GM Volt Forum banner

Options mentioned in this post.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a nearby Chevrolet dealership to inquire about the Volt; however, they informed me that they are not going to be requesting to be a Volt dealer. Their excuse is that the training and effort is not worth the small profits that they will be getting. I believe that they are "missing the boat" on this: I believe that the Volt is not going to be the only EREV/EV that GM will be making. It will be in their best interest to start the training now to get ahead of their competitors.

They do have a brother dealership across state lines that does have a Volt (recently sold). I contacted that dealership, and they said that they have been allotted 4 Volts for this year. They just sold their first one. They asked me to let them know exactly what I wanted: color, etc. I am still in the process of deciding.

What do you think of the Backup Camera? is it worth it? Should I get my own camera, and can interface it with the built in screen?

Cloth vs Leather? I live in the South: it is hot 6 months out of the year. Would the leather get too hot sitting in the parking lot? How good is the Cloth?

I fairly certain on the color and wheels. I would like input on other options as well. :)

2011volt.jpg

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
The works on my next volt, Red, backup camera, leather, polished wheels .....

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
In Fresno, we also have near or over 100 degree weather for a considerable period each year. I got the cloth seats, I think they are excellent for comfort and coolness, don't think I would ever need the seat warmers anytime in this climate. And I don't miss the backup camera either. I find that the lower see-thru part of the rear hatch gives better than average rear vision behind, although there are, as always, blind spots on the edges, those are cured by careful adjustment of the side mirrors, and turning my head and actually looking back there before backing up.

I am fortunate enough to have a garage for parking in at home, and a carport at work, so I am very pleased with the air conditioning on the Volt, seems at least as powerful as any other vehicle I have been in. I will try to give a further review of it after we get some of our 100 degree weather.

Jerry, #536 in Fresno

·
Registered
357 Posts
My two cents: It is a compact car and so it is not really that hard to park. With that said, due to the sloping rear glass it does take a little time to get used to looking out the back and so the extra glass in the lower hatchback is very necessary. Money was somewhat of an issue to me and I probably spent more than I really wanted to for the Volt and so I went with the base model, no camera, no leather, no premium trim, no heated seats. I'm still convinced that was the way to go.

As far as leather goes...can't comment on the comfortability on that but I am very happy with the cloth seats and with the heat index over 100 up here in DC I can't imagine going with leather.

Congrats on the upcoming purchase. It's just a great car!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I would NEVER go to that dealer for ANYTHING. We have a local dealer with enough individual dealerships that you can basically buy almost any car from them, from Toyota to Chevy. The only thing I visit them for is warranty repair. I don't trust them for selling me a car or servicing one (when it is my money). They are 3 miles from me. I drive 25 miles or more to get to dealers I can trust. The misguided management at the dealer you mention is not just errant about the Volt. Stupidity is rarely selective; it is pervasive. I wouldn't even do business with the associate dealership.

And I recommend both options mentioned here. Our FIRST backup camera was on a Prius, and now all our vehicles have them. Too many toddlers are killed each year because drivers simply cannot see behind them in their own driveways. And your Volt is SILENT. I believe backup cameras should be mandatory (and it is not a measure of being too lazy to turn around). After having experienced them, I would never again NOT have one. I don't care how small the car is. And with a SILENT car??? I believe it complete STUPIDITY to not have a camera on the Volt. Consider a camera safety equipment that will be used much more often than your airbags- or flashers for that matter.

And the leather works even in south Florida. I used to be a fan of cloth, but after having cloth in our 1993 Roadmaster for 15 years, I changed my mind. Cloth seats get STINKY over time, and there is not much you can do about it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I ordered mine without the backup camera. I don't like those very much, they make the driver focus on what's immediately behind the car, without any feedback on what's coming from the side. Relying on a backup camera makes it too easy to back out of a driveway into the path of an oncoming cyclist, rollerblader or runner. I'd rather turn around and actually get a good view of what's happening all around the rear of the vehicle.

I would have preferred the cloth seats to leather, but I still got the leather for two reasons:

-I really wanted the heated seats since the heater in the volt isn't super powerful, and I'm in Eastern Canada
-I really don't like the white center console, and there is no other option with the cloth seats.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I ordered mine without the backup camera. they make the driver focus on what's immediately behind the car
One place were the backup camera really excels is when backing out of a parking spot, stuck between two lumbering SUVs. It gets a view of what's coming down the lanes long before the driver does.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The backup camera isn't that great but it's well worth the price if only, as Rusty mentions, when backing out of a parking place sandwiched between two big vehicles.

The leather seats are *very* comfortable and the heated seats work great. Obviously don't have the cloth so I can't really compare.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Can someone with cloth seats post some detailed pics? I would consider the cloth if it is nice cloth...for example, the Equinox has great cloth seats and if they are of that detail and definition I would go w/ cloth in my car...but the spice red is still calling me.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Our volt would not start the day before we were to go on a 2000 mile 10 day trip. (kept initializing) The dealership recommended we take a rental that GM paid for, a 2013 Malibu. Things we missed most were the backup camera and the smooth quite no shift response of the volt. The Malibu had as good or better power but was very irritating to drive after owning the Volt. Constant shifting, slow noisy throttle response, having to drag breaks down hill. The only thing I liked about the Malibu is the electric seat.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have backup camera, leather, Safety options 1 and 2 on my 2013. I live in Phoenix, az ... it was 109. I recommend all these options.

As a general comment, its a $40K car before rebates and tax credit, why not add a few options, its not that much more cost in terms of percent. More specifically: I have had leather seats in all of my cars for the past 20 years. Leather gets hot if the car is sitting in the sun parked, but it also wears much better and looks nicer (my opinion) than cloth. On the back up camera ... ever since my wife backed our 1 week old Avalanche without a camera into the neighbors car, we have gone with the backup camera. ($900 damage to the neighbor, $0 to the Avalanche). The Volt has much better rear visibility than the Avalanche but its not great. Once you use the backup camera you will probably come to love having it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
If I did it again and had a choice I think I would do the leather, safety 1, polished wheels, backup camera, NO NAV. With that said I still can't get use to using the camera. But atleast it used everyday unlike the NAV.

I currently have Leather, Safety 1 and 2, Backup Camera and NAV. I really was hesitant on the Nav Package but I didn't really have a choice since I had to buy a car on the Lot for the deal I was getting at Keyes. I almost never use my Nav. even when I use onstar for directions I barely look at the screen. The current phones are so good that you can definitely get away without NAV. Personally for me any way.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I recommend the cloth seats for hot weather, I did not like the leather seats in my Mercedes driving in the southeast states (but they are ok for northern climates and do not stain) it depends how and where you drive. Do you have kids that spill soda or milkshakes on them? Cloth will be cheaper to repair or replace years from now when the seats tear or wear out (plan on keeping my Volt for 20 years plus)...

The backup camera might be nice but the little window in the hatchback makes it better for backing than most cars I have driven so you do not need it.

You will love your Volt, I do at 26k miles 10 months - zero buyers remorse (well wish I caught the price reduction)...

·
Registered
2013 Diamond White
383 Posts
The back up camera isn't an either or. It is in addition to looking in mirrors and thru the back and side windows. It also has a degree of peripheral vision that helps, as others have mentioned when backing out between to larger vehicles. One of my neighbors hit bid buddy's BEEMER with his 4runner backing out of his driveway. Toyota so tall, he didn't see the little 328I. A backup camera could have prevented this.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Get the backup camera option. I like it a lot, while it's no where near as bad of a blind spot as my Avalanche was, I live in neighborhood with lots of children buzzing about and those that leave tricycles and such around. It's nice to see down low where I am backing up. I put an aftermarket camera on my Avalanche (cute wireless thing I bought at Costco that I plugged into the trailer light plug so it came on when I went into reverse). It was OK, but it's not as nice as the Volt one.

The seats are up to you. I like my leather. I've had lever in my last three Chevies (Suburban, Avalance, and Volt).

·
Registered
185 Posts
Is there an option with the backup camera where it shows the "lines" and helps you park in reverse? I've parked in reverse a few times and never had them come up.. I know my grandmother's Cadillac has it and it's pretty nice.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Is there an option with the backup camera where it shows the "lines" and helps you park in reverse? I've parked in reverse a few times and never had them come up.. I know my grandmother's Cadillac has it and it's pretty nice.
Nope...there was a software feud...and the lines went with it, at least for the 13 and 14 models

·
Registered
82 Posts
Volt Options,
Bought my VOLT on Dec 18, 2013 and love it.
I bought back up camera and leather - no navigation.
The back up camera is great - as I back out of my garage and make a slight turn (and continue to turn), the camera picks up the immediate alley and progressively the entire alley, so I avoid backing into alley traffic. This works just as well pulling out of perpendicular spaces in parking lots. Keep the camera lens (located above the license) clean.

Would never have cloth seats - which I think are unattractive, wear poorly and as someone else mentioned, get "stinkey" (don't wish to speculate why - but you can guess). Also, the Volt's front seat isn't the most the most spacious cabin to enter - much easier to slide onto leather than more sticky fabric. Live in Chicago area and we get our share of 100+ degree days in summer and very cold winters. I am hoping the windshield tint will keep the leather from getting too hot in summer and the Volt's excellent seat heaters warm your butt before you even start driving. I read that the seat heaters are actually more effective/efficient than the cabin heater.

I wanted the polished wheels, my wife did not. Since I was the one wanting the Volt, I compromised and am pleased that I did. The painted wheels are more subdued and in the winter slush, look the same as the polished.

2014 Black/black
Dark console, Back-up camera, Painted wheels
2000 Mercedes Benz SL500 roadster
Leather

·
Registered
352 Posts
I had planned on backup camera and CLOTH. The cloth seats were too firm for my likeing , so we went w/ leather, backup camera and heated seats.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts