GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Volt owners have the best of both worlds - inexpensive charging at home and fast access to gas almost anywhere while traveling away from home.

Charging companies such as ChargePoint and even Tesla have to make money (or at least break even) on their infrastructure investments. BEV owners will be paying for that initial investment cost in charging stations for a long time. Volt and plugin Prius owners can change at home at little or no additional cost and with no middleman (charging station owners) involved, and use the efficient and always available gas stations on trips.

As far as the high cost of using charging stations goes, imagine if you had to pay for the gas AND the building of the gas station at the same time over a short period. The cost of gas would be much higher. BEV owners are paying that additional infrastructure cost now and smoothing the way for the rest of us when we finally transit fully to EVs and away from gas.

But Volt owners with their "transitional technology" have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Volt owners have the best of both worlds - inexpensive charging at home and fast access to gas almost anywhere while traveling away from home.

Charging companies such as ChargePoint and even Tesla have to make money (or at least break even) on their infrastructure investments. BEV owners will be paying for that initial investment cost in charging stations for a long time. Volt and plugin Prius owners can change at home at little or no additional cost and with no middleman (charging station owners) involved, and use the efficient and always available gas stations on trips.

As far as the high cost of using charging stations goes, imagine if you had to pay for the gas AND the building of the gas station at the same time over a short period. The cost of gas would be much higher. BEV owners are paying that additional infrastructure cost now and smoothing the way for the rest of us when we finally transit fully to EVs and away from gas.

But Volt owners with their "transitional technology" have the best of both worlds.
Totally agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
513 Posts
I agree completely . . . . and it's the #1 reason I bought the car. I can charge when I want to (or not) when it's convenient, when it's the most affordable way to go, and never end up waiting in line or stuck because a charge station isn't working - I charge when I WANT to and not because I HAVE to

For me (an owner of 2 BEV's now for 6 years) long distance travel in a BEV still has more drawbacks than I'm willing to put up with

Don

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
My limited experience is that 3rd-party EV stations cost about as much as buying gas. If the idea was to save money, you won't unless you only charge at home. However, I wouldn't be so fast about including Tesla. While current cars sold have to pay for charging, the rates are surprisingly not bad. When I looked at New England, the price for supercharging was still less than the equivalent cost of buying gas. On average, about 20cents per kWh. New Hampshire is something like only 12 cents! I pay 14 cents at home, so it's cheaper than charging at home!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My limited experience is that 3rd-party EV stations cost about as much as buying gas. If the idea was to save money, you won't unless you only charge at home. However, I wouldn't be so fast about including Tesla. While current cars sold have to pay for charging, the rates are surprisingly not bad. When I looked at New England, the price for supercharging was still less than the equivalent cost of buying gas. On average, about 20cents per kWh. New Hampshire is something like only 12 cents! I pay 14 cents at home, so it's cheaper than charging at home!
Actually I think TESLA is a possible exception since they can make money selling their cars and (optionally) subsidize the cost of charging with their profit from sales. However this seems to be changing as Tesla is increasing the cost of charging slowly in some markets (and has the option of larger increases once a larger customer base becomes more dependent on superchargers).

But ChargePoint and the other paid services must charge more to begin with since they have no other source of profit.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Actually I think TESLA is a possible exception since they can make money selling their cars and (optionally) subsidize the cost of charging with their profit from sales. However this seems to be changing as Tesla is increasing the cost of charging slowly in some markets (and has the option of larger increases once a larger customer base becomes more dependent on superchargers).

But ChargePoint and the other paid services must charge more to begin with since they have no other source of profit.
Tesla no longer offers free Supercharging on new cars, regardless of model.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yup, that's why I bought. The other benefit for those in a hurricane zone like me, is you can use the other fuel source if one is temporarily unavailable. Gas disruptions occur before the storm is projected to hit.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Oh, we subsidize gas: With our tax dollars to the tune of hundreds of billions of dollars a year; with the lives of our servicemen and women; and with our climate and environment.

·
Registered
73 Posts
To be clear, Tesla has yet to make a profit !!!
So has Amazon, but they seem to be doing okay. Why do you think Musk said he would buy the GM plants if they shut them down? It's to take their profits and re-invest in the business. On the books it shows up as no profits, but the company grows, gains assets and pays no taxes. Same with building charging stations and a larger charging network. They take profits, reinvest in the business, gain assets, pay no taxes. Expect Tesla to do this over and over again. Meanwhile their stock price will grow and grow and grow as they gain a larger grasp of the market place because EV's have become a more and more viable option for people.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Oh, we subsidize gas: With our tax dollars to the tune of hundreds of billions of dollars a year; with the lives of our servicemen and women; and with our climate and environment.
That is a great point. People think of cost purely in terms of some sort of conceptual free market idea, but the truth is more complex, and not what people typically think it is.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
So these subsidies keep our gasoline prices artificially low. I wonder how much gas would be selling here if the subsidies were eliminated? Surely not the $8 a gallon they pay in Europe?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
And if gas prices were higher, do you think Volt and Bolt sales would be better? Heck yeah. They wouldn't feel the need to cease production of the Volt if sales were strong.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
And if gas prices were higher, do you think Volt and Bolt sales would be better? Heck yeah. They wouldn't feel the need to cease production of the Volt if sales were strong.
When gas prices were $4 a gallon in the US a few years ago, the Chevy Cruze was the number one selling car in America.

Speaking of gas prices, regular unleaded (85 octane) at my corner Safeway gas station went from $2.19 a gallon on Monday to $2.67 a gallon yesterday.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts