GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If GM halts production of Gen 2 Chevy Volt in March of 2019, is it a good idea to buy a Volt now (December 2018) or wait for a possible better deal in the first quarter of 2019 when the 7.5K federal tax credit is still available?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Question is not that much related to the 7.5K tax credit which will be available in Q1/2019 even if GM reached 200K in Q4/2018. If GM halts production in March 2019 will the 2019 Volt be sold at a fast pace to liquidate the stock (lower prices) or will it be released in small batches to keep the price high(er). Trying to figure out which is which?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
If GM halts production of Gen 2 Chevy Volt in March of 2019, is it a good idea to buy a Volt now (December 2018) or wait for a possible better deal in the first quarter of 2019 when the 7.5K federal tax credit is still available?
That really depends; do you expect to have sufficient taxable income in 2018? What about in 2019? You need to have a federal income tax liability of at least $7500, in the calendar year you purchase a qualifying vehicle, to take full advantage of the tax credit. The credit will be the full $7500 for Q1 but should drop to half ($3750) by Q2, Q3, then 25% and finally it will go away unless Congress extends the tax credit (seems unlikely.) Any deals you are likely to see will be from GM such as Employee Pricing on qualifying GM vehicles. Also, right now with a Costco Premium membership you can earn a $500 Costco cash card when you purchase a 2018 GM vehicle and $700 cash card when you purchase a 2019 GM vehicle.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I think the biggest issue with the 2019 right now is that the dealers are crazy focused on clearing out the 2018s. Absolutely INSANE deals on them. I'm seeing advertised up to 11K off MSRP! That means you can absolutely get a good deal once you walk in and negotiate.

I'm not seeing good deals on the 2019 yet. Best bet is to find a dealer that doesn't have any 2018s left and tell them you'll go someplace else to scoop up a cheaper 2018. May not work but worth a shot. There is also low volume of 2019s now so you'll have a harder time finding one you want.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes for 2018 and yes for 2019 regarding taxable income. Also already a Costco certificate holder for December 2018 which can be combined with $1K cash back and $1.5K loyalty offered by GM for December 2018. The BIG question is not about December 2018 but about March 2019 when the production halts. Will GM try to liquidated the stock asap (hence greater incentives) or hold on to stock and release it slowly to keep the price up. Given that the $7.5K tax credit is probably going to be cut in half after March 31st, 2019 I can see how GM may decide to accelerate sales before such event. If I am right, the March 2019 net prices may be better than December 2018. But if I am wrong......

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In my area there are plenty of 2018s and only a hand full of 2019s. That's why the best deal only includes Costco certificate plus GM incentives $ 2.5K. Dealers are not offering anything less from what I can see. March 2019 may be a totally different story.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
If I am right, the March 2019 net prices may be better than December 2018. But if I am wrong......
Normally, I would say you're right. But these aren't normal times. As someone who has bought two Volts already, I can say that I never saw good deals on the current model year in December because a LOT of buyers want that instant tax credit. HOWEVER, this market is now all messed up with the pending end of the Volt and the end of the tax credit. The danger for you is that come March 2019 you may only have a VERY limited number of Volts left hanging around, which means lower supply + pending higher demand with end of tax credit, and prices may be worse than they are now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would expect that only Volt lessees/owners would still go for another Volt during the last production year. I do not see new (Non Volt users) to jump into the pool. I have an offer for a 2019 Volt with the configuration I want but, again, nothing spectacular in terms of price (after Costco match and $2.5 GM incentives) There are a couple of other dealers who offer some $ 500-$1000 dealer incentives but they do not have the vehicle I want. I do not have to have the 2019 in December if I can get the same in March 2019 at a better price. I guess I am the mercy of the GM demigods.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Agree with post above if you can find an 18 that is what will get a good deal at this point. Got one early November, 7500 off list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think the biggest issue with the 2019 right now is that the dealers are crazy focused on clearing out the 2018s. Absolutely INSANE deals on them. I'm seeing advertised up to 11K off MSRP! That means you can absolutely get a good deal once you walk in and negotiate.
I've been looking for a deal like that but haven't found one. Where are you seeing those kinds of discounts? Locally in Phoenix, I see dealers offering $7k, but most of the discounts are bogus, like $2,500 of "trade assistance". And I'm not a current lessee, so I can't take advantage of lease loyalty discounts either. Anyway, would love to know where I can get $11k off.

Thanks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
In Milwaukee I just got $9k off MSRP and could have done even better if I had been leasing a car with another company (another $1-1.5k rebate). This is the first time I've seen real deals on volts in the last 3 years.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
In Milwaukee I just got $9k off MSRP and could have done even better if I had been leasing a car with another company (another $1-1.5k rebate). This is the first time I've seen real deals on volts in the last 3 years.
Yes some of the “deals” require a “loyalty lease” discount situation as above. I was glad to get a real 7500 off list in November. 9k off list is a great deal. Looks like they have added a new GM 2k cash back incentive until Jan. 2 that I wish we could have had, but I didn’t want to take a chance there wouldn’t be inventory left in late December regarding the tax credit. Good for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anyone have any recommendations for dealers in VA or MD, PA? The dealers in NC are not very good with Volts and a lot are not even authorized to sell them.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Does anyone have any recommendations for dealers in VA or MD, PA? The dealers in NC are not very good with Volts and a lot are not even authorized to sell them.
Ted Britt in Sterling VA. Bought 2 volts there. Bonaminn in Manassas VA. (Bought one there). Koons in Tyson’s Corner VA. Lindsay in Woodbridge VA.

Check some of these out. Might be worth a drive. Lots of Volt competition in DC area. With the $7500 tax credit (if you can use it) you could get a reasonably equipped 18 LT for net under 20K.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/s...e&modelChanged=undefined&filtersModified=true

Here’s a broader list within 200 miles of here. There are a few listed in Philly at the airport (cheap flight?) for less than 23k but who knows what discounts are included for that price.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/s...e&modelChanged=undefined&filtersModified=true

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
The best deal I got ever on a Volt was at Jeff Barnes in Sykesville, Md. 14K off MSRP! Holy smokes. The catch is that it was a leftover model AND it was the last day of the month. I did the whole thing by phone with a willingness to "BUY TODAY" if we matched the price. Be prepared for a long drive if so. I think they may have a leftover '17 and '18 in stock.

Most of the MD dealers have some of the best prices nationwide, BUT my experience with some (outside of Barnes) was that they would advertise a lower price and then tack on excessive fees or come up with excuses why I didn't "qualify" for their advertised price. I one time drove 2 hours to a Maryland dealership after they agreed on the phone to give me a Volt LT for 26K. I showed up and they would only go to 28K with some BS that I didn't qualify. I told them they were dishonest and walked out. Waste of time.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
The best deal I got ever on a Volt was at Jeff Barnes in Sykesville, Md. 14K off MSRP! Holy smokes. The catch is that it was a leftover model AND it was the last day of the month. I did the whole thing by phone with a willingness to "BUY TODAY" if we matched the price. Be prepared for a long drive if so. I think they may have a leftover '17 and '18 in stock.

Most of the MD dealers have some of the best prices nationwide, BUT my experience with some (outside of Barnes) was that they would advertise a lower price and then tack on excessive fees or come up with excuses why I didn't "qualify" for their advertised price. I one time drove 2 hours to a Maryland dealership after they agreed on the phone to give me a Volt LT for 26K. I showed up and they would only go to 28K with some BS that I didn't qualify. I told them they were dishonest and walked out. Waste of time.
If you are coming up all this way definitely negotiate out a hard number over the phone first.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Phelps Chevrolet has a 2019 Volt. They are great to deal with. Tell them one of Tyer boys from Little Washington sent you and don't settle for a salesman. Tell them you want to talk to one of the Phelps boys.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
If you are coming up all this way definitely negotiate out a hard number over the phone first.
Yes live and learn. Imagine the salesperson telling me flat out "Yes, we can do 26K on that Volt"--and that was NOT a hard number! What was wrong with me?!?!?

Yeah the other deal in Maryland I got into much more detail (down to financing, etc.), but I started the process early in the day. This time I called them just 3 hours from closing time--and still had a 2 hour drive in front me. I figured they would absolutely honor the deal. Ha!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts