GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK just watched the show "How Do They Do It" on Discovery or History or whatnot, and they were talking about making wiper blades. So they went to the Bosch wiper blade factory in Tienen, Belgium, which they said was the largest wiper blade factory in the world.

The replacement OEM, 'beam'-style Volt wiper blades I bought from my Chevy dealer a while back are labeled Made in Belgium.

While I am glad they were not another Chinese product, like most wiper blades, I was disappointed they were not Made in USA. (Any that still are?)

So I guess unless GM has its own wiper blade plant also located somewhere in Belgium, (a remote possibility with Opel, perhaps?) then these OEM Volt blades must be coming from Bosch.

Generally have always been pleased with Bosch products for other cars, plus the Chevy dealer's OEM blades were cheaper than the replacement retail Bosch and Anco blades being sold at Autozone, etc. Plus, they fit perfectly, and also I guess buying them from Chevy means at least GM gets some money out of the sale.

·
Administrator
20,794 Posts
There was a previous thread on this that also concluded the blades are by Bosch.

The seem to be great quality. My blades will be 4 years old come May and they are still as good as they were day one. Of course, to minimize abrasion from windshield grit, I clean and wax them weekly along with the rest of the car. I also take care in the winter to thoroughly clear ice (waxed glass helps) that can wear blades.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was a previous thread on this that also concluded the blades are by Bosch.

The seem to be great quality. My blades will be 4 years old come May and they are still as good as they were day one. Of course, to minimize abrasion from windshield grit, I clean and wax them weekly along with the rest of the car. I also take care in the winter to thoroughly clear ice (waxed glass helps) that can wear blades.
Mine are squeaking and chattering -- although I have no idea if they had ever been replaced by the prior owner with aftermarket blades. But now spring is here and time for the new OEM Bosch blades, lol...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I prefer to use Silblade. They offer a 5yr warranty w/ea blade. The really do last 5yrs in the FL heat��.

·
Administrator
20,794 Posts
4 years in Illinois? The salt/ice hasn't chewed them up?
Yes, they are 4 years on the car in the Chicago weather.

As I mentioned, I wash them weekly year round as well as the rest of the car. I also wipe them down with Turtle Wax ICE, same as I use on the car paint, front and rear windshields. Keeping the windows clean reduces the grit and ice. Keeping the windows waxed helps to keep them clean, and ice removal easier. Wiping the blades down keeps them from drying out and lubes them a bit. I also refill the washer fluid every week while I have the hood open so I'll never be running the wipers dry. I have no streaks, no chattering, and as far as I can tell, no or minimal wear.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I just replaced my OEM blades with a set of Bosch ICON blades. It is obvious they are exactly same wiper :)
I went to Walmart to pick up new wipers yesterday and encountered a problem. The Bosch ICON blades I found have a directional spoiler on them, so they would be facing the wrong way for the passenger side blade. Am I missing something?
They only have the 26A in store. Would the 26OE be the correct fit?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did Walmart have the little computer device showing proper fit models for the blades for the Volt? I believe the blades are not the same length on both sides. One is longer.

I researched this when I originally had to get the replacement blades several months ago -- and I found that most of the ones at Autozone and the other aftermarket shops had only one or two beam-type models that would fit. However they were not competitively priced.

So I looked on the internet and found a dealer in another state that was selling the OEM GM Delco Volt replacement blades for the cheapest I could find (cheaper than aftermarket shop brands and also other Chevy dealers' prices), and I took a printout of the ad to the local Chevy dealer and asked them to match it. They did, and so I got those. They were much cheaper than almost all the aftermarket brand 'beam' type blades sold at the auto parts stores, plus they were OEM fit. They are not the highest level Delco replacement blades from what I can tell (Delco sells higher level, aftermarket ones with larger spoilers, larger mounting points, etc.), but for the cost, plus the fact these were the ones designed for the car, they were the right ones to pick IMHO. GM's wiper brochure even touted that the OEM blades are at just the right height for the wash arm mounts and that aftermarket blades can protrude too high off the glass, causing uneven pressure on the blades and wear -- or something like that.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
The OEM blades are both 26" long, but they are different from each other due to the spoiler.

·
Administrator
20,794 Posts
The OEM blades are both 26" long, but they are different from each other due to the spoiler.
Er, the spoiler? Mine don't have a spoiler unless it's so small it can't be seen. :) They look identical, have not measured them though.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
The spoiler is the length of the blade. If you look at your blades, you'll see a slope from the front of the blade on up. Try switching the OEM blades from side to side and you'll see what I mean.

·
Administrator
20,794 Posts
The spoiler is the length of the blade. If you look at your blades, you'll see a slope from the front of the blade on up. Try switching the OEM blades from side to side and you'll see what I mean.
:) Learned something new! Thanks!

wiper blade spoiler.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts