GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This so-called "sales failure" has higher sales to date this year than roughly half of the other 260 or so models sold in the U.S. Would you have expected the Volt to outsell both the BMW 7-Series and the Mercedes-Benz S Class, Lincoln's large sedan, the MKS, for example--not to mention the mid-size Audi A6? It did.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1079306_chevy-volt-outsells-half-the-cars-on-sale-is-that-failure

This report references sales numbers compiled by Eric Miller that was posted by JamesMcQuaid on our own gm-volt site. The post displays sales figures for Volt compared to other cars.

I'd like this headline to display on the home page every day in response to the biased "reporting" we are seeing by many with an agenda.

original post http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?17040-vehicles-that-%93no-one-wants%94-even-less-than-the-Volt&p=192597#post192597

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Nice perspective...

I wonder how Volt sales numbers compare with other vehicles in the $40K price range?

·
Registered
373 Posts
It's a curious factoid, but I don't think it really means anything. To put it in perspective, the half of all car models that sell BETTER than the Volt accounted for >93% of the overall market.

Baragona's question is headed in the right direction: how does the Volt compare against cars that are in the same price/size/class?

The Prius, for example sold about 12X more than the Volt--- which again is not a very meaningful stat.

What matters is continued growth and performance against expectations.

In a macro sense, we should all be hoping that the lifecycle sales of the Volt 1.0 are sufficient to "green light" significant design/engineering investment in the Volt 3.0 (Volt 2.0 is likely already in process) and similar BEV and EREV projects at competitors.

I don't know what those levels are, but I don't think we are there yet.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Chevy Volt Outsells Half The Cars On Sale; Is That Success?

Chevy Volt Outsells Half The Cars On Sale; Is That Success?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I like the article. Good post!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Nice shotgun list, but I'd like to see how the Volt stacks up against ICE cars of similar type and of similar price, e.g. BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Audi, Volvo.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I think it just moots the 'Volt is a failure' mantra. As has been said for a time now - the Volt outsells the Vette. But that list at least has more common man cars in the public eyes. Like the Mazda 2, 5, and CX7. Will Mazda stop making those cars for selling less cars than the Volt?????

And then there is the Audi's A3, 5 and 6. Will Audi dump those low selling car models also?

Again, the new technology and price hurts the Volt inn it's early years, The Gen 2 Volt hopefully sells for around $27,000 and then GM would sell 100,000+ per year by the time the far-right wingers stop their aggressive attacks on the Volt, which will be right after the election. Then again - if Obama wins, they could still attack the Volt, and if Romney wins and he listens to the far right - he could try and end the $7,500 tax credit and try to kill all Plug-Ins.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Nice shotgun list, but I'd like to see how the Volt stacks up against ICE cars of similar type and of similar price, e.g. BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Audi, Volvo.
Full list is at
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2012/09/august-2012-ytd-all-vehicle-rankings.html

find your favoriate...

Volt is at 13.5K YTD sales.

BMW 3 series is at 60K
BMW 5 series at 35K
BMW X5 at 25K
BMW X3 at 19K

BMW 7 seeries at 7K
BMW 1series at 5K
BMW 6series at 4.6K
BMW X6 at 3K

Volt outsold all Infinity models except G which sold 42K units

MBenz C class 49K
MB Eclass 40K
MB Mclass 25K
GLK 16K
GL class 15K

Sclass 7K
CLS class 5K
SLK 3K
R-class 1.5K
Remaining 5 MB models less than 1K

And so on.. some above, some below for the others as well

·
Registered
1,860 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I love the BMW 7

BMW 7 series at 7K

If the 7 Series did not have fun flats, I would own one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts