GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Volt Owners-Service Department Dealership experience-never buy a Chevy "Volt" again?

My first Gen2 Volt started to develop brake pedal noise as I have mentioned in a previous thread:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?235385-Brake-pedal-clicking-noise-when-you-put-your-foot-down-lightly-on-the-brake-pedal&highlight=clicking+noise

That clicking/creaking noise became more apparent as time went on so I decided to take my Volt to the nearest Chevy dealer (Camino Real Chevrolet), half an hour one way (not the dealer I purchased the Volt from) to get it checked out.

1st Visit: Made an appointment for 12:00pm Saturday, got to the dealership at 11:59am, was told that their Volt techs are overbooked and to come back next Tuesday at 8:00am. What is the point of an appointment? Why didn't anyone call me to tell me they weren't able to see me that day?

2nd Visit: Went back on Tuesday at 8:00am like they told me to. The advisor asked a brake guy to test drive the car with me. Showed the brake guy the issue. Advisor told me to come back next Monday because it is going to be a few days to repair it. I told him, I can leave the car today and get a rental. The advisor said negative, we won’t be able to work on your car until next week. So you are telling me that I took half a day off from work just so that someone can test drive the car with me? Why couldn’t this be done on my first visit?

So now I have to go back to the dealer a third time and take another half-day off from work.

I love my new Volt and this is the first Chevy that I purchased. However, I am concerned about the service experience “after” you purchase the car. I know only certain techs are certified to work on the Volt and therefore, repair time might be longer compare to other vehicles. But I did not expect to have such a “shi**y”, for a better lack of word, experience at a Chevy Service Department. Never had an issue with my Z at Nissan dealership.

I am wondering if anyone else here had a similarly bad experience as I did trying to service their Volt?

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Have you contacted a Volt Advisor? All we can do is suggest you try a different dealer.

Good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Have you contacted a Volt Advisor? All we can do is suggest you try a different dealer.

Good luck.
When I brought my car to the dealership where I purchased the car and informed them of the braking noise, they told me that it is normal for the Volt, but obviously, the noise is getting worse and definitely not normal. I then contacted a Volt Advisor, she recommended that I take my car to a second dealership to get a second opinion and so I did. This is where my Volt ownership satisfaction really took a dive. It seems to me that dealership makes effort to "avoid" servicing Volt if possible. My guess would be it is costing the dealership more money than they get reimbursed for by GM.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
There is a new bulletin to deal with brake pedal noises on the Gen2 Volt

For a simple "clicking" noise there may have been an assembly line plastic tie-strap left on the pedal assembly that creates the click. The dealer should refer to Bulletin # 16-NA-049

For a "squeaking" type noise at the brake pedal during apply/release there is an updated braking "push-rod retainer" that alleviates the squeaking. The dealer should refer to Bulletin #16-NA-147

HTH
WOT

·
Registered
741 Posts
M

1st Visit: Made an appointment for 12:00pm Saturday, got to the dealership at 11:59am, was told that their Volt techs are overbooked and to come back next Tuesday at 8:00am. What is the point of an appointment? Why didn't anyone call me to tell me they weren't able to see me that day?

2nd Visit: Went back on Tuesday at 8:00am like they told me to. The advisor asked a brake guy to test drive the car with me. Showed the brake guy the issue. Advisor told me to come back next Monday because it is going to be a few days to repair it. I told him, I can leave the car today and get a rental. The advisor said negative, we won’t be able to work on your car until next week. So you are telling me that I took half a day off from work just so that someone can test drive the car with me? Why couldn’t this be done on my first visit?
Having been a service manager, I can understand the first visit. I would never open my doors on Saturday. One place I did work at that was open Saturdays, half the time they spiraled out of control. They probably should have at least taken a test drive but who know which part of the crew you get on any given Saturday.

The second visit has something lost in translation. It sounds like they thought they were just making a check on the problem and had not scheduled an actual repair time or enough of a time slot but were agreeing it needed some type of repair. The shop does seem rather busy not to address this in 2 visits. I would try the third time before switching dealers. I dont think this has much to do with reimbursement rates.

Also, I would ask to speak to the service manager first before going higher. Always best to "keep it local" if possible.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
My first Gen2 Volt started to develop brake pedal noise as I have mentioned in a previous thread:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?235385-Brake-pedal-clicking-noise-when-you-put-your-foot-down-lightly-on-the-brake-pedal&highlight=clicking+noise

That clicking/creaking noise became more apparent as time went on so I decided to take my Volt to the nearest Chevy dealer (Camino Real Chevrolet), half an hour one way (not the dealer I purchased the Volt from) to get it checked out.

So now I have to go back to the dealer a third time and take another half-day off from work.

I love my new Volt and this is the first Chevy that I purchased. However, I am concerned about the service experience “after” you purchase the car. I know only certain techs are certified to work on the Volt and therefore, repair time might be longer compare to other vehicles. But I did not expect to have such a “shi**y”, for a better lack of word, experience at a Chevy Service Department. Never had an issue with my Z at Nissan dealership.

I am wondering if anyone else here had a similarly bad experience as I did trying to service their Volt?
So, because of poor customer service experienced at ONE dealership, you are contemplating not buying a specific product again?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

For a simple "clicking" noise there may have been an assembly line plastic tie-strap left on the pedal assembly that creates the click. The dealer should refer to Bulletin # 16-NA-049

For a "squeaking" type noise at the brake pedal during apply/release there is an updated braking "push-rod retainer" that alleviates the squeaking. The dealer should refer to Bulletin #16-NA-147

HTH
WOT
Excellent information ^^^

Having been a service manager, I can understand the first visit. I would never open my doors on Saturday. One place I did work at that was open Saturdays, half the time they spiraled out of control. They probably should have at least taken a test drive but who know which part of the crew you get on any given Saturday.

The second visit has something lost in translation. It sounds like they thought they were just making a check on the problem and had not scheduled an actual repair time or enough of a time slot but were agreeing it needed some type of repair. The shop does seem rather busy not to address this in 2 visits. I would try the third time before switching dealers. I dont think this has much to do with reimbursement rates.

Also, I would ask to speak to the service manager first before going higher. Always best to "keep it local" if possible.
Solid advice right here ^^^^

·
Registered
354 Posts
I would normally never buy a new GM car again, but the Volt and maybe the Corvette are just the types of cars that nobody else makes.

My impression is that they do a lot of Volt business at the two dealers near me...crossing my fingers they have a decent technician retention rate. I used to be an auto mechanic. I'm inclined to do as much work as I can myself because the comeback is closer to home.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Wow, they stink! I'm really spoiled by the service I have received on any GM car that my local dealer has provided. They have been great! Funny part is, I have never bought a vehicle from them, they aren't competitive.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would normally never buy a new GM car again, but the Volt and maybe the Corvette are just the types of cars that nobody else makes.

My impression is that they do a lot of Volt business at the two dealers near me...crossing my fingers they have a decent technician retention rate. I used to be an auto mechanic. I'm inclined to do as much work as I can myself because the comeback is closer to home.
I think this is some good feedback:

1) Look for service departments that work on Volts a lot - avoid dealership service departments that don't sell many volts

2) Do as much work yourself - I agree - I will rip the car apart while fully under warranty even if it means I'm buying relatively inexpensive parts (< $50)

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I bought my car from there, I know two other Volt purchasers from there as seemingly they have some of the best dealers in all of SoCal...But on that second time I wouldn't have left without a rental or some sort of compensation and would have elevated it until I got it...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So, because of poor customer service experienced at ONE dealership, you are contemplating not buying a specific product again?
That would be two dealerships. The first dealership said the noise was normal. Noise got worse, Volt advisor say to bring it to a second dealership for second opinion. I am not asking for Tesla service here where they send a tow truck with a loaner car and I understand that Gen2 was just released and I was expecting issues as most first year cars. Despite the Service Department experience, I still do very much love my Volt (still deciding on a name)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks for the advice. Keeping my fingers crossed for the third visit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ironic - the reason we are looking at the Volt is because the terrible and inept Ford dealerships and customer service which have ruined our experience with our plug in CMax.

I think basically - dealerships suck. I hate them and I wish they would go away. Dealerships have provided us zero value in the last 15 years. They are a dying business model propped up by franchise laws.

I want to buy a car directly from the manufacturer via the internet, and I want to get service done by certified independent shops who depend on customer satisfaction to keep business.

Warranty work should be allowed to be done by *any* shop which meets certification criteria - allowing the consumer to shop around and find people who will take care of them.

The best service I have received is always from independent shops. They just can't get reimbursed for warranty work so I am *forced* to interact with dealerships.

--
Posted from my iPhone using the "Tapatalk" app.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
193 Posts
My dealer would have given me a loaner the day I brought it in. I would have him call me when it's fixed. End of story! You should find dealer like that. They do exist!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
You should find dealer like that. They do exist!
That's what his goal is, "finding" seems to be the problem for him...With that being said, as soon as they said no the second time to accepting the car and offering a rental, you need to politely remind them about this is the second "blown" appt...It's one thing if they're out of rentals but if they tell you no again, you politely request the service manager...

·
Registered
367 Posts

HTH
WOT
Thanks. Our '17 Volt has developed this too just a week or so ago.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It has been enough to keep me from buying another MINI product. Every time I see a shiny red JCW Cooper roll by, I immediately think about how much fun my last MINI was, followed by nightmarish flashbacks of dealing with the only MINI dealer within 2 hours. The desire to own another MINI immediately vanishes.

The dealer deliberately lied to me, claiming that my car needed hundreds of dollars in repairs. The techs sabotaged my vehicle. They overfilled it with oil, and didn't put the oil cap back on. On several occasions, different electronic modules where unplugged or tampered with so that they would create fault conditions later. This is not MINIs fault, but my time is too valuable to waste it on those dealer clowns. It was so bad that I had to check my car after any service before I drove off the lot, lest they "forget" to put the wheel lugs back on.

A bad dealer will sour people on the entire brand. This is why Tesla doesn't want dealers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts