GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Volt owners drove an average of 800 miles between fill-ups since the Volt launched in December, and in March they averaged 1,000 miles," said Cristi Landy, Volt marketing director. "When the majority of miles driven are electrically, gas usage decreases significantly."

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/going-pump-free-volt-owners-go-1000-miles-between-fill-ups-120351134.html

"I am surprised how infrequently I go to the gas station. It's become a game to achieve as many miles as I can in EV mode," said Steve Wojtanek, a Volt buyer in Boca Raton, Fla. "I have made it my goal to drive as efficiently as possible and I am seeing the results, with more than 3,417 miles under my belt – of which 2,225 are EV miles." A Volt owner since December, Wojtanek is averaging 122 miles per gallon and visiting the gas station about once a month.

"On April 11, I had to buy gas for the first time since filling up on Jan. 9," said Volt owner Gary Davis of Greenville, S.C. "In my Volt I've driven 4,600 miles on 8.4 gallons of gas. That's an impressive 547 mpg that I am achieving with my Volt."

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
THAT is just frickin' awesome! :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
It is wonderful....and very much dependent on driving patterns. I'm fortunate that I can charge at work for a couple of hours, allowing me to make my 46 mile round trip to work and back purely on electricity. This past month 95% of my miles were electric miles, 96% the previous month. I bought my Volt with a full tank on Dec. 21 and put in 6.1 gallons on January 27th after driving 1518 miles. Since then I've driven 3085 miles and have used 5.8 gallons. I plan to drive a while longer before that second fill up. Outside of the 30 mile drive from Bastrop to Austin when I picked up the car, all miles have been driven in Austin. I can easily see putting in a tank or two of gas on my next trip out of town though.
Dan

·
Registered
225 Posts
Good stuff! Makes me wonder if this actual-use data will ever be able to influence the EPA window sticker, tho...

·
Administrator
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GM is obviously watching the OnStar stats very closely. Having facts is always nice, not that the haters care about facts. I would expect the "miles between fill-up" to slowly drop as more Volts hit the road with a wider range of driving habits brought into the mix. Regrettably, my stats will not be as stellar with about a 55 mile round trip and a charge at one end only. But a parking spot reserved up front for efficient cars is a nice consolation prize!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've put 1500 miles on Volt 1428 since I picked it up five weeks ago. I've used 5.2 gallons of gas. In other words I'm still using gas the dealer put in.

·
Registered
339 Posts
First time I purchased gas had over 1,600 miles on the od and then only 5 gal to keep the tank about 1/2 full and keep weight down. Roy #1019

PS: Got my gift package from GM today, the book is wonderful and the camcorder will be fun. First class.....

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Don't have as many miles on mine as the rest of you (just picked it up less than 2 weeks ago), but I'm definitely driving primarily on electric. 449 total miles, 419 EV miles, 1.2 gallons gas total (.6 used by the dealer).

Haven't stopped at a gas station so far. At this rate, might only have to stop every 2-3 months, unless some unforeseen trip out of town comes up. And that's the beauty of this car - if I need to go out of town on a long trip, I can.

Fits my driving situation perfectly! Especially since I now have a 240v Voltec charger.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Almost 3k miles on mine and used about 4.5 gallons of gas so far. At this rate I think I'll need to fill up semi-annually.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I went over 2,100 miles before my first fill-up. I had to make a 175 mile no charge trip and I was down to 3.5 gallons remaining. The fill-up took 5.4 gallons and after my trip I am sitting at 5 gallons which should last me another 2,000 miles!:D

Another thing to think about, since the ICE is running so little, the oil will only need changing at two years for calendar-time, not run-time. That means I will only have one oil change in my three year lease.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Red Volt #555 has 3420 on the odometer. Stopped for gas twice. The first for $15. And recently for $20. Currently have 7 gallons in the tank. Over 400 mpg.

·
Registered
921 Posts
How about some updates guys?

Black #3939, Total miles:5118 since June '11, 1.8 gallons used. Have yet to learn how to put gas in...

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Diamond white 4500 miles since May, 1.8 gallons
Red 1500 since Dec , 1.8 gallons most of that getting it home.

·
Registered
300 Posts
My car had about 750 dealer miles on it and had used 7.3 gallons of fuel. They filled it up when I picked it up three weeks ago. I've put about 400 miles on it now and used .1 gallons of fuel for a lifetime use of 7.4. I could have an astronomical EV mileage and my average keeps going on up every time I drive it. I think I'm sitting at about 161 mpg life time. It has become a game to see how high I can get the life time mpg. It's too bad the dealer miles had to skew it so bad. Oh well.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
3500+ miles so far on dealer gas. Used around 3.9G so far. About 1.5G getting home from MD.

My daily commute is 40.3 miles and there is no opportunity to charge at work. It took me around 2 weeks to optimize my commute and now I never run out of range getting home.

At this rate, I should make at least 7000 miles on the tank. Probably more with warmer weather approaching. Maybe I will make it a point to add gas every time I rotate the tires :).

·
Registered
923 Posts
I posted this a couple of days ago on another topic but this seems a more appropriate time and place; I'm not too happy this morning (Monday); I was on my way to setting a 'no gas' record before yesterday. I had gone 42 days without using any gasoline, EV only until yesterday morning when I go out to start my morning drive and MY Volt wants to do a 'maintenance' cycle on the engine. It asked me to say YES or NO to a 10min. running cycle but if I waived that, it would then insist on doing it within 24hours. So I said YES and then the engine came on..........I drove about 1.7 miles, using .07gals of gas when it then went back to my normal battery driving mode.

Today, I go to VoltStats and see that my 'Pluginator' status has ended at 2/11/12, over 770 miles of battery only driving.

I wanted to achieve 1,000 miles (100%) 'Pluginator' status..........now it is not going to happen. That is not fair~!

Should I have sat in the driveway for 10mins, allowing the engine to run or maybe that would not have made any difference;

Edward, if you are reading this...........please help me...........Christi Landi, if you are reading this, please help me?

My latest dilemma (lol)......yesterday, I received a 60cents/gal discount coupon from my local grocery store (SafeWay); should
I use it? What's a gas pump? Where is the gas release on the Volt? I find that I'm forgetting that gas is still needed these days~!

·
Registered
40 Posts
2000 miles on dealer gas. Haven't been to the gas station, yet.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts