GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 2012 Chevy Volt from the dealer yesterday. It was a GM car and already had 950 miles on it. I charged it up last night and it showed 32 miles in EV range this morning but what I find odd is the range it shows next to the full gas tank is only 167 miles. If the tank is 9.3 gallons shouldn't this be showing more like 300 miles for the range and the combined EV and gas range should be around 332 miles?

If 167 miles is true for the range it would only be getting 17.9 mpg which is a far cry from what the Volt specs say with an estimate of combined city/hwy of 37 mpg.

Does anyone have an answer for the this?

Thanks
Todd

·
Registered
435 Posts
The displayed numbers result from the previous few drive cycles. There are many scenarios that produce low fuel mileage, but I wouldn't be too concerned with it at this point. I'd suggest driving for a few weeks in EV mode as much as possible and watch your battery range climb. Use slow, cautious driving style and you'll be above 40 miles range in no time. Once you get your EV confidence up, drive a few cycles on gas, using the same technique. As you burn gas driving smoothly, you'll see the range start to climb. Learn to drive gently, enjoy the ride and watch the numbers climb.

I'm nearly two years in and still enjoy it! A long trip will kill your lifetime MPG, but it's fun to make it climb again.

Welcome to the club! Enjoy the ride and keep reading and posting!

Volt 63

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Here's a similar story. I bought a 2004 Mazda6 sport wagon with 8000 miles on it in January, 2005. The tires had very good signs of being driven very hard (sidewalls had some pretty good wear on them). Presumably, the car was used for some serious demo driving.

So, in your case - if it isn't too hard to imagine - the car was driven hard during its first few hundred miles and thus the lower estimates. Or, was driven in northern climates during cold weather. Only. The real numbers will occur over the course of your driving. If you fully charge, drive the charge down to completion, run for a while on gasoline - it will learn your own personal driving habits and show estimates based on your driving history.

The estimates are simply "learned experience" and will go up if you baby the car or drive it more during optimal weather that you have in LA.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Congrats on your new car. As explained, the estimate will change as the car learns how you drive. No worries on that score.

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
It seems like this confusion over the range estimator happens again and again and again. Either people don't realize that the estimate is just an estimate (they think it is actual range), or they don't understand that the estimate is based on how the car was previously handled.

I guess it means that people other than first adopters (who have extensively researched the car) are now buying the Volt. And that's a good thing!

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
Can't the dealer reset the guestimator to factory fresh?
Removing the battery will do that as those who had the battery tunnel and coolant upgrade know. So I suspect disconnecting the battery in any way would do the same. Of course then you need to power things up again.

The default estimates would still be low unless you were buying in the middle of winter, in which case people will (and did) complain that the car was losing range.

Regardless, I doubt the dealer wants to eat the cost, especially for something that will self correct over time. It's more about buyer education, letting the buyer know that the estimate is just that and that it will change and self adjust over time based on driving style, driving conditions, and outside temperature.

·
Registered
129 Posts
No fear Todd. The range estimates will increase. I was showing 29 miles electric range when I bought my demo volt with 300 miles on it and somewhere around 170 total range with a full tank. I'm guessing the test drives and sitting with the car on giving demos lowers the mile estimate. For the engine, it took me a good long trip few hundred mile trip to break it in. My last trip to Detroit yielded me 234.8 miles / 5.09 gallons = 46 mpg counting only the ICE miles. Higher if I were to count the 40+ electric miles. 46 mpg were under great conditions, usually I average 41.8 mpg on highway.

Be patient. You are already reaping the benefits. The range estimate just hasn't caught up.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Removing the battery will do that as those who had the battery tunnel and coolant upgrade know. So I suspect disconnecting the battery in any way would do the same. Of course then you need to power things up again.

The default estimates would still be low unless you were buying in the middle of winter, in which case people will (and did) complain that the car was losing range.

Regardless, I doubt the dealer wants to eat the cost, especially for something that will self correct over time. It's more about buyer education, letting the buyer know that the estimate is just that and that it will change and self adjust over time based on driving style, driving conditions, and outside temperature.
No need to remove the battery. I may be a little sleep deprived at the moment but I recall that the dealer is supposed to reset the range/distance guesometer to factory as part of the PDI.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Ignore the nifty battery ICON for a few days, instead use the center LCD display on miles traveled and kWh used. Eventually the Battery ICON will catch up.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Well, someone enjoyed sport mode for that first 950 miles.

Retrain the car - no problems.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Someone, looked like a dealer, was out "test driving a Volt" obviously in Sport mode. I would really call it abuse. He was spinning the wheels and sliding the car. I really didn't think that was possible until I saw it. For some reason, you think of the daisy power of a Prius, not the mean EV of the Volt. Someone just creamed the accelerator is all. As long as they didn't tear up the wheels, or show any damage, enjoy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts