GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to purchase or lease a 2011 Volt before 12/31/2010 to obtain the tax credit. I also want to try to get 100MPG on my daily commute (150-200 miles). My employer agreed to supply a metered plug in 2011 before I get the car. So now the race is on to find one and buy it before year end. I need some help.

To do this I need to find an dealer that still has an allocation. This is highly unlikely I realize, but not impossible. If Mr. Honda can do it in the 1940s, we can do it in the 21st centry (see: The Story of Honda, as told by Tony Robbins)

I live in the Chicago area and have easy access to the MI market. I have located a trusted dealer in Lansing.

If you would like to help and think this sort of thing is fun (like I do)... please let me know where to look. If you can make a call to ask, then let me know by sending me a message through the forum, I'll follow up.

Thank you in advance! Hope to join the ranks in June.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I would like to purchase or lease a 2011 Volt before 12/31/2010 to obtain the tax credit. I also want to try to get 100MPG on my daily commute (150-200 miles).
You may be a little late in the game, and your expectations for the Volt may be a little high. If you're driving 100 miles on a charge, the Volt at best will get around 65 MPG (100-40 EV miles (best), 60 CD [email protected] MPG (best) = 1.5 gallons gas, or around 65 MPG).

And it's not a tax credit, it's a tax deduction.

To do this I need to find an dealer that still has an allocation. This is highly unlikely I realize, but not impossible.
Not impossible, but unlikely. Two cars bought by a dealer in Austin TX (on spec) sold through interactions on gm-volt last night and this morning. Maybe there are more. I think a dealer here in San Diego CA is getting 3 on spec, but I don't know when.

I live in the Chicago area and have easy access to the MI market
THAT won't help you. MI doesn't get any cars until the March time frame. I think the only places you can get cars this year (if possible) are the NYC areas of NY and NJ, around Washington D.C., Austin TX, and California.

Period.

There's a "long distance buyers" thread that can help you with logistics around the forums (that I'm too lazy to look up :), but your work would really be cut out for you at this point.

Wish you luck!

·
Registered
199 Posts
There is a dealer on the chevroletvoltage.com web site that says he has 5 cars available for January delivery.

Jerry

·
Registered
188 Posts
And it's not a tax credit, it's a tax deduction.
Wha? We can agree that the $7500 thingie for plug-ins is indeed a credit, can't we?
The "before 12/31/2010" bit would allow it to appear on this year's taxes. If purchased next year, the credit can be claimed on next years taxes (subject to phase-outs after 200,000 vehicles, which shouldn't be a factor).

The Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit does expire 12/31/2010, but it's still a credit, isn't it?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hope to join the ranks in June.
If by "June" you are implying that you'd want to complete the sale now (before the end of 2010) and then take delivery in June, no can do. The car has to be built and invoiced for you to complete the transaction with the dealer.

I think Austin is pretty well picked over by now. You may have better luck focusing on NY metro. Over at www.chevroletvoltage.com there's a dealer who been posting for weeks that he's got cars available. Although he may be asking for a premium for them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Rusty. I drive 75 miles, then the car sits for 6-8 hours. If I get 50 miles on charge, then I can plug it in at work and do the same in reverse. Thanks for the clarification on all the technical and tax matter. This helps a lot.

I was hoping to just order one in 2010 and get delivery between March and June of 2011. I got a couple of emails with guidance for help on the http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...still-has-a-Volt-to-sell-in-2010&goto=newpost thread. Thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm glad you don't do your own taxes Rusty.....that would have been a big mistake - to only take the $7500 as a deduction....rather than a credit....stay off the sauce!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My CPA certified the tax credit for personal and business (pulls through on an K-1 if it's an S-corp)... I found the IRS form online for her... she couldn't find it. It's not even in her tax software.

I'll be driving 75 miles per trip. I'm hoping to get the lab at work to charge it for me during the day using 240V. I was optimistic in my calcs... exicited, I'll be more precise in the future... tough crowd - I like it.

Oh yeah, I found a Volt to buy. Busy working out the long distance deal. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
My CPA certified the tax credit for personal and business (pulls through on an K-1 if it's an S-corp)... I found the IRS form online for her... she couldn't find it. It's not even in her tax software.
Yeah, after the last few years of dealing with K-1, we handed the taxes off to an accountant friend who wanted to get into being a tax preparer. Once she got through that and cap gains she didn't have any trouble starting the new career with H&R. She's done our taxes free ever since :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Restructuring in 2011... same issue here. My accountant has a very interesting history.

Paperwork in process for the Volt now. Thanks you all the help and support. This would have been much harder on my own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is very disappointing that Chevy mislead us again into thinking Volt was going to be a unlimited range electric car similar to Tesla.
A 40 mile range car is nothing now a days in our every day crazy traffic, it will not save us enough money at all to recoup the $50 k cost of the car its only good for a old lady going to the store.
Yeah I know i said $50 k for the volt , lets be realistic after paying base pay $40 k they want and add all the dealer cost crap and taxes and options you lucky to eave the dealership with your shoes on.
Its ridiculous that we were waiting this long reading all the hype that Chevy was going to build a great EV car.
Now Toyota doesn't have to worry at all their Prius gets 50 miles right now and if you upgrade it for another $10 k you can get 100 mile on one charge.
I think its the same scam like the General Motors EV 1 of the mid 1990's. That was a awesome car but they destroyed it because Chevy feared the public would not buy their other cars .
And now with are technology we have Chevy can do it but Chevy is too arrogant and still have issues with making a car that would hurt the sales of their other models. Shame on them twice.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
We'll be sure to pass that on to Chevy after they have a chance to recover from all the people beating down their doors to buy this car. Your opinion is valuable and desired, thanks!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Chevyman you got your facts all wrong!

Yeah I know i said $50 k for the volt , lets be realistic after paying base pay $40 k they want and add all the dealer cost crap and taxes and options you lucky to eave the dealership with your shoes on.
You're forgetting the $7500 tax credit. $41k + 5.5% tax = $43,255 - $7500 tax credit = $35,755, not $50k

Prius gets 50 miles right now and if you upgrade it for another $10 k you can get 100 mile on one charge.
No, the 2010 Prius goes at most 2 miles on all-electric. You can't plug it in. The $10K upgrade from hymotion allows you to plug in your Prius to get up to 40 miles of electric range, but that's not ALL electric, Prius likes to turn on the gas engine, even if you have the Hymotion upgrade.

I think its the same scam like the General Motors EV 1 of the mid 1990's. That was a awesome car but they destroyed it because Chevy feared the public would not buy their other cars . And now with are technology we have Chevy can do it but Chevy is too arrogant and still have issues with making a car that would hurt the sales of their other models. Shame on them twice.
Finally! The mystery is solved! GM killed the electric car because it was too popular and would have made them too much money! Same reason they screwed up the Volt! Thanks for explaining it to us. The LAST thing GM needs right now it a hit car that lowers sales of their other cars. You make a lot of sense.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Order placed, EPA sticker

Just placed my order. The dealer sent the EPA sticker from the car. It has MPG for All Electric and Gas Only. Actual mileage will be somewhere in between the two. Wikipedia claims 60 MPG. It all depend how you drive it. The EPA has a test and the results are officially:
Charge Time: 4 hours 240V
All Electric: 93/36 MPG equivalent
Gas Only: 37 MPG
Range: 35 miles All Electric, 379 Total
It has a bunch of other stuff I can't read off the fax. Pretty cool.

·
Super Moderator
6,332 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ordered my Volt from Altantic Chevy in Bay Shore, NY. A salesman posted an article on the chevroletvoltage.com forum. This was the first time I've attempted to purchase a car using information from the Internet. I discovered Neal is one of the top Chevy salesmen in the country. They followed excellent security procedures. I was impressed how they concealed their personal identities until verifying my identity and ability to purchase the vehicle. I also checked out the dealership using friends who lived in the NY area. I called a few times until I was comfortable with dealing with them.

I checked the NY BBB and verified that the company was legit and cross referenced the phone numbers against numbers listed by GM, my local dealer and calls received from the company.

The salesman was very busy, but also very responsive as was the staff. Each step of the way they explained the process and kept
their commitments. He was also able to describe how the vehicle worked... of the half a dozen sales people I talked to he was the first person who understood the car and the tax credit. This convinced me they had sold Volt before.

We have a lot left to work out, but since the car will take weeks to complete nobody is in a hurry.

At this point I am satisfied the car will get built properly. When the car shows up at the dealer I will need to deal with the financial
system... which is never pleasant. Arranging financing through my bank beforehand will make it go smoother.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am taking delivery of a Volt tomorrow from Neal at Atlantic (it was ready Friday but I couldn't get there until tomorrow). Everything has been great so far and just as promised. Will advise if different after tomorrow though I doubt there is any need to worry. They are even picking me up at home (I live about 1.5 hours away) to make delivery easier.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts