GM Volt Forum banner

Volt replaced a PriusC

5950 29
I just traded my 2013 PriusC for a 2013 Chevy Volt. I have a 65 mile round trip to work and so far used 0 gas. I love it. Can't believe I got a Volt for lower than the cost of a Prius C. The Volt is much roomier and has lots more features than the Prius. I still can't believe the car is not selling better than a Prius or any of the other hybrid/electric cars. I love and plan to keep it for a long time.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
2013 Volt
484 Posts
I just traded my 2013 PriusC for a 2013 Chevy Volt. I have a 65 mile round trip to work and so far used 0 gas. I love it. Can't believe I got a Volt for lower than the cost of a Prius C. The Volt is much roomier and has lots more features than the Prius. I still can't believe the car is not selling better than a Prius or any of the other hybrid/electric cars. I love and plan to keep it for a long time.
I'm glad you did not fall in to the prius plug-in trap. Many of my prius owning pals or their wives chose to upgrade to a Plug-In Prius without really doing their homework. They thought Toyota was the king of green basically. I tried to warn them and told them about the Volt but many just nodded to make me talk about something else...a year later many have told me they wished they had bought a Volt especially after seeing my car's data. The prius plug-in really is a gas guzzler under most driving routines when compared to the Volt. My wife has a 2011 Prius and she wants my Volt after I buy a new car at the end of this year (or sooner).

· Registered
2,006 Posts
I'm glad you did not fall in to the prius plug-in trap. Many of my prius owning pals or their wives chose to upgrade to a Plug-In Prius without really doing their homework. They thought Toyota was the king of green basically. I tried to warn them and told them about the Volt but many just nodded to make me talk about something else...a year later many have told me they wished they had bought a Volt especially after seeing my car's data. The prius plug-in really is a gas guzzler under most driving routines when compared to the Volt. My wife has a 2011 Prius and she wants my Volt after I buy a new car at the end of this year (or sooner).
Toyota is the king of marketing . They get suckers into believing anything for brand loyalty . I've heard many a story about the 70 mpg Prius vs. the 30 mpg Volt .

· Registered
13,358 Posts
Welcome from the dark to the light side. The volt is the best kept automotive secret in the world. You now know first hand what we think of all Prius and PiP owners. Even after nearly 5 years after the volt's introduction, nobody has come close to surpassing the volt's specs, except for volt g2. Just quietly enjoy your 250+ MPG.

· Registered
6,863 Posts
The fun begins when you have to climb a steep hill that lasts a while. Engage Mountain Mode about 10 minutes beforehand, shift to Low, and you will discover that the Volt can take it on without a struggle.
Unless he travels long distances I doubt he'll need MM. He lives in Illinois, they don't call us FLatlanders for nothing - ha ha.

But to the OP welcome aboard. I assume you have charging at work.

· Premium Member
19,942 Posts
Congrats on the car. The Volt is a step up from the regular Prius in every department except for interior space. Coming from a PriusC it's a step up in every way. :D

However, the Prius has been a super reliable car. The Volt has been solid, and all cars have gotten closer in their reliability, but you still have to give Toyota credit for turning out super reliable vehicles. One good thing about Volt 1.0 is that it's built like a tank.

· Registered
1,392 Posts
The only thing "green" about Toyota are the American dollars flowing toward Japan.
Before you bash Toyota abut sending money out of the country. Perhaps you should talk to the auto workers at the Georgetown KY plant of Toyota. Foreign auto manufacturers have a strong presence in the US and a lot of people depend on them for their salary. Also remember, GM had a chance with the EV1 and we know what happened to that EV. I had an opportunity to drive one and it was a very exciting experience. I plan to replace my Prius with a 2016 Volt but I don't think bashing the competition is worth the time, unless you think that is the only way to show the benefits of the Volt.

· Registered
5,194 Posts
Congrats on the car. The Volt is a step up from the regular Prius in every department except for interior space. Coming from a PriusC it's a step up in every way. :D

However, the Prius has been a super reliable car. The Volt has been solid, and all cars have gotten closer in their reliability, but you still have to give Toyota credit for turning out super reliable vehicles. One good thing about Volt 1.0 is that it's built like a tank.
I will have to agree that Toyota does have a better reliability reputation than Chevrolet. And the average Toyota has a higher resale value as well. But the Volt seems to be pretty good so far.

· Registered
4,101 Posts
I plan to replace my Prius with a 2016 Volt but I don't think bashing the competition is worth the time, unless you think that is the only way to show the benefits of the Volt.
I have to agree with you. When comparing a Prius to a Volt, the Volt speaks for itself. 8^D

I owned a 2002 Prius for 8 years and a 2010 Prius for 2 years. I'm on my 4th year with a Volt. I love how it talks to me. 8^)

· Registered
724 Posts
Before you bash Toyota abut sending money out of the country. Perhaps you should talk to the auto workers at the Georgetown KY plant of Toyota. Foreign auto manufacturers have a strong presence in the US and a lot of people depend on them for their salary.
I have talked to a few. I learned that they receive less money than the U.S. based automakers. I learned that those "foreign" plants are mostly funded by tax breaks and incentives from the state. I learned that virtually everything in the plants come from Japan (machines, pallets, masking tape, parts, paint, hoses, office supplies, etc.). My opinion doesn't change because of people who cave in to peer pressure.

· Registered
2,006 Posts
I will have to agree that Toyota does have a better reliability reputation than Chevrolet. And the average Toyota has a higher resale value as well. But the Volt seems to be pretty good so far.
Yes , reputation . however , in reality has there been a significant difference during the past 20 years ? Until now , have you ever owned a 1995 or newer GM product for example ?

I think I know the answer , that's why you have your opinion on reliability . I on the other hand have owned cars from BMW , Buick , Cadillac , Chevrolet , Dodge , Ford , GMC , Honda , Jeep , Nissan , Saturn , Subaru , Toyota , VW and Volvo .

I have come to the conclusion that Toyota is no better than any other make .

· Administrator
23,393 Posts
Why did you buy a Prius C instead of a Volt in the first place? Just curious.

· Registered
36 Posts
Regardless of tech features or specs, driving the Volt is completely different (better) than the Prius. After driving several Prii as Zipcars, I finally drove a Volt...and look what I bought. The Volt is a better car in EVERY way. EVERY way. Especially design. Prius is barf.

· Registered
45 Posts
The "mountainous road" I took my Volt to two weeks ago happened to have a lot of twists and turns (Tail of the Dragon). Heck, I have difficulty naming a mountainous road where twists and turns are not abundant. Therefore, shifting to Low is precisely for more aggressive regenerative braking. By the last run on the Tail of the Dragon, I was able to modulate the accelerator pedal so that I was barely touching the brakes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.