GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disappointed my MY17 ACC Volt has went silent. Been parked inside garage about 13 days while I'm way and about 2 days ago it stopped responding to remote status inquiries. From 1 ~11 days after leaving it responded just fine. Had a full charge before leaving and charger was left off. And it's got a wonderful LTE connection where it's parked.

I know GM doesn't do so great with overall idle lower power management so I'm wondering if my 12V hasn't drained?

Bummer..

I wish:
1) Volt (and all other models) had a more aggressive lower power management plan
2) Volt had some WiFi connectivity in case there was some Cellular issues

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Disappointed my MY17 ACC Volt has went silent. Been parked inside garage about 13 days while I'm way and about 2 days ago it stopped responding to remote status inquiries. From 1 ~11 days after leaving it responded just fine. Had a full charge before leaving and charger was left off. And it's got a wonderful LTE connection where it's parked.

I know GM doesn't do so great with overall idle lower power management so I'm wondering if my 12V hasn't drained?

Bummer..

I wish:
1) Volt (and all other models) had a more aggressive lower power management plan
2) Volt had some WiFi connectivity in case there was some Cellular issues
The Volt will turn off the Onstar signal after a few days of inactivity to prevent draining the 12V. It did that with Gen 1 too. Don't worry, your Volt is fine. :)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I'm surprised that you got 11 days out of it. I thought that Onstar would shut down after 2 or 3 days of inactivity.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
do you actually have to re-start the Volt to clear the 2 days onstar off or will just plugging in and charging a bit give you another 2 days ?

I have never gone 2 days without driving mine

I ask because people have come up with interesting ways to charge the VOLT when away ( internal rate-delay settings - Wife - ect)

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I doubt that your 12 v battery is drained. there is a limit on the number of times you can ping your car between starts. In the 2G onstar systems, the limit is 10 pings, you can use these all up in 30 minutes if you try. I don't know what the limit is in the 4GLTE onstar systems, but whatever it is, you have run into it.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Prior to the Generation 10 OnStar hardware and associated 4G LTE connection, OnStar-enabled vehicles had a maximum stand-by time of five days. This means that the OnStar system remained in active, yet-power-efficient stand-by mode for five days after the vehicle was parked and not started. After the five days had elapsed, the system would hibernate so as to conserve the vehicle’s battery.

By contrast, vehicles with the OnStar Gen 10 4G LTE hardware will remain in stand-by mode for ten days before hibernating. GM-Onstar tells us that the increase in the stand-by time is a by-product of the 4G LTE signal and hardware being more energy-efficient than the outgoing 2G CDMA signal and hardware

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/07/tenth-gen-onstar-hardware-increases-vehicle-stand-by-time-from-5-to-10-days/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts