GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I leased my first Volt, #C268, from U.S. Bank, I never felt comfortable about doing any mods on the vehicle for fear that USB would "charge" me for any customizations at lease-end.

Anyhow, from day one, I thought the Volt would look "better" with the fascias and rockers in the same color as the body, like the Ampera, below:

With THAT in mind, as soon as Moran Chevrolet delivered my new '14, #E62665, which I leased, this time around, from Ally Financial, I headed over to Majik Graphics in Clinton Township, to see about doing something with the rocker-panels.

Well, they said they could do something ... at least, they thought they could do the rockers ... the front and rear fascias, maybe not. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, so I scheduled an appointment. For you Metro Detroit Volt owners, Majik is just east of Groesbeck on 15 Mile, in the Whirlyball complex.

I pulled in and The Boyz were ready to go.

Romney and Jimmy are "The Artists" on this project...

...while Cooper the Dog mostly supervises.

It took no time for the guyz to have the right rocker...

...covered, with the trimming of the vinyl next.

Romney and Jimmy both thought the bumpers presented too many challenging surface issues/changes/curves/etc. for the vinyl to stick properly, tho they did think that maybe they could do the rear fascia.

Plasti-Dip was discussed as another possible way to go. On this forum, dadazan has used Plasti-Dip with success, so maybe we'll try that:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?114962-Here-s-my-Volt

Another solution to arrive at "black" fascias, as soundmike has nicely shown us, is a liberal application of Mother's Back-To-Black:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?115329-Vinyl-work...

I will try that next and, then, maybe the Plasti-Dip.

Anyhow, back to vinyl wrap, Majik keeps a large assortment of vinyls on-hand and can get practically any color you want, so I'm confident that they could match or come close to any of the Volt colors out there for those who want to try this mod/method, also.

I'm going to have them do the emblems, next. Romney said he definitely could not do the grill in vinyl ... too many ridges, etc., so Plasti-Dip for that, maybe.

Doing both rockers took the guyz about 20 minutes, and cost $95 out-the-door. I was "in-n-out" and couldn't be happier!

Cooper was busy and didn't bother to get up as I left...

#E62665 BEFORE...

#E62665 AFTER. (Note: the application appears darker "in person" than this pic indicates.)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
That looks much nicer to me. I wish Chevy would get rid of the charcoal plastic look, looks really cheap to me.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cujo ... I was going to include your link and forgot <g>, so thanks for supplying that. I think anyone with patience and a minimum of skill could do this themselves without issue. I, on the other hand, not so much...

Anyhow, the fellows doing the work, above, also used a torch (live flame) to soften the vinyl to ease the forming, etc. I think a heat gun would work just as well.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I assume they're affiliated with the replacement window company?

[edit: Never mind--a different misspelling of magic]

·
Registered
827 Posts
Cujo [/B
Anyhow, the fellows doing the work, above, also used a torch (live flame) to soften the vinyl to ease the forming, etc. I think a heat gun would work just as well.

Looks good, RCB! Take a close-up photo, or have the sun reflect off of it -- that'll show it off. :)

p.s. Hair dryer works just as well, that's what i use.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
css28 ... that is a thought? Could be (ha). Anyhow, they also do imprinted t's, etc., in another section of the building, AND they do "paint-less" ding repair, which is handy to know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts