GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some will remember, I purchased two brand new 2018 Volt LT's a few months ago, and thanks to the great support of ya'll things have gone swimmingly. I did have a few prior posts and would have continued with them, but oddly they disappeared as did my registration on this website!

Anyway I have reregistered using the exact same username and password etc and now I have some questions, which may be predicated by the fact that I live in Vancouver BC Canada, or may make no difference as compared to US Volts, I do not know:

1. Is some way to have the display show the rear camera when driving forward?
2. Is there some way to random access the radio's tuner instead of having it sequential via the forward / back buttons or at the least speed up how fast it scrolls forward or backward?
3. Is there some way to tune the radio from the steering wheel?
4. Is there a mute control for the radio on the steering wheel and/or on the radio itself?
5. Is there a scan control for the radio on the steering wheel and/or on the radio itself?
6. Can the infotainment display be used to play video / audio and if so how do I do that?
7. One of my Volts provides a short honk when I leave the car and the other does not, what is going on here?
8. Is there some way to control when and how the doors lock when you start to drive (as things are now the doors automatically lock when I start to drive)?
9. As things are now, the doors stay unlocked as long as the keys are in proximity of the car and stay unlocked even when I leave the car. Is there some way to have the doors auto-lock immediately upon leaving the car?
10. Is there some way to ensure I cannot lock the keys in the car?
11. I have not configured my iPhone for use with the car yet, but my iPhone annoyingly keeps prompting me that it will not receive messages etc while I am driving, how do I defeat this?
12. I have read that I have OnStar for ten years now. Is this the case in Canada too, and if so what do I need to do to enable it (I have ignored all OnStar voice prompts and emails so far)?
13. How long does Sirius Radio last before I would have to pay for it?
14. Why does Sirius Radio keep cutting out (very annoying)?
15. Does anyone find Sirius Radio to be worth the cost?
16. Is there some way to turn off that lame spaceship sound when I press the start button (both turning on the car or turning off the car)?
17. Is there some way to have it so that when I enter the car I do not have to put my foot on the brake and then press the start button to get going, but it's simply ready right away, and similarly turns off right away when I exit the car?
18. Is there some way to keep the charge current at 12 amps instead of repeatedly having to reset it to 12 mps from 8 amps?
19. Is there some way to slow down the speed that the power windows open and close and/or otherwise change some of the power windows functionality such as the driver's side doing all the way down with a single press (which can be annoying)?
20. Is there some way to turn off the lame pedestrian warning noise that is constantly present when driving?
21. I loaded Chevy MyLink onto my iPhone, but it asks for some sort of account information, where would I find this information?
22. I have received a ridiculous number of emails from GM, OnStar, Sirius Radio, etc. for my two Volts. In fact far too many for me to waste my time reading and I have unsubscribed to much of it. Am I missing anything and would important account information be in some of these emails for enabling OnStar and/or MyLink etc?
23. Does anyone have posts or videos outlining all their favorite setup procedures for the infotainment system and other functions such as the alarm system and door locks?
24. Is possible to download onto my iPhone, a complete set of individual owners' preferences for the infotainment system and other functions such as the alarm system and door locks, or must I setup each individual function separately for each of my two Volts?
25. I gather I have four freebee oil changes over the first two years of ownership (at least I think that's the case here in Canada). What other servicing freebees have been provided outside of the warranty particulars; tire rotation, tire balancing, etc?
26. Have you used the roadside service features of either OnStar or GM and what has been your experience?
27. Do most people use their iPhone to provide navigation or is there some better way?
28. There was a Wi-Fi sticker on the driver's side windows of my two Volts (I pealed them off). Is this through OnStar or GM and given I have OnStar for ten years (correct?) do I also have Wi-Fi for ten years?
29. I plugged in a USB drive into the USB port below the infotainment unit, and a prompt appeared on the screen, but I could not access the USB drive's contents (mostly MS Word files). What can these two USB port do and no do? Can these USB ports access MOV, MP3's, MP4's, wave, etc?
30. There is a miniature female (stereo I assume) plug adjacent to the two USB ports below the infotainment system. Is this just a stereo audio input or can it also output audio?
31. The paddle regen braking on the steering wheel is rather abrupt. Is there some way to modulate / reprogram the amount of paddle regen braking?
32. The fact that there is no rear window wiper is very annoying in rainy Vancouver. Any suggestions on keeping the rear window clear? I was thinking of using Rain-X.
33. Given that the gasoline in the gas tank can stay in there for months if not years would it be advisable to add Sta-Bil Fuel Stabilizer and/or use Chevron 94 (the only gas in British Columba that has no ethical) (ethanol is not only corrosive but reduces miles per gallon)

·
8,680 Posts
Welcome (back?). There have been a few reports of missing threads that we're still trying to figure out - maybe the result of server changes. I hadn't heard of registerations vanishing.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Um, wow, that is a lot of questions. The answer to 1 is no. Many of the other answers can be discovered by exploring the car's setup menu. I suggest you write down the settings you like so you can make them consistent from car to car, plus you will need them again after some events like software updates that may re-set them. I will leave it to others to address individual questions more precisely.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Same thing happened to me re: disappearing registration. My previous posts are now marked as "guest" as opposed to senior.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
A lot of questions. Re: gas. I wouldn't put stabilizer in gas tank. Tank is pressurized so not needed. Keep 1/3 tank so you are not lugging around a lot of unneeded gas, small additions can prevent car having to burn it off every year if you don't use a lot. Only fill up if going on a longer trip. Re: alcohol in gas, I think it's OK. Co-op gas stations often have up to 10% for 87, up to 5% for 89 and none for 91, they usually have it stated on pumps. Shell 91 often does not have alcohol. I say "often" because it may be station dependant. I'm from Vancouver Island and that's the way it is here so I suspect same over there. I used Rainex on back window as per post on here but so far has just sprinkled so not a good test. Car needs oil change every two years depending on use (usually not a lot).so your 4 free changes for first two years won't do you much good, a dealer special meant for their other ICE cars. Other questions I'll leave to others.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
As some will remember, I purchased two brand new 2018 Volt LT's a few months ago, and thanks to the great support of ya'll things have gone swimmingly. I did have a few prior posts and would have continued with them, but oddly they disappeared as did my registration on this website!

Anyway I have reregistered using the exact same username and password etc and now I have some questions, which may be predicated by the fact that I live in Vancouver BC Canada, or may make no difference as compared to US Volts, I do not know:

1. Is some way to have the display show the rear camera when driving forward?
2. Is there some way to random access the radio's tuner instead of having it sequential via the forward / back buttons or at the least speed up how fast it scrolls forward or backward?
3. Is there some way to tune the radio from the steering wheel?
4. Is there a mute control for the radio on the steering wheel and/or on the radio itself?
5. Is there a scan control for the radio on the steering wheel and/or on the radio itself?
6. Can the infotainment display be used to play video / audio and if so how do I do that?
7. One of my Volts provides a short honk when I leave the car and the other does not, what is going on here?
8. Is there some way to control when and how the doors lock when you start to drive (as things are now the doors automatically lock when I start to drive)?
9. As things are now, the doors stay unlocked as long as the keys are in proximity of the car and stay unlocked even when I leave the car. Is there some way to have the doors auto-lock immediately upon leaving the car?
10. Is there some way to ensure I cannot lock the keys in the car?
11. I have not configured my iPhone for use with the car yet, but my iPhone annoyingly keeps prompting me that it will not receive messages etc while I am driving, how do I defeat this?
12. I have read that I have OnStar for ten years now. Is this the case in Canada too, and if so what do I need to do to enable it (I have ignored all OnStar voice prompts and emails so far)?
16. Is there some way to turn off that lame spaceship sound when I press the start button (both turning on the car or turning off the car)?
17. Is there some way to have it so that when I enter the car I do not have to put my foot on the brake and then press the start button to get going, but it's simply ready right away, and similarly turns off right away when I exit the car?
18. Is there some way to keep the charge current at 12 amps instead of repeatedly having to reset it to 12 mps from 8 amps?
19. Is there some way to slow down the speed that the power windows open and close and/or otherwise change some of the power windows functionality such as the driver's side doing all the way down with a single press (which can be annoying)?
20. Is there some way to turn off the lame pedestrian warning noise that is constantly present when driving?
21. I loaded Chevy MyLink onto my iPhone, but it asks for some sort of account information, where would I find this information?
22. I have received a ridiculous number of emails from GM, OnStar, Sirius Radio, etc. for my two Volts. In fact far too many for me to waste my time reading and I have unsubscribed to much of it. Am I missing anything and would important account information be in some of these emails for enabling OnStar and/or MyLink etc?
23. Does anyone have posts or videos outlining all their favorite setup procedures for the infotainment system and other functions such as the alarm system and door locks?
24. Is possible to download onto my iPhone, a complete set of individual owners' preferences for the infotainment system and other functions such as the alarm system and door locks, or must I setup each individual function separately for each of my two Volts?
25. I gather I have four freebee oil changes over the first two years of ownership (at least I think that's the case here in Canada). What other servicing freebees have been provided outside of the warranty particulars; tire rotation, tire balancing, etc?
26. Have you used the roadside service features of either OnStar or GM and what has been your experience?
27. Do most people use their iPhone to provide navigation or is there some better way?
28. There was a Wi-Fi sticker on the driver's side windows of my two Volts (I pealed them off). Is this through OnStar or GM and given I have OnStar for ten years (correct?) do I also have Wi-Fi for ten years?
29. I plugged in a USB drive into the USB port below the infotainment unit, and a prompt appeared on the screen, but I could not access the USB drive's contents (mostly MS Word files). What can these two USB port do and no do? Can these USB ports access MOV, MP3's, MP4's, wave, etc?
30. There is a miniature female (stereo I assume) plug adjacent to the two USB ports below the infotainment system. Is this just a stereo audio input or can it also output audio?
31. The paddle regen braking on the steering wheel is rather abrupt. Is there some way to modulate / reprogram the amount of paddle regen braking?
32. The fact that there is no rear window wiper is very annoying in rainy Vancouver. Any suggestions on keeping the rear window clear? I was thinking of using Rain-X.
33. Given that the gasoline in the gas tank can stay in there for months if not years would it be advisable to add Sta-Bil Fuel Stabilizer and/or use Chevron 94 (the only gas in British Columba that has no ethical) (ethanol is not only corrosive but reduces miles per gallon)
1. Is some way to have the display show the rear camera when driving forward? No
2. Is there some way to random access the radio's tuner instead of having it sequential via the forward / back buttons or at the least speed up how fast it scrolls forward or backward? No
3. Is there some way to tune the radio from the steering wheel? Yes but you can only skip forward and back through the preset stations.
4. Is there a mute control for the radio on the steering wheel and/or on the radio itself? Yes, briefly press the center of the round Infotainment System Volume Control On/Off button.
6. Can the infotainment display be used to play video / audio and if so how do I do that? Yes, USB memory stick.
7. One of my Volts provides a short honk when I leave the car and the other does not, what is going on here? Usually this occurs when the Volt senses that one of the key fobs has been left in the vehicle.
8. Is there some way to control when and how the doors lock when you start to drive (as things are now the doors automatically lock when I start to drive)? Yes, see Volt Owner's manual starting on Page 143 Settings> Vehicle Settings > Doors: Unlocked Door Anti-Lockout, Auto Door Lock, Delayed Door Lock
9. As things are now, the doors stay unlocked as long as the keys are in proximity of the car and stay unlocked even when I leave the car. Is there some way to have the doors auto-lock immediately upon leaving the car? See answer to question #8
10. Is there some way to ensure I cannot lock the keys in the car? Yes, see answer to question #8
16. Is there some way to turn off that lame spaceship sound when I press the start button (both turning on the car or turning off the car)? Yes, use the round Volume control dial in the center of the Infotainment stack to turn down the volume while these sound effects are playing.
17. Is there some way to have it so that when I enter the car I do not have to put my foot on the brake and then press the start button to get going, but it's simply ready right away, and similarly turns off right away when I exit the car? No, the Volt requires two factors (foot on brake pedal, finger on Start button) when starting the vehicle for safety.
18. Is there some way to keep the charge current at 12 amps instead of repeatedly having to reset it to 12 mps from 8 amps? Yes, set a home location and the Volt will use the GPS (even if you don't have the optional Navigation System) and can remember your home charging default setting.
19. Is there some way to slow down the speed that the power windows open and close and/or otherwise change some of the power windows functionality such as the driver's side doing all the way down with a single press (which can be annoying)? No
20. Is there some way to turn off the lame pedestrian warning noise that is constantly present when driving? Yes, but you would need to remove a fuse. There is information available on the Forum.
21. I loaded Chevy MyLink onto my iPhone, but it asks for some sort of account information, where would I find this information? Go to MyVolt.com or MyChevrolet.com and set up your account. The PIN that you setup online will also be the PIN you use with the MyChevrolet app.
24. Is possible to download onto my iPhone, a complete set of individual owners' preferences for the infotainment system and other functions such as the alarm system and door locks, or must I setup each individual function separately for each of my two Volts? You must set these manually on each Volt.
25. I gather I have four freebee oil changes over the first two years of ownership (at least I think that's the case here in Canada). What other servicing freebees have been provided outside of the warranty particulars; tire rotation, tire balancing, etc? In the US, you are entitled to free tire rotations and multipoint vehicle inspections and up to 2 oil changes within the first 24 months or 30k miles.
27. Do most people use their iPhone to provide navigation or is there some better way? Android phones and Android Auto will enable you to use Waze or Google Maps. iOS 12 will enable third party map applications so iPhone users will finally be able to use Waze and Google Maps with Apple CarPlay.
28. There was a Wi-Fi sticker on the driver's side windows of my two Volts (I pealed them off). Is this through OnStar or GM and given I have OnStar for ten years (correct?) do I also have Wi-Fi for ten years? The Volt has its own WiFi hotspot, for up to 7 devices. This requires an OnStar data plan to connect to the internet over the Volt's 4G LTE cellular service.
29. I plugged in a USB drive into the USB port below the infotainment unit, and a prompt appeared on the screen, but I could not access the USB drive's contents (mostly MS Word files). What can these two USB port do and no do? Can these USB ports access MOV, MP3's, MP4's, wave, etc? The Volt will recognize, can play MP3/MP4 audio and video.
30. There is a miniature female (stereo I assume) plug adjacent to the two USB ports below the infotainment system. Is this just a stereo audio input or can it also output audio? Audio Input only
31. The paddle regen braking on the steering wheel is rather abrupt. Is there some way to modulate / reprogram the amount of paddle regen braking? Not with the paddle, use your foot brake to modulate the amount of regen and friction braking (the Volt has true blended braking)
32. The fact that there is no rear window wiper is very annoying in rainy Vancouver. Any suggestions on keeping the rear window clear? I was thinking of using Rain-X. There are some good window treatment products, these may work even better than RainX. I have applied RainX to my rear glass and it definitely helps. Wash the window well, then dry. Apply the product per directions. Reapply every 4-6 months or as needed.
33. Given that the gasoline in the gas tank can stay in there for months if not years would it be advisable to add Sta-Bil Fuel Stabilizer and/or use Chevron 94 (the only gas in British Columba that has no ethical) (ethanol is not only corrosive but reduces miles per gallon) No, GM does not recommend adding any fuel additives or stabilizers to the Volt's fuel system. The Volt's fuel tank is pressurized, the fuel can remain unused for up to 12 months. After 6 weeks of not using any fuel the Volt will run the Engine Management Mode for about 10-15 minutes to lubricate the engine and this burns up a little fuel. After 12 months of not adding any fuel to the fuel tank the Volt will enter Fuel Management Mode and begin to use up any remaining fuel. If you are not taking a long distance road trip and do not regularly use any gas the Owner's Manual recommends keeping the fuel tank 1/3rd full (approx. 3 gallons) of fuel. The Chevron 94 octane ethanol free gas would not damage the Volt but since the Gen 2 Volt only requires 87 octane fuel it would be a waste of money to put Chevron 94 in your Volt. A Gen 1 Volt is designed to run on premium octane (91 octane minimum) fuel so in that case you might want to use Chevron 94.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Welcome (back?). There have been a few reports of missing threads that we're still trying to figure out - maybe the result of server changes. I hadn't heard of registerations vanishing.
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I attempted a private message to you (saghaost) that was rejected because your mailbox is full.
My recent registration here was somehow deleted. I re-registered, using my earlier user name and password.
Now, I've attempted to post, and received a message that my post won't "post" until it has been reviewed by a moderator. My posts never appear.
I've not encountered this before. Any idea what's going on?
Thanks.

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
jcanoe is spot on. I have a few additional comments

#10 - I think the car is pretty smart. I had a situation where my wife left her keys in her purse in the car, I walked up to it, put my backpack in the back closed it, walked to the driver door, had a moment of panic as my keys were in the backpack, and when I pressed the button on the handle to unlock the car, the vehicle had actually unlocked the driver door when I had both fobs, so my press actually locked it. In a panic, I pressed the button several times before I realized what was going on. I think if you only have one key fob inside the car, it won't do this, but I'm not about to test it. Also, don't forget you can unlock your car with the Onstar app on your smartphone.

#18 - get a pair of L2 EVSEs

#31 - Just forget you have the regen paddle and use the brake pedal. It's safer, plus often enables you to get more EV range (instead of waiting for the perfect moment to pull a max regen, you let go of the accelerator earlier, coast longer and the light fortuitously turns green allowing you to go on your merry...)

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
The very FIRST thing that you should do is go back to your dealer and DEMAND that they give you the Owner's Manual and Infotainment Manual that came with each car. Most of the answers to your questions are there.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The very FIRST thing that you should do is go back to your dealer and DEMAND that they give you the Owner's Manual and Infotainment Manual that came with each car. Most of the answers to your questions are there.
...or download them from the my.chevrolet.com web site.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you kindly for all the great input; I believe I have the manual around somewhere but I don't recall seeing an Infotainment Manual. I have been so busy with work, house projects, music (my first love), and finances that I've barely had time to sleep let alone sit in the car while reading through the manual. All the insight you guys can provide as per my above questions is greatly appreciated, and yep it is odd that all my prior posts and even my online identity simply vanished, as some of the questions I am asking here were responded to in my prior posts, alas I did not keep a copy of those helpful responses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Regarding your iPhone, iOS 11 has a do not disturb while driving feature that you can disable. I’m assuming you’re noticing this feature while riding as a passenger, because it’s illegal in Vancouver and quite dangerous anywhere to use your phone while driving. CarPlay is excellent and you should really just take three seconds to set that up.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Gen 2's use 87 gas. The car can run this no problem. As mentioned the tank is pressurized to help the longevity of the fuel with 6 week engine starts to help circulate fluids and 1 year gas burns if too little gas is burned. Co-op gas stations have up to 10% ethanol in 87, up to 5% ethanol for 89 and no ethanol for 91 octane as stated on their pumps. Shell 91 has no ethanol. This is on Vancouver Island and I assume Vancouver is the same as we both get 1/3 of out gas from the Kinder Morgan refinery and 2/3 from the Cherry Point refinery in Washington State. This may be station specific and a search for Vancouver situation should tell you. You can burn the higher octane in your cars to eliminate the alcohol but there really is no point. You are paying more money (relatively speaking) for little return.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I should have been more specific as to questions 7 and 20 (which were responded to by jcanoe - much appreciated!) so here are my rephrased questions and I await your great advice kind posters:

7a. Only one of my Volts sometimes honks once, or three times, or not all, when I shut the doors to leave the car. This is not due to the Volt sensing key fobs left inside. I can see no pattern as to why it sometimes honks once, or three times, or not all, when I shut the doors to leave the car. My other Volt does not do any this honking stuff. I bought them both new within a few weeks of each other at the same dealer. I do not want either Volt to do this sort of honking nonsense when I shut the doors to leave the car, as it disturbs the neighbours.

20a. Does pulling pedestrian warning noise fuse disable other functionality or cause a CEL prompt? It would seem unlikely that the pedestrian warning noise device would have a dedicated circuit, thus I’m guessing that pulling the fuse would disable other functionality or cause a CEL prompt.

Much obliged as always,
Battery Boy

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I should have been more specific as to questions 7 and 20 (which were responded to by jcanoe - much appreciated!) so here are my rephrased questions and I await your great advice kind posters:

7a. Only one of my Volts sometimes honks once, or three times, or not all, when I shut the doors to leave the car. This is not due to the Volt sensing key fobs left inside. I can see no pattern as to why it sometimes honks once, or three times, or not all, when I shut the doors to leave the car. My other Volt does not do any this honking stuff. I bought them both new within a few weeks of each other at the same dealer. I do not want either Volt to do this sort of honking nonsense when I shut the doors to leave the car, as it disturbs the neighbours.

20a. Does pulling pedestrian warning noise fuse disable other functionality or cause a CEL prompt? It would seem unlikely that the pedestrian warning noise device would have a dedicated circuit, thus I’m guessing that pulling the fuse would disable other functionality or cause a CEL prompt.

Much obliged as always,
Battery Boy
I don't know why one Volt would honk the horn when the other Volt does not honk. With the Volt that has the intermittent honk, what happens when you don't turn off the Volt, then exit the vehicle and close the door? The Volt should honk twice if you leave the key fob inside the vehicle, three times if you forget to turn off the vehicle. Here is a link: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?17269-Beep-Chirp-Chime-Horn-A-guide-to-what-your-Volt-is-saying&highlight=pedestrian

If you pull the fuse for the pedestrian warning sound effect it will also disable the chirp that the Volt sounds when you plug in to charge.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
38 Posts
. I do not want either Volt to do this sort of honking nonsense when I shut the doors to leave the car, as it disturbs the neighbours.
This behavior is quite easily turned off from the menu on the main screen. Please explore it in detail as many of your questions/problems are covered there.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
This behavior is quite easily turned off from the menu on the main screen. Please explore it in detail as many of your questions/problems are covered there.

Where can one read the instructions for disabling the Volt double honk warning when you leave the key fob inside the vehicle and the triple honk warning if you exit the Volt without powering off the vehicle? I don't believe you can disable either of these warnings.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
38 Posts
I don't know exactly where you can read it, but it's right in Settings -> Vehicle -> Remote lock, unlock, start -> Remote left in vehicle alert.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I don't know exactly where you can read it, but it's right in Settings -> Vehicle -> Remote lock, unlock, start -> Remote left in vehicle alert.
Thanks. You can turn off the Remote Left in Vehicle Alert (2 honks) but there does not appear to be any way to defeat the Vehicle Left On Alert (3 honks) if you exit the Volt, close the driver's door without turning off the car.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts