GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I haven't seen anything like this from my dealership, and hopefully this is before state and federal incentives. I predict prices will keep dropping especially when the bolt and tesla model 3 start to ship in numbers. It's all supply and demand. What's screwy is that it's the middle of summer and deals don't traditionally start until the fall near the end of a model year. So we usually see great deals and incentives come in nov or dec after new model year cars arrive, but GM is selling 2017 vehicles in spring of 2016 instead of starting them in August. So we have until August 2017 to wait for end of model year clearance sales, right? It would be weird to start seeing huge incentives come in fall of 2016 for a 2017 vehicle. But incentives usually follow poor sales numbers so maybe this is a sign that GM isn't selling as many as they had hoped. I and many G1 owners are perfectly happy with our G1s. Although I could definitely use more range with my 50 mile per day commute, there's no hard reason for me to trade up as I'm already enamoured with getting 80-85 MPG lifetime. The math nerd in me keeps coming to the conclusion that the money spent on a g2 will never have a real ROI other than the feeling of having a new car that covers more of my commute in electric mode. The math just doesn't justify it. So a better investment if I ignore the math and just use my feelings is to get an ELR as it would make me feel awesome...but I'm too practical to waste a perfectly good G1. So, driving it into the ground, it is....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes, GM Is currently offering 20% off remaining 2016 Premier Volts. If you're lucky, you will find some dealers who will give you a dealer discount on top of the 20%. I believe this sale ends July 8th.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Hi,

I got this offer in email from the dealer I bought my 2012 from. Looks pretty good to me. Can I get better some place else?

See attachment.
Yep, '16s have been flying out of DC/VA/MD showrooms ever since that 20% off deal started.

I would think it should be fairly easy to get at least $3k off MSRP as a dealer discount BEFORE the 20% rebate is applied (at least it should have been before the 20% rebate began), but people are sucking up the leftover 16s like people scarfing down pizza at Cici Pizza's pizza buffet, so you might not have the luxury of haggling a "max" deal. The 20% rebate by itself is a killer deal already.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Yes, GM Is currently offering 20% off remaining 2016 Premier Volts. If you're lucky, you will find some dealers who will give you a dealer discount on top of the 20%. I believe this sale ends July 8th.

'16 LTs are also eligible, just GM is not advertising them openly. I think the last '16 LT sold in MD yesterday....I was inquiring about it with the dealer that had it, and it literally sold between my 1st and last email I sent.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Just purchased on Sunday, 070316, 2016 Volt 20% off MSRP from GM and dealer added an extra $3,000 off on top of that. Over $11,000 total for the LTZ, loaded, MSRP was $40,225. Wilsonville Chevrolet, just south of Portland Oregon. The last 2016 that they had...

·
Administrator
19,984 Posts

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
The ad is the nationwide 20% offer which should be offered everywhere...Just a matter of getting them to discount the sales price...Did a quick nationwide search on autotrader and there are 77 MY16 Premiers...

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
It is truly a feeding frenzy. The 5 '16s I found on various dealership websites in my area that I asked about have either already been sold, or are in the process of being sold. One that wasn't actually sold yet, the dealer said they were getting inquiries from all over the country and would only give a $500 dealer discount on top of the rebate.

Clarkson, better get on that horse ASAP!

·
Registered
948 Posts
It is truly a feeding frenzy. The 5 '16s I found on various dealership websites in my area that I asked about have either already been sold, or are in the process of being sold. One that wasn't actually sold yet, the dealer said they were getting inquiries from all over the country and would only give a $500 dealer discount on top of the rebate.

Clarkson, better get on that horse ASAP!
So then make a prediction on number of sales for July -- 2,000? 2,200? From looking at cars.com a couple weeks ago I think there was about 400-500 2016 models showing in inventory IIRC.... I bet that number will be pretty low a few days from now.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
So then make a prediction on number of sales for July -- 2,000? 2,200? From looking at cars.com a couple weeks ago I think there was about 400-500 2016 models showing in inventory IIRC.... I bet that number will be pretty low a few days from now.
I think the 2k barrier will definitely be broken....maybe even have a chance to eclipse 3k if the '17s sell well enough?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can we expect to see a similar discount this time next year if there are 2017s still on the lot while the 2018s are out? I haven't followed GM marketing so I was curious to know if this is an annual expectation or an incredibly good offer. I priced out a 2016 Volt Premier MSRP at $40,038, marked down to $28,589 before the federal $7,500 credit and the expiring Ca $2,500 credit.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Can we expect to see a similar discount this time next year if there are 2017s still on the lot while the 2018s are out? I haven't followed GM marketing so I was curious to know if this is an annual expectation or an incredibly good offer. I priced out a 2016 Volt Premier MSRP at $40,038, marked down to $28,589 before the federal $7,500 credit and the expiring Ca $2,500 credit.
Probably...this is simple. Gas prices are LOW, very low. The Volt, while priced at a premium market, is still a small car that is utterly misunderstood. Supply is high and demand is low=discounts.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I would agree that 2K Volt sales should happen in July...Articles state that Costco is the #2 auto seller in the country in which was always selling the Volt under invoice...But especially for those on the purchase side (vs leasing) folks repeatedly state their local dealer will only knock a various amount and most deals are over invoice...Just saying 20% off is powerful and can allow folks to get at least 20% from their local dealer without having to shop around...Very possible this month or next month the advertise 20% off for MY16s LTs as well which some say they'll do now but they're advertising...Would love to the July MY16 vs MY17 sales breakdown but guessing that's not happening...

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
The Volt was and still is a much understood car. Even today some people still believe when you run out of electricity your stranded. When I tell them you just keep going as the gas engine kick in and you can still go at least 300 miles or so they didn't know that.

Before we bought our 2014 Volt in Oct. 2013 I though the Volt was just a hybrid and didn't realize the electric propulsion is pure 100% electric the engine doesn't kick in except of course in certain circumstances...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts