GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
I thought Volt production would go on for another year or two. Cruze is out also.

Yet, German auto makers are full speed a head on EV sedans.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow! Maybe not a shock to other members of this forum, but a huge disappointment to me. I had fully expected to go to the next gen Volt at the end of my lease (mid 2021). Looks like GM won’t be there with one

By then there will be plenty of other electrics to select.

Ken - 2018 Premium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
After Ford dropped nearly all of their cars in favor of trucks/SUVs, this is not too surprising. Looks like GM is moving in that direction as well. They will probably leave most of the mainstream car game to the numerous competitors who have been putting pressure on Detroit for decades anyway. At least Honda has come out with a car that can run on gas or electric and has good range. Thank you GM for bringing us the Volt and helping to open up the market to plug in cars.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Bolt is still viable.

Hopefully this puts some pressure on Feds to figure out the EV tax credit situation, because it's a disaster right now. They can't go on sponsoring legislation that puts domestic companies $7500 behind the 8-ball compared to competitors from Honda, Hyundai, Kia, and others that were late to the EV/EREV game.

Hopeful to see something like the Velite 6 with a raised roofline come back with the Voltec powertrain in a few years.

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
This is from another Jalopnik article:

"General Motors has been kicking around a plan to restructure the company across the globe for some time now, as it makes a big push into the electric and autonomous vehicle space, with 20 new electrified models planned by 2023."

Shutting down Volt production seems like a strange way to make "a big push into the electric vehicle space." But if we assume the Volt is a "compliance car" that costs a lot more to make than its sales price, then it makes sense that they would shut it down if they're planning to expand their EV lineup significantly. I guess fully electric vehicles are probably a lot less expensive to build than the Volt.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
They say that they are focusing their resources on EVs and self driving cars but they've announced nothing. I've been reluctant to move to Tesla because of things like service center location but if GM doesn't announce some new EVs soon then I don't see any alternative.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Bolt is still viable.

Hopefully this puts some pressure on Feds to figure out the EV tax credit situation, because it's a disaster right now. They can't go on sponsoring legislation that puts domestic companies $7500 behind the 8-ball compared to competitors from Honda, Hyundai, Kia, and others that were late to the EV/EREV game.

Hopeful to see something like the Velite 6 with a raised roofline come back with the Voltec powertrain in a few years.
Bolt/Enbolt/BLT will be needed to meet the mandates.
In CARB land the Volt is only worth 1.3, while the Bolt is 4, and the Volt can meet only a decreasing fraction of the credits. (2019 max 3% TZEV/7%, and each year until 2025 the increases are 0.5%/2.5%)
In China the Velite PHEV would be worth 2 credits and the Bolt would be 6 credits.

Doesn't mean that they won't release another PHEV in the USA, although I really doubt they'll do it. The winds are so heavily behind BEV that it's simply not worth them pushing PHEV at this point.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Anyone know anything about how Chevy will respond to this from a service perspective? I know they're required to stock parts for 8+ years after production conclusion under warranty concerns, but will they continue to have Volt-techs around for the next 5 years or so?

Really hoping there is another Voltec powertrain coming soon as I can't see much dealer incentive to aggressively support a really long-warrantied, complex car that they're no longer selling, outside of a class action lawsuit.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Anyone know anything about how Chevy will respond to this from a service perspective? I know they're required to stock parts for 8+ years after production conclusion under warranty concerns, but will they continue to have Volt-techs around for the next 5 years or so?

Really hoping there is another Voltec powertrain coming soon as I can't see much dealer incentive to aggressively support a really long-warrantied, complex car that they're no longer selling, outside of a class action lawsuit.
Don't know, but realistically the work is the same: shut off the high-voltage, disassemble, replace part, assemble, turn on high-voltage connector.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
This is from another Jalopnik article:

"General Motors has been kicking around a plan to restructure the company across the globe for some time now, as it makes a big push into the electric and autonomous vehicle space, with 20 new electrified models planned by 2023."

Shutting down Volt production seems like a strange way to make "a big push into the electric vehicle space." But if we assume the Volt is a "compliance car" that costs a lot more to make than its sales price, then it makes sense that they would shut it down if they're planning to expand their EV lineup significantly. I guess fully electric vehicles are probably a lot less expensive to build than the Volt.
By the time 2023 rolls around GM may be bankrupt again.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Bolt/Enbolt/BLT will be needed to meet the mandates.
In CARB land the Volt is only worth 1.3, while the Bolt is 4, and the Volt can meet only a decreasing fraction of the credits. (2019 max 3% TZEV/7%, and each year until 2025 the increases are 0.5%/2.5%)
In China the Velite PHEV would be worth 2 credits and the Bolt would be 6 credits.

Doesn't mean that they won't release another PHEV in the USA, although I really doubt they'll do it. The winds are so heavily behind BEV that it's simply not worth them pushing PHEV at this point.
The differential in government credits is mind-boggling to me, when the average Volt user is driving around 80% electric these days. I get giving the Bolt a bigger credit, but one would think the credit should approximate that ratio.

Another question -- even in CARB states -- why would anyone buy a seemingly full price Bolt versus a $7500-discounted Kona EV, Niro EV, etc. Government needs to get to work on this, ASAP. I assume Volt discontinuation may have been done (among many, many other reasons) to send a warning call to the government that they're not going to sit back and let the feds subsidize their competition without consequences.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
The differential in government credits is mind-boggling to me, when the average Volt user is driving around 80% electric these days. I get giving the Bolt a bigger credit, but one would think the credit should approximate that ratio.

Another question -- even in CARB states -- why would anyone buy a seemingly full price Bolt versus a $7500-discounted Kona EV, Niro EV, etc. Government needs to get to work on this, ASAP. I assume Volt discontinuation may have been done (among many, many other reasons) to send a warning call to the government that they're not going to sit back and let the feds subsidize their competition without consequences.
I'm sure that the disappearance of the tax credit is a factor, but it's also the "wrong" form factor and Chevrolet has the Bolt and other variants coming. Some other manufacturers will keep their PHEV creditmobiles going because they don't have another choice.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts