GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently someone posted about an article somewhere that said the Volt is one of the worst cars. I can't find it now, but I decided to comment. I don't know why the Volt is so disliked by the public. In any list of electric cars, the Volt isn't even mentioned. It's like it doesn't exist. This has been going on as long as the Volt has been around. I think the 2011, the first Volt, got some recognition, but nothing since. Just about all Volt owners love their cars. Almost everyone who gets in the car and drives it likes it. I think my gen 2 is one of the best-looking cars ever made. I know it isn't a sports car, it isn't meant to be. I remember one reviewer that said it was like driving a farm implement (tractor?). And then there is the fact that it's a Chevrolet and all the baggage that goes along with that. Electric car purists don't like the fact that it has a gas generator. Anyway, there is a disconnect between how people who actually own a Volt view their cars and how reviewers view it. What happened?

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
Part of it is political, GM got bailout money. Part of it is political, the Volt was advertised as being "green". Part of it is political, Obama sat in one. Part of it is attitude toward new technology, like LED light bulbs vs. traditional incandescent. Part of it is simply anti-GM.

My brother will never consider GM because in the 70's the paint on our parent's car flaked off and both the dealer and GM regional told them to pound sand.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
You actually have to think about what the car does to appreciate it. The econocar my Volt replaced needed a fill up at least once a week. My lifetime gas mileage is over 250mpg and has better performance than the old car. I haven't needed brakes yet. Two years between oil changes...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I'd say if the Volt had come out with a Cruze + 10K MSRP it would have had a much better reception. But 41 for a subcompact car and it doesn't even have power seats? C'mon Man.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
493 Posts
I enjoy driving my 2017 more than any other car I've owned previously. I like all digital screens verses analog, the ACC and built in NAV, the smooth quiet drive and acceleration, and yes you have to drive it to appreciate it.

On the negative, the car has spent more days in the shop than any other car I've owned before (IIRC 3-4 weeks), all within the first 4 years of ownership. The bulk of those were the BECM which was replaced twice, the shifter replaced once, plus a broken shift cable, satellite antenna failed, and a failed sway bar link. The primary problems are parts availability delays and service delays due to the Volt tech being backed up. I don't foresee the parts and tech factors improving. The battery cost didn't come down as some projected, and replacing 1 of the 3 battery sections runs around $4k, roughly on par with an engine replacement. Breaking down a section and just replacing a failed cell at a lower cost also didn't come to be.

I believe that's a pretty balanced assessment, not with a positive or negative bias, just the facts as they are today. I'm having doubts the car will last 12-15 years as I would expect with any other car, primarily due to the battery cost, but we'll see as that's unknown. That last part also goes to the hesitation with the general car buyer. This is normally the 2nd highest purchase for a person, and it's reasonable that people would wait to see some longer term reliability data before taking a chance on something new. As I noted in another thread, the first Volts are just reaching the 9-10 year mark, and the Leaf had battery issues.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'd say if the Volt had come out with a Cruze + 10K MSRP it would have had a much better reception. But 41 for a subcompact car and it doesn't even have power seats? C'mon Man.
Yea, I have had my Gen 2 Volt for 2.5 years now.
I like it, but it had a 35k+ sticker price, and it the base-model.
After living with it for this long, I still like it, but that price does seem steep.
Could have a few nicer interior touches, like the door panels on the regular Cruze are nicer than in the Volt.

The Volt does get cheaper with the rebates, but most folks don't really factor that in as they should, with the general public being low-information as they are.

As for worst car, the Volt does tick a lot of boxes people don't like:
new model car
complex drivetrain
new teck
GM product
they might have to learn something new about a car
crampt interior space, even for a compact car

I know a lot about cars, and I feel I am taking a gamble on this Volt big-time, I can only imagine the average buyers feelings about the Volt..... who knows nothing about a car who just wants to drive it.......

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Volt was conceived when original Prius was in it's glory days. It was planned to beat Prius. That it did.

However the hatching was troublesome and took way longer than planned, thus the Volt hit the dealer rooms way too late. By 2011 it was beating a car from 2003, hype for the hybrid was gone and movie starts were moving to something else (Not Jennifer Lawrence, she got a Volt!). Even though late Volt still beat the Prius and made Toyota do introduce the PHEV & Prime later on. Objective reached, fine car and technology demo and all but people moved on.

By 2013 it was clear that technology is great, but's it's in wrong car. They tried the ELR, even marketed it, but truth is that Cruze with VolTec and Power Seats didn't cut it. By 2015 it was clear that this is not working, refresh was made but Opel opted out. So out that it's now Peugeot.

In the end the political and hype climate moved to full EV's (or precisely Tesla) and GM realized that Truckers don't like EV, everyone else like EV.. Let's make trucks and and EV (Bolt).

And so ended the story for Volt. Not a bad car, but not a great car and value proposition was for the keepers. But it did start the EV revolution and set the standards around the world (competitors, legistlation, etc.).

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
I bought the year one Volt and hands down it's the best car I ever owned. Virtually no issues, the dealership rarely sees me. After 9-1/2 years, my repair expenses are in the $500 range. My experience has been so good, I bought a Bolt when they came out , to replace our other car.

But many have no clue how the Volt works and fear the unknown or listen to others with an axe to grind.

Reactions: uchual and Norton

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Especially since the Cruze was the test mule for the Voltec drivetrain.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Volt was conceived when original Prius was in it's glory days. It was planned to beat Prius. That it did.

However the hatching was troublesome and took way longer than planned, thus the Volt hit the dealer rooms way too late. By 2011 it was beating a car from 2003, hype for the hybrid was gone and movie starts were moving to something else (Not Jennifer Lawrence, she got a Volt!). Even though late Volt still beat the Prius and made Toyota do introduce the PHEV & Prime later on. Objective reached, fine car and technology demo and all but people moved on.

By 2013 it was clear that technology is great, but's it's in wrong car. They tried the ELR, even marketed it, but truth is that Cruze with VolTec and Power Seats didn't cut it. By 2015 it was clear that this is not working, refresh was made but Opel opted out. So out that it's now Peugeot.

In the end the political and hype climate moved to full EV's (or precisely Tesla) and GM realized that Truckers don't like EV, everyone else like EV.. Let's make trucks and and EV (Bolt).

And so ended the story for Volt. Not a bad car, but not a great car and value proposition was for the keepers. But it did start the EV revolution and set the standards around the world (competitors, legistlation, etc.).
All good points KNI, however not to overlook the value proposition of a $38K car that had the interior room of a $20k Cruze and saved $500/year on gas at $2.50/gallon. Don't get me wrong, love my Volt. When I explain this to a dolt, they say, where's the savings? It's about the tech. Not going to drive a Cruze, thank you.

I thought that if the value proposition worked out, that what we called the Volt would become the mainstream Malibu, or at least a highly featured version. As it played out, without rebates/incentives/govt. mileage mandates, not happening.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I went from a BMW i3 to a 2017 volt. I have to say that when shopping around for the BMW, I did look at the Volt. And to be honest at that time I wasn't very impressed but I think part was because I really didn't know much about it. The BMW was always marketed as an electric with a range extender. (The rex model) even some articles I read about it said it was the only car like that. (Fake news!).
Now I have a Volt, other than the fancy build materials, I think the Volt is so much better than the BMW i3. Better in driving, comfort, practicality, service. Hell with the BMW, I basically had to "code" or hack the car just to have a hold mode. And to run the gas engine was a ridiculous hidden procedure just to get it started not like simply opening the hood.
I like having a unique car like the Volt and think that GM should resurrect its idea.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I like having a unique car like the Volt and think that GM should resurrect its idea.
gm says it's future is all electric. Last chance for a PHEV might be something like the hypercar 4WD version of the Corvette where enthusiasts will pay big $ for the performance boost.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Recently someone posted about an article somewhere that said the Volt is one of the worst cars......
It's not one of the worst. It's TWO of the worst.
It's not a good electric car. It is too heavy, has too short a range, doesn't have sprightly acceleration.
It's not a good gasoline powered car. It's too heavy, has too short a range, doesn't have good acceleration.
Carrying a liquid fuel tank, an internal combustion engine, exhaust system with cat converters and muffler and evaporative emissions systems cuts into battery space to make full BEV much better from those points. Carrying the traction battery, charger, inverter, generator cuts into passenger and cargo space, adds weight, and leaves a smallish fuel tank that collectively conspire to make a not-so-economical ICE vehicle with reluctant handling and ho-hum acceleration.
It's like a modern Amphicar, and that was neither a good boat nor a good car.
Do I like mine? Heck yes! They (not singular 'it') are the best cars despite being encumbered by the chimera effect.
I don't want two cars, one an electric commuter for the work week and another for long distance weekend and vacation jaunts. With the Volt I don't have to register, insure, park, service TWO cars to have the best of each. With the 1 1/2 cars built into the Volt I have my electric commuter and my long range traveller.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Recently someone posted about an article somewhere that said the Volt is one of the worst cars. I can't find it now, but I decided to comment. I don't know why the Volt is so disliked by the public. In any list of electric cars, the Volt isn't even mentioned. It's like it doesn't exist. This has been going on as long as the Volt has been around. I think the 2011, the first Volt, got some recognition, but nothing since. Just about all Volt owners love their cars. Almost everyone who gets in the car and drives it likes it. I think my gen 2 is one of the best-looking cars ever made. I know it isn't a sports car, it isn't meant to be. I remember one reviewer that said it was like driving a farm implement (tractor?). And then there is the fact that it's a Chevrolet and all the baggage that goes along with that. Electric car purists don't like the fact that it has a gas generator. Anyway, there is a disconnect between how people who actually own a Volt view their cars and how reviewers view it. What happened?
Since I bought mine I realized I did NOT hate Chevys! I hate most Chevy dealers though. I do love my Volt. I think my 1st Gen 2014 is very good looking, even if it has a fat ass. It reminds me of a '90 Nissan 300zx. It does have a few quirks but I do love it so.

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
Don't forget, Volt owners also suffer from not having to visit the gas station so often. Then there is that whole hatchback thing that enables you to put some really big stuff in the back of that sedan. Awful. Way to practical...

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 2019 LT (loaded) Volt is my 22nd car! I have cars ranging from BMW"s (overrated, high maintenance), Porsche (356SC old school), Trans Am (1972 One of my favorites 4 on the floor, 9 miles to gallon YIKES), Mercedes (450SE a tank! kept for 17 years). My 21st car was 2011 Volt ( 24th off the line), LOVED it till I got totaled. Got the 2019 in October 2018 ( lease due this year). Debating whether to keep, at this time only 10,700 miles. Kelly Book value higher than end of lease purchase. I love the Volt and wished I could do all the things I did to every car I had! High performance tires, Bilsteins etc. I was absolutely pissed when GM said they were dropping the Volt. it's a GREAT CAR! I have put gas in two times, 85% electric miles. Every time I give someone a lift/ride, they're blown away how good the car is! When I was looking to lease, I could have gotten a 2018 Premier. I read many reviews of the 2019 and the purported firmer suspension along other little improvements sold me! I got mine from Rydell Chevy, Northridge, CA. The deal was decent, what I didn't realize how loaded an LT I got. Leather seats (that was a must!), comfort package, cruise control, Bose radio, Blackout logos (who cares).
If i turn it in, I'll post so anybody on the forum wanting to buy a GREAT used VOLT( still smell the leather) I'll post the VIN #.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It's not one of the worst. It's TWO of the worst.
It's not a good electric car. It is too heavy, has too short a range, doesn't have sprightly acceleration.
It's not a good gasoline powered car. It's too heavy, has too short a range, doesn't have good acceleration.
Carrying a liquid fuel tank, an internal combustion engine, exhaust system with cat converters and muffler and evaporative emissions systems cuts into battery space to make full BEV much better from those points. Carrying the traction battery, charger, inverter, generator cuts into passenger and cargo space, adds weight, and leaves a smallish fuel tank that collectively conspire to make a not-so-economical ICE vehicle with reluctant handling and ho-hum acceleration.
It's like a modern Amphicar, and that was neither a good boat nor a good car.
Do I like mine? Heck yes! They (not singular 'it') are the best cars despite being encumbered by the chimera effect.
I don't want two cars, one an electric commuter for the work week and another for long distance weekend and vacation jaunts. With the Volt I don't have to register, insure, park, service TWO cars to have the best of each. With the 1 1/2 cars built into the Volt I have my electric commuter and my long range traveller.
Not sure I agree with several of these points.

IMO the Volt is quite peppy and holds its own during acceleration. In fact I think the largest thing holding back the Volts acceleration is the tires. Easy to spin them, even with traction control.

I'd like just a wee bit more electric range but for most of my driving the 53 mile range has been sufficient. If it's not then you bought the wrong electric vehicle. I've rarely used the ICE so I don't have a lot of mileage information for it but when I did use it high 30's is easily possible. Not the best but certainly better than a lot of gas only vehicles.

I have no issues with the seating or storage ability of the car. If you need to haul more people (I've had no complaints when travelling with four adults) or stuff then you have purchased the wrong vehicle.

I agree that it's essentially two cars in one and has all the draw backs of an ICE vehicle along with an EV vehicle. But such is the price for a hybrid. I've thought about replacing my Volt with a pure EV but still have a few range restrictions that make me uncomfortable using one for certain trips.

I can't say the Volt is a bad car, or ever two bad cars, I think it's a great car and what it is is why I bought it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Another point I was thinking about. it seems like there's so many people that it's taboo to even think to run the gas engine. Well I bought the car for what it is. It has the flexibility I love. I want to start and run the ice, and with the Volt I can whenever I want. I would have bought a true EV if that's what I wanted. I bought the volt for exactly what it is. Lots want to shame you for even thinking of running the ice! Sorry if off topic!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts