GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the latest in a series of the Volt Quick Tips videos.

This edition of Volt Quick Tips demonstrates how to use protect your EVSE (portable charger) from both theft and weather without the use of a padlock.

Some of my other videos in which you may be interested:

If you enjoy Volt Quick Tips and don't want to miss any future tips, please subscribe to this YouTube channel using one of the two following methods:

a) Subscribe directly by clicking on this link
or
b) By clicking on the "Subscribe" button on the video page on YouTube

·
Registered
160 Posts
Very Nifty! Thanks very much for all the work you put into these - please keep it up!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'd be concerned that closing the trunk on the wires will do damage to the wires over time. Why do you believe that this is a safe practice?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Instead of slamming the hatch down, gently lower it with slight pressure until it clicks once. This secures the latch while doing minimal (or no) damage to the cords.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Good tips, but if I may offer feedback, the videos seem longer than they need to be. This one could have been 3 minutes instead of 5.5 minutes very easily. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd be concerned that closing the trunk on the wires will do damage to the wires over time. Why do you believe that this is a safe practice?
Thanks, Shaft, for watching the video and providing feedback.

As to whether this is a safe practice or not, I'll let the forum members debate this one among themselves.

Having said that, I've had my Volt just over a year now and there has been no damage to my power cords, whatsoever. I don't own a L2 charger, so I use my portable one 99% of the time (100% every night, at home).

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Instead of slamming the hatch down, gently lower it with slight pressure until it clicks once. This secures the latch while doing minimal (or no) damage to the cords.
Yes. Although no damage either way happens to the cords (in my experience), that certainly would work. However, I would close it completely if rain was expected. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great Video and tip... I see this is #50.. where would I find 1-49?

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great Video and tip... I see this is #50.. where would I find 1-49?

Thanks again
You're welcome! :)

As for the other videos, I use a custom numbering sequence to produce uniquely identifiable indices other than the traditional sequential 1, 2, 3, etc. It is just a surrogate identifier.

To see what videos are available (four, as of this writing), go to my YouTube Channel for Volt Quick Tips.

·
Registered
40 Posts
great tip. im going to get me a 12' 12g wire for the car for this reason. Those cords will not be damaged by the hatch. exterior rated cords are really durable, you stepping on one would put more pressure on it than that hatch

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
great tip. im going to get me a 12' 12g wire for the car for this reason. Those cords will not be damaged by the hatch. exterior rated cords are really durable, you stepping on one would put more pressure on it than that hatch
Thanks, MRGM.

Yeah, many owners have no idea about the rubber seal and how it works when closing the Volt hatch.

It's not metal-to-metal. (can you image if it was metal-to-metal?..there would be rattles, scrapes, rust, etc). It also isn't a tight angle, like some car doors, which could eventually wear a power cord from the inside-out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
How do you close itu so gently and have the light in the cargo area go off? I. Have tried many times and the only way I can close thevhatch with the two cords hanging out is to slam it and that has left crimp marks in my cords. is there a way to turn the cargo lit off.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I pretty sure I have read in this forum that the cargo lit turns off automatically after a certain amount of time. Otherwise, remove the light...

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I pretty sure I have read in this forum that the cargo lit turns off automatically after a certain amount of time. Otherwise, remove the light...
In the event that the dome lamps were to remain illuminated for more than 10 minutes with the vehicle ON/OFF switch in the OFF position and no doors opened, the BCM will deactivate the dome lamps control circuit to prevent total battery discharge.

Above taken from pg.1023 of the Volt service manual linked below in my signature. Yes, the Volt is smart enough to shut the light off for you!:D

BTW: Cool videos...I like the leaving the EVSE in your hatchback trick and I might have to start doing that myself!:cool:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know that the dome lights in the front went off right away. However the cargo light did not go off. I did not wait ten minutes. Maybe I will try and see. But I thinking about constructing a weather proof box to put the charging unit in. Parking in a garage is not an option and I do not want to destroy the weather striping which might lead to a future water leak problem that Gm might not cover if it is proven I destroyed the weather striping by closing my hatch with cords hanging out of it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts