.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It is readily obvious that GM has done a lousy job merchandising the Volt and Bolt. I don't recall seeing a Volt commercial, and the EV "Jetsons" clip that VW is forced to run is the only thing I have seen with a Bolt. Toyota managed to get the Prius into many TV series, etc. The only Volt I have seen on TV was one that appeared to be the personal car of Dan Short on Fantom Works - and there was a gen 1 Volt in a LA police chase on UTube . . .

I just ran a quick search on Cars.com to check inventory. Out of 9332 Chevrolets, there were 21 Bolts and 72 Volts in dealer stock within a 100 mile radius of the Twin Cities, so the dealers up here are stocking a token few. The 3912 Silverados in stock shows you their profit center.

But I wonder . . . Could it just be possible that the 83,000 Teslas delivered in the last quarter have had some effect on EV sales by competitors?

Makes you wonder what the numbers would be if GM actually tried to sell them.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've tried to read what I can find about the VOLT or the BOLT. And I have to say, I don't get it.
GM put a lot of research and cost into the VOLT, and it sort of slopped over when they designed the BOLT.
But honestly, NO COMMERCIALS! ! The only VOLT I saw in a commercial, was in a commercial selling trucks. And they were bragging on the trucks and hybreds, and only a moments shot of the VOLT, no introduction, no talk, just a flash and move on.

When I bought my VOLT, the sales man knew nothing about the systems, only the standard things you would have to know about any car you are selling. He wasn't advised or trained to sell a VOLT.

I then thought, well GM must be selling them for the envrionment points, so they can sell more polluting trucks. But that doesn't seem to work either, again, they aren't trying to sell them. Most that I have talked to either learned about the VOLT here on the board, or they searched them out on the internet. No commercials, no advertisements, nothing.! ! !

I also do not believe that GM is listening to the VOLT or BOLT owners when they complain or make suggestions. I believe there have been plenty of comments, especially about that fifth seat in the rear, and GM actually started calling it a fifth seat when the Gen 2 came out. It was tongue in cheek comments but they knew it was horse radish! !

Having to wait for parts at the dealers may be an indication as well. I have to step back and say well, they don't see enough of VOLTS to have a large inventory. So we wait for parts to be pulled off line at the factory? If this is so, then we VOLT owners may have a time when we need to make some serious decisions because after the gen 2 VOLT is out of production, where are those parts going to come from, overseas???

GM just has not treated such a highly technical project like the Bolt or the VOLT with the interest that they do the other hybreds. You have to ask yourself why?? The VOLT is superior in my opinion, though I'd like to see a lot less computer control and a bit more user control. But the VOLT is a shining star of technology. What am I missing? Is it just not the VOLTS time?? Is it too soon for electrics to run the streets or is GM blind sighted with their business and the Electrics are being pushed aside...

Cadillacs version, was that the ELR, was a Gen 1 version. I don't recall a commercial for that one either, and I understand that one is now gone, out of production, out of mind.

My VOLT is one of the better cars I have ever owned, it rides great, has a great sound system, decent battery range and great gas range. It looks ok, lol, even with its areodynamic body styling. So it is tough to sit back and wonder, what is the problem here. But it just seems something does not feel right, but just can't put the finger on it.
Just a feeling.......................................

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Having to wait for parts at the dealers may be an indication as well. I have to step back and say well, they don't see enough of VOLTS to have a large inventory. So we wait for parts to be pulled off line at the factory? If this is so, then we VOLT owners may have a time when we need to make some serious decisions because after the gen 2 VOLT is out of production, where are those parts going to come from, overseas???
This is a concern of mine and something I did not consider before purchasing my Volt. I realize manufacturers are required to keep a certain amount of parts available for a certain period of time after a vehicle ceases production. But that doesn't mean availability won't take longer than normal. In addition I keep hearing about "Our Volt technician" which isn't confidence inspiring. While I'm sure they're well trained on the Volt having a single individual who can work on them can result in extended service times. Thankfully I have a number of Chevy dealers available but it would be more comforting if more people were available to work on them.

All that said I'm very pleased with my Volt. I was initially concerned about the quality of the car. While I've only had it for a few months I'm pleased with the fit and finish and hope it is a trouble free experience.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Volt and Bolt has pros and cons. Good thing is they are both reasonably priced for what is offered now.

Met a friend yesterday who has a model X (for a lot of money). Sure Tesla does somethings really good but the weather seals on the doors were dangling, window regulator was making really bad noise etc. Service visits are a regular routine in his life now. The car is couple months old. At least GM solved most of such problems long time ago.

On the flip side GM is one of the next quarter company. CEO is homegrown with the same mentality. Keep the company not worse than before, a little growth maybe and stock price will be ok. Everyone on the top gets paid, why risk? Management is poor. They spent so much resources to develop a state of the art power train and now they are hardly selling it.

Both cars are designed with the company in mind, not the user. As long as they meet the regulations and have so so customer satisfaction they are ok. Take the tires, they have LRR tires which I can tell you doesn't hold on the road. But they give a tad better efficiency that they can show to the government to average down fleet mpg numbers. FYI Teslas always come with regular tires (performance or grand touring). That tells a lot.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I rarely see Volts and I've only seen one Bolt on the road, but Teslas are popping up like weeds around here. Two 3s just showed up in my neighborhood.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These are the only Volt commercials I ever remember seeing on TV. Volt bathroom break part 1:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Volt bathroom break part 2:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And to my knowledge, the one and only ELR commercial:

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
<snip>

My VOLT is one of the better cars I have ever owned, it rides great, has a great sound system, decent battery range and great gas range. It looks ok, lol, even with its areodynamic body styling. So it is tough to sit back and wonder, what is the problem here. But it just seems something does not feel right, but just can't put the finger on it.
Just a feeling.......................................
Let me help you put your finger on it...$$$$. GM makes many more bucks with each Silverado it sells. Dealers are happy to sell and service those Silverados. Pushing the buying public into PHEVs and BEVs makes for a paradigm shift for GM and its dealers. Yeah, GM is ready to protect itself with the excellent Voltec design that it can easily put into future car designs... WHEN the market demand has been created by OTHER manufacturers who are willing and able to suffer the costs (lower profits)! Meanwhile, the fat Christmas bonuses keep getting paid. This strategy is a win for GM but not so much for the electric car enthusiasts. That's one cynic's view of it.:p

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
So is GM still losing money on Volts and/or Bolts. If they are that would explain everything. Seriously, I wonder what the profit margins (or losses) are.
I recently read the profit margin on pickup trucks is like $17000. So they can knock $10K off the price and still make a load of money.
On a cash flow basis, would guess that Volt/Bolt are not big losers. As far as marketing, would it add appreciably to the sales of a cult vehicle? I can't recall seeing a Corvette ad, for example. The people that want them, get them whether they are advertised or not.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Don't forget about Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) and Partial Zero Emission Vehicle (PZEV) credits. California represents 30% of the new vehicle market in the US. Auto manufacturers have to be aligned with their largest market for vehicles. California's Air Resources Board (CARB) requires auto manufacturers that sell more than a small number of vehicles in the state to earn ZEV and/or PZEV credits so they can continue to sell their higher margin conventional vehicles. For the present, manufacturers than earn a surplus of ZEV/PZEV credits can sell these to other manufacturers. Tesla and GM have both sold some of their excess ZEV/PZEV credits to generate revenue for their bottom line.

You have to eat all your vegetables before you can have dessert. In this case the vegetables are EVs and Plug-In Hybrid Vehicles, also hydrogen fuel cell vehicles (FCV). Dessert includes SUVs and light duty trucks. Yum! The Bolt earns ZEV credits for GM while the Volt earns PZEV credits (still good but not as valuable as ZEV credits.) Over the next 5 years PZEV credits will become much less valuable while ZEV credits will continue to be important to car manufacturers. You can see where this will lead; manufacturers will have less incentive to sell PHEV vehicles such as the Volt and more incentive to sell EVs such as the Bolt. So far Toyota and Honda have largely punted on EVs, instead choosing to offer Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles (FCV), primarily offered in California, to earn those precious ZEV credits so they can continue to sell their traditional lines of cars and trucks. Once you understand what is motivating the auto manufacturers, it becomes clearer to see the way ahead.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
You have to eat all your vegetables before you can have dessert. In this case the vegetables are EVs and Plug-In Hybrid Vehicles, also hydrogen fuel cell vehicles (FCV). Dessert includes SUVs and light duty trucks. Yum! The Bolt earns ZEV credits for GM while the Volt earns PZEV credits (still good but not as valuable as ZEV credits.) Over the next 5 years PZEV credits will become much less valuable while ZEV credits will continue to be important to car manufacturers. You can see where this will lead; manufacturers will have less incentive to sell PHEV vehicles such as the Volt and more incentive to sell EVs such as the Bolt. So far Toyota and Honda have largely punted on EVs, instead choosing to offer Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles (FCV), primarily offered in California, to earn those precious ZEV credits so they can continue to sell their traditional lines of cars and trucks. Once you understand what is motivating the auto manufacturers, it becomes clearer to see the way ahead.
The Volt has always been a bridge vehicle and never had a long term future. As EV charge times decrease and range increases range anxiety will become a thing of the past. When the Volt first made its appearance how many EVs were on the market and what was their range? Compare then to today and there have been big gains in range and thus a corresponding increase in EV offerings. It will be interesting to see where we'll be in another eight years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I rarely see Volts and I've only seen one Bolt on the road, but Teslas are popping up like weeds around here. Two 3s just showed up in my neighborhood.
Man come to Califonia... they are everywhere! Usually I see a minimum of five Volts on my 22mi commute to work and at least two Bolts. A local dealer has 75 Bolts in stock and only 7(?) Volts.

BOLTS:
http://www.chevynorthridge.com/VehicleSearchResults?search=new&year=2019&bodyType=CAR&make=Chevrolet&model=Bolt%20EV

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.