GM Volt Forum banner

Volt not in low cost of ownership list? Prius won 1st place

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  quantumorbit 
#1 ·
I wonder where the VOLT falls on this list. Perhaps it wasn't part of the study due to its short age. The Prius does have a solid well deserved reputation though.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/the-most-and-least-expensive-cars-to-maintain-by-maddy-martin

Text Font Line Document Number

"Toyota and other Asian imports are the least expensive cars to maintain, with the Prius living up to its well-known reputation for reliability. Along with many Toyota models, Kia’s Soul and Honda’s Fit hold close to Prius’s low-cost lead."

See less See more
#2 ·
That list is for cost of maintenance only, including scheduled maintenance and also fixing things that break. Other costs like purchase price, fuel, insurance, etc are not included. The Volt should have lower fuel cost than the Prius, but higher purchase price.

The Volt provides a lot more value for the money than the Prius, since you can drive without the engine running most of the time. However, the Prius is a great alternative for people that can not afford a Volt.

GSP

#3 ·
I'd say the Volt wasn't considered. Very little scheduled maintenance and above average reliability, means it should be up there, assuming the tax credits and other rebates are factored in. (Might not have been, who knows). Given that cheapest isn't necessarily, or even likely, the best value, seems like a weird list. Also highly variable. If you have a major problem then, while on average, the cost of repairs are low, it wouldn't be for you.

#4 ·
That is a great article with very useful data that is not widely available. Thanks for linking it.

Notably absent from the data are any EVs. Tesla, Nissan Leaf, Volt, etc. seem to be missing. Maybe they were not high or low enough to warrant mention, or maybe there was not enough data on those to include. Or maybe the question of battery replacement is too big of a mystery to make them comparable. Also missing was the Corvette, which is notoriously unreliable. Again, maybe not enough data?

I would like to know more about where the data comes from and how big the data set and over what time frame.

One thing to remember about this data is that is is not just about the dollar figures quoted. Every maintenance visit is an inconvenience and consumes your time. Repairs and breakdowns, much more so. A no-start means at a minimum you are late, or maybe you missed an important appointment, etc. It throws off your whole day.

#5 ·
They're using data from people using their service. They basically hook you up to a mechanic in your area, kind of Angie's List for cars.

Here's what they have to say:

"At YourMechanic, we have a massive dataset of the make and model of the cars we have serviced and the type of maintenance done. We decided to use our data to understand which cars break down the most and have the highest maintenance costs. We also looked into which types of maintenance are most common to certain cars."

I think the Volt is probably not included because most faults fall in the 5yr/100k mile warranty and are handled by a GM dealer. I did check and the Volt is listed in their website as a vehicle that you can service, although not sure if independent shops are qualified to service a Volt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.