GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an iPhone 5 (running iOS 7.1.2) paired to my 2014 Volt with navigation. Everything works as expected, but several times just after startup, I've had the car spontaneously try to call my own cell phone. The fan slows down, the radio mutes, the screen in the center stack says it's calling me, but my phone itself doesn't actually make a call or appear to be in use at all. This happens right after I've started the car and driven away.

If I push the "hang up" button on the steering wheel, the message goes away, the fan speeds back up, and the radio comes on for maybe 5 seconds, then the whole cycle starts all over again. Very frustrating!

The three things that will force the never-ending loop to stop are: turning off the car, turning off my phone, or switching my phone to Airplane Mode to break the Bluetooth connection. If I switch to Airplane Mode, the Volt will sometimes warn me (on-screen and by voice prompt) that "phone book update failed," so I wonder if the issue has something to do with the contact syncing process.

This had only happened to me three times in about six months, so I didn't care too much, but it's suddenly happened every time I've started the car for the last two days. There was a minor iOS update released Monday, but this was already happening (periodically) before that update and didn't start immediately after it was installed, so I don't think the two are connected.

I restarted my phone, and that seems to have resolved the issue, at least for now. Has anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
263 Posts
That is really weird. That has never happened to me. Is this something that just started happening or has it always done it?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Mine has done it, though not often. Turning the phone off and on stops it. No idea the cause, but you're not alone.

·
Registered
562 Posts
And you're sure it's the car that's initiating the call, and not the phone itself for whatever reason?
Does the phone indicate anything regarding that? (Call made via bluetooth, voice-activated call via siri, whatever)?

Any chance you can try it with a different phone? Tried re-pairing your current phone after removing the other device from both devices's list?

·
4,874 Posts
I have an iPhone 5S and it has never happened to me. Have you tried deleting the phone from your car and repairing it?

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Both onstar-remote-link and the iOS were updated this last week.

I generally do a cold boot after a iOS update also make sure blue-tooth is on and you might re-pair

There have been people with blue-tooth lockup in the past but I though a Volt software update fixed that in the 2011-2012 Volts ?

let hope it is not some text/email message to voice mix up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Samsung S3 user on 2012 Volt here. Mine is paired and doesn't do this at pairing, but when I plug in the USB cord to charge, it automatically starts treating it as a music player or something and starts playing wav files randomly (I dont keep music on my phone, so it seems like it finds the most local sound files and auto-plays). Sounds similar to your issue, i have to hit hang up to make it stop

1 - 12 of 12 Posts